Athletic Director U's Conference Power Index: North Texas placements

Hey hey, ya'll. Long time, no see.

In case this has not been referenced here, before, I recently learned of Athletic Director U's Conference Power Index from Matt Brown and the Going For Two podcast. It essentially is a comprehensive survey ranking programs and athletic departments across conferences rooted in perceptions by peers.

It’s imperative to note the Athletic Department Power Index is not intended or developed to analyze the performance or potential of the current Athletic Director at the respective institutions. Rather, it is an assessment of the opportunity generally through the eyes of both peers and aspirants to the position were it to become available.

Here is the most recent Power Index for Conference USA: https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-department-power-index-conference-usa/ I think ya'll will be most pleased with these results.

Even further, there are broader comparisons available through the partner program Athlete Viewpoint: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/athleteviewpoint/viz/AthleticDepartmentRanking/SchoolComparison Here, you can select multiple conferences at once. Knowing that these rankings are built from respondents both within and external to CUSA, I find the meshing of ours and the AAC listings particularly delightful.

TL;DR: the national perception within the industry is that we're doing a lot of things well.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Moobs said:

I'm surprised to see that they think so highly of our donor support and potential for football success.  I think most of us here feel like we struggle in those 2 areas.

Agreed but remember these reports are for C-USA and we are soon to be in the AAC.  Much harder for us to compete like this in AAC as they have much better funded programs and NIL organizations.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moobs said:

I'm surprised to see that they think so highly of our donor support and potential for football success.  I think most of us here feel like we struggle in those 2 areas.

When you just opened up one of the nicest IPFs in all of NCAA (definitely a top 10 G5 facility) and 2 donors' names are slapped on there, the perception is that your donor support level is VERY HIGH.    
Also, if you squint hard enough in the rearview mirror, you'll see a pretty explosive, exciting North Texas football team that absolutely embarrassed a SEC school on TV, including a viral punt return.   Littrell makes a friggin butt-ton of money as well, so that FB coaching budget would make any AAC or C-USA Athletic Director sit up and take notice.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, Moobs said:

Our donor support sucks, if I’m being honest. We are not where we should be in numbers of people and money. 

According to this graph on MGSF website, we are 9th in CUSA in number of donors with 1,419, 1st in total alumni with 258,310, and 12th in annual funds with $1,144,303.

Now this should be changing with USM, Marshall and ODU going to the SBC, but it’s still bad!!!!

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1