Transfer Portal - A lot of players losing free rides

El Paso Eagle

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

At least the kids we have coming from ACU have some game experience.

Just because they had “P5 talent” out of high school does not make them a FBS caliber player. They could have bad attitude, work ethic, off field issues, or a multitude of other issues that may have caused them to leave the vaunted P5. I’d take good kids from ACU with game experience all day over those P5ers.

Teams that go 0-12 are also full of players with "game experience."   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Just because they had “P5 talent” out of high school does not make them a FBS caliber player. They could have bad attitude, work ethic, off field issues, or a multitude of other issues that may have caused them to leave the vaunted P5. I’d take good kids from ACU with game experience all day over those P5ers.

No doubt there are some guys that you're describing in the portal.  I agree, we definitely want to stay away from them.
But surely there are some good dudes that just had some studs in front of them & decided to get PT elsewhere?    Or really good FCS players who can play at the FBS level (not just "contributors" who would only provide depth here)?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Your analysis can also be made for the lower division schools. If you are judging talent and fit on the same parameters I would much rather have a P5 guy! Now if you can't get P5 talent then you don't have a choice. We were told with this 12 ranked class that we would see great value at the end of the transfer cycle. I have not seen SQUAT!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Your analysis can also be made for the lower division schools. If you are judging talent and fit on the same parameters I would much rather have a P5 guy! Now if you can't get P5 talent then you don't have a choice. We were told with this 12 ranked class that we would see great value at the end of the transfer cycle. I have not seen SQUAT!!!

Yep this thing is a disaster.   The biggest lie was that we were holding back scholarships for portals and transfers later on.  The truth is everyone was!  Just tell us the truth we are grownups.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

20 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Yep this thing is a disaster.   The biggest lie was that we were holding back scholarships for portals and transfers later on.  The truth is everyone was!  Just tell us the truth we are grownups.

Fellas!   C'Mon!    Just put these back on and don't think about it.
51xQb-GAzVL._AC_UL320_.jpg

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

41 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Y’all want Tommy Bush types. Tommy Bush committed in May last year.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Stud-georgia-WR-transfer-Tommy-Bush-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-GReen-football-165426130/

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This will be the largest TP class up to this date. We have signed 1 P5 talent. Maybe we have to wait for the UTSA class to fill up?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since i am too lazy to figure it out myself. What is the percentage of students that have not been picked up by a team at all?

I am wondering if more students will be conservative next year with the portal. I have a feeling there are going to be a good number of horror stories with this(but i'm sure that argument could be made about a lot of other aspects with college football)

27 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Since i am too lazy to figure it out myself. What is the percentage of students that have not been picked up by a team at all?

I am wondering if more students will be conservative next year with the portal. I have a feeling there are going to be a good number of horror stories with this(but i'm sure that argument could be made about a lot of other aspects with college football)

I’m more curious of the percentage of players who weren’t sure they were going to play football anymore but entered the portal anyway. If your current school isn’t working out (either athletically or academically) and you’re not sure what you want to do next, you at least put your name in the portal. It’s basically posting your resume and see what happens. 

36 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

From Footballscoop.com

NCAA: 40 percent of scholarship FBS players do not find scholarships on the other side of the transfer portal

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-transfer-portal-data

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

From Footballscoop.com

NCAA: 40 percent of scholarship FBS players do not find scholarships on the other side of the transfer portal

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-transfer-portal-data

Good!   Real life lessons learned for some of these athletes about commitment to scholarship and contracts!  Work harder if you don't like your spot on the depth chart (or join us asking for a head coaching change!!).

• Upvote 4

On 4/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, meanrob said:

I’m more curious of the percentage of players who weren’t sure they were going to play football anymore but entered the portal anyway. If your current school isn’t working out (either athletically or academically) and you’re not sure what you want to do next, you at least put your name in the portal. It’s basically posting your resume and see what happens. 

In the past, players were just ushered out the door and most were never heard of again.   Now with the portal, there is at least a better chance that they will catch on with another school. 

I suspect that turnover has increased, just because it is easier for a coaching staff to move players out.  In the past, most teams keep most players through their eligibility, no more.  

• Upvote 1