Balcones Distilling in Waco

I have a couple of questions.

1.  Has anyone been on their tour or visited the tasting room?

2.  Can you recommend any of their products?

3.  I don't drink much, but prefer bourbon when I do.  Has anyone had any of their bourbon/whisky?

https://balconesdistilling.com/

I’m going to be absolutely no help, but here I am commenting anyway.

Never been on a tour or to the tasting room.

I had Balcones once and I was a bit underwhelmed.  Maybe I was just expecting too much because my friend was telling me how great it was.  I don’t remember what we had, but I thought it was kind of pricy ($70+).

That being said, the Pot Still Bourbon on the website sounds like something I would really like.  Out of stock now, but I’m going to keep my eye out for a bottle.

23 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’ve been to the tasting room a couple of times. It’s Pretty nice. Their single malt bourbon is pretty good. It’s pricey and probably not worth the price but I think it’s pretty good bourbon. If you’ve never had it, grab a bottle.

whisky. not bourbon.

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is America.   Add the E, or go to Scotland.  
Also interested to try a "single-malt" Bourbon.  

usually I'd agree with you...but in this case Balcones decided to label their's without the "e" in homage...and I really don't have a big problem with it. 

so Single Malt Bourbon can theoretically exist, but you're really stretching the definition of a Single Malt. traditionally, a Single Malt would be made from 100% malted barley...personally, I kinda wish that this would've stuck for nomenclature since there is already such confusion around spirits definitions, but there are on the market some "Single Malt Rye" whiskies, made from 100% malted rye, so that bridge is yet burnt. 

so based on that, you could theoretically do a Single Malt Bourbon made from 100% malted corn (bourbon must be at least 51% corn)...problem then is you still want it to taste good and/or sell. 

corn is already the sweetest, simplest to ferment and least flavorfully complex of the whiskey grains...so while malting it ahead of distillation could add a bit of depth, since malting also makes the sugar more responsive to fermentation my assumption is that it'll also make your whiskey considerably sweeter...so best guess, a Single Malt Bourbon would be very sweet with maybe a bit of a nutty finish...and probably why no one has bottled and sold one. 

as I type all this too, it dawned on me too that "Bourbon" is a tighter regulated definition than "Rye", too...so very well "Single Malt Bourbon" may not actually be allowed on a label. not sure, but it's a possibility. 

• Upvote 1

Been to Balcones multiple times, and enjoy their spirits often.

The Single Malt is their flagship and is fantastic, albeit pricey. (to me it's sweeter than scotch, but not quite bourbon sweet)

Both regular strength and cask strength rye's are solid

Baby Blue is good, and their bourbon is so so IMO

I actually really like Rumble which a different take on spirits but really interesting

The tour/tasting is fun. Can definitely recommend

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I actually really like Rumble which a different take on spirits but really interesting

I just pulled up the notes on that and I'm fascinated. it's a distillate of honey, figs and sugar...so more in the vain of a rum/cachaca/cognac hybrid. would be keen to try that some time

22 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I just pulled up the notes on that and I'm fascinated. it's a distillate of honey, figs and sugar...so more in the vain of a rum/cachaca/cognac hybrid. would be keen to try that some time

It's solid for sure. Not an every day drink for me, but I like to buy a bottle every now and again to switch it up

Thanks.  I stopped in there recently after spending a couple of hours with the wife at "The Silos".  We didn't stay, because I totally forgot that my wife couldn't partake since she was on medication at the time.  I picked up a bottle of their Lineage Single Malt  Whisky, https://balconesdistilling.com/spirit/lineage-texas-single-malt-whisky/ ,  but haven't tried it yet.  I have decided to support Texas distillers whenever possible and start a "collection" of Texas spirits.  

I will be in the Hill Country in a couple of weeks and ran across Llano Craft Distillery, https://www.llanocraftdistillery.com/ , and thought I would stop in and give them a try as well.