NIL Arms Race

Mike Jackson

NIL Collectives - The Athletic

This article is behind a paywall but it is interesting.  The guys on 1310 The Ticket were talking about this.  It just made me wonder if we had enough disappointed but still engaged fans/alumni to create a NIL collective of any significance?  Maybe to get that one QB that wouldn't ordinarily come here but with a virtual guarante to start here as a true freshman and a NIL deal would reconsider?

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

NIL Collectives - The Athletic

This article is behind a paywall but it is interesting.  The guys on 1310 The Ticket were talking about this.  It just made me wonder if we had enough disappointed but still engaged fans/alumni to create a NIL collective of any significance?  Maybe to get that one QB that wouldn't ordinarily come here but with a virtual guarante to start here as a true freshman and a NIL deal would reconsider?

This is a pay article which I will not pay for but the subject matter is of grave concern.  What exactly is UNT doing to support and develop a NIL program?  I have not seen anything about it.  Seems like we may be missing the bus,

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

13 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This is a pay article which I will not pay for but the subject matter is of grave concern.  What exactly is UNT doing to support and develop a NIL program?  I have not seen anything about it.  Seems like we may be missing the bus,

At the end of the day, the buck stops with us... generating donations from the fanbase is going to be where the money needs to come from... for instance, if we started a grassroots campaign here at GMG, and asked for $100 donations, i'm not sure that we would have more than 50 takers (I'm sure some would donate a lot more and some would donate less), so then we see what $5K does across multiple sports and you compare that to what, apparently, OU is doing, and it doesn't even compare

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

At the end of the day, the buck stops with us... generating donations from the fanbase is going to be where the money needs to come from... for instance, if we started a grassroots campaign here at GMG, and asked for $100 donations, i'm not sure that we would have more than 50 takers (I'm sure some would donate a lot more and some would donate less), so then we see what $5K does across multiple sports and you compare that to what, apparently, OU is doing, and it doesn't even compare

Obviously programs like OU and Texas will do this on a different level.  I am more concerned about programs in our AAC sphere like SMUt, Memphis, UAB and nUTSAck.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I get that a fund we generate would only be able to NIL money whip one barely 4 star player here each recruiting class at best.  So competing with the better P5 programs just isn't feasible.  Target a QB every 2 years that is borderline out of league.  After +40 years thinking small and mismanagement of the athletic department funds; donations to the MGSF is a very hard sell to your average alumni who wants to proudly acknowledge his/her alma mater once in a while.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Alabama is gonna be a big loser??

As proven by 2022 A&M class. Money is going to be the top tool for recruiting and I believe UT and A&M will have a lot more than Bama. It has been speculated that the UT qb guy is in the 7 figure range.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

As proven by 2022 A&M class. Money is going to be the top tool for recruiting and I believe UT and A&M will have a lot more than Bama. It has been speculated that the UT qb guy is in the 7 figure range.

Alabama had a higher per-recruit rating than A&M.  A&M only finished higher because they signed 30 commits in the class to Bama's 25.

As long as Saban is there, Alabama will be just fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here is another big problem with programs giving out NIL $$....Players now have NIL agents.  They want to get more for their player from the school or they threaten to walk (enter the portal)...

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

Here is another big problem with programs giving out NIL $$....Players now have NIL agents.  They want to get more for their player from the school or they threaten to walk (enter the portal)...

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

This was predicted. Follow the money! One thing to keep in mind NIL is legal for HS players in California. Look fo this to be approved by other states. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, Jonnyeagle said:

Obviously programs like OU and Texas will do this on a different level.  I am more concerned about programs in our AAC sphere like SMUt, Memphis, UAB and nUTSAck.

Right there with you. I know we aren't going to compete with the big boys, but I'm EXTREMELY concerned we aren't even being competitive compared to other G5 programs.  I'm seeing other schools bring in sought after P5 transfers while we're having to settle for FCS guys. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Right there with you. I know we aren't going to compete with the big boys, but I'm EXTREMELY concerned we aren't even being competitive compared to other G5 programs.  I'm seeing other schools bring in sought after P5 transfers while we're having to settle for FCS guys. 

The FCS transfers don't bother me a bit. There are plenty of guys playing FCS that can excel at this level. There were 18 FCS players that were just drafted.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

The FCS transfers don't bother me a bit. There are plenty of guys playing FCS that can excel at this level. There were 18 FCS players that were just drafted.

There are players out there at every level but, by and large, FCS players carry higher risk

It's why 259 players get drafted, and only 18 FCS were among them.  It's why higher tier P5s don't rely on them, and it's why a program that does rely on them, is probably a struggling G5.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

There are players out there at every level but, by and large, FCS players carry higher risk

It's why 259 players get drafted, and only 18 FCS were among them.  It's why higher tier P5s don't rely on them, and it's why a program that does rely on them, is probably a struggling G5.

You completely missed the point. If a guy is FCS and can ball we need him and the fact he is FCS is not a detractor. The last guy we got from ACU worked out pretty damn well. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

You completely missed the point. If a guy is FCS and can ball we need him and the fact he is FCS is not a detractor. The last guy we got from ACU worked out pretty damn well. 

I think you're missing the point. Sure, there are some great FCS players out there, but when your rivals are landing multiple P5/G5 transfers that hold multiple offers while you are hoping to find diamonds in the FCS rough, things aren't likely to work out for you. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

How many FCS guys have we signed? My point is, if the status of our program is such that we can't attract ballers from mid-to-upper G5/P5 programs, and we are relying on ballers from FCS, then we are not meeting expectations.

I am absolutely on board with finding diamonds-in-the-rough.  FCS players that can ball.  Rewarding walk-ons for their contributions to the program.  But, if we are going to continue to rely on them as a major life-blood for our program, let's not act surprised when we are only winning 5-6 games a year while in the AAC.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

The years between now and when NIL collapses is the greatest opportunity for a G5 program to make progress and advance their stature in many decades. It's really awesome. Please get your act together before getting to the AAC.

Try not to go on probation before we get there.

• Upvote 2