No more mask mandates on planes

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

And to all the Trump supporters, he was the one who locked down the country in the first place. Don't think I'm defending your guy either 

Cut to all the Trump supporters salivating over that elusive MGNation92 seal of approval 

Season 2 Crying GIF by The Lonely Island

Edited by Quoner
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

There is a difference between the ability to choose for one’s own health and being forced to by an unelected government official. We should all have the right to make our own healthcare choices whether that is a vaccine, a mask, or even abortion. 

My guy, prepare for mental anarchy when you learn about the Supreme Court 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The best respiratory disease prevention is to get your shot and wear your N95 mask or plainly stay your behind at home. Neither should require John Q. Public to wear a piece of cloth over their face to make someone else feel safer. If this had been ebola level deadly, you would’ve seen blanket voluntary compliance of hazmat suits, face shields and multiple masks but many didn’t feel their risk was high enough to take the extra precautions with this particular virus. 

Yes, stay home people who are required to take the bus or subway into work to keep a roof over their head. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The best respiratory disease prevention is to get your shot and wear your N95 mask or plainly stay your behind at home. Neither should require John Q. Public to wear a piece of cloth over their face to make someone else feel safer. If this had been ebola level deadly, you would’ve seen blanket voluntary compliance of hazmat suits, face shields and multiple masks but many didn’t feel their risk was high enough to take the extra precautions with this particular virus. 

so...you'd have been pro-lockdowns? had literally no one gone anywhere for a month COVID would've died by April'2020. 

mask mandates were the step taken to prevent whole-scale lockdowns. I agree with you that most masks worn over the last two years fall well short of the protection offered by N95s...but to get those to 330 million and convince proper usage would've taken leadership and buy-in and messaging and personal responsibility that we just don't have as a country/human race. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You're right, how's the boot taste? I take it you prefer the blue flavor over the red?

gosh...I don't know...I can't taste anything through this government mandate mask. 

there is actual tyranny in the world. it's not here. and certainly not for middle class+ white men. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Cut to all the Trump supporters salivating over that elusive MGNation92 seal of approval 

Season 2 Crying GIF by The Lonely Island

You'd be surprised how often republicans think I am one because I'm pro freedom and individual rights.

Just have to let them know I think they're authoritarians as well. 

To quote Michael Malice: Conservatives are just Progressives driving the speed limit

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

gosh...I don't know...I can't taste anything through this government mandate mask. 

there is actual tyranny in the world. it's not here. and certainly not for middle class+ white men. 

Agreed. Police have been targeting minority communities forever, doesn't mean they won't shoot a white guy and his dog if they're having a bad day. There is no law so obscene that the police would not be willing to enforce it, up to and including the mass execution of innocent children. 29 years since Waco. 

Tyranny is anything imposed upon an individual from which they have no consent. Gun Laws, Abortion Laws, The Drug War, Taxation, Mask Mandates, Vaccine Mandates etc

Privilege certainly plays a role in how some laws are enforced, but we're all being screwed one way or another by a bunch of people that couldn't give a damn about any of us

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

There is a difference between the ability to choose for one’s own health and being forced to by an unelected government official. We should all have the right to make our own healthcare choices whether that is a vaccine, a mask, or even abortion. 

I'm with you.  Minimal government mandates.  I wore my mask early on, when there was a collective/majority agreement that it made sense scientifically.  Didn't really need the government to require me to.

But for others - across the entire pandemic - it's almost like fighting the government intervention is taking a priority over self-health.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

but to get those to 330 million and convince proper usage would've taken leadership and buy-in and messaging and personal responsibility that we just don't have as a country/human race. 

Read somewhere that this ever happens again, we need to stop brainstorming ideas that require 100% participation, and instead presume a participation rate that is much less.  Say, 50-70%.

5 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

He thinks if you aren’t a die hard fall in line Democrat you’re a Republican. 

I do? When have I ever said that? Would you like to see some pictures of Norway from when I used to go for work? It’s lovely. 

Edited by Quoner
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I think most of this reddit thread is poking fun of people that believe masks/vaccines do not work.  I was speaking about people who understand that masks/vaccines work, but still refused to comply because they want to fight the government telling them what to do.

• Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

Everyone that links to these articles strikes me as someone that is absolutely determined to find reasons to not wear one, and not even consider the other side.

Everyone that ignores links to studies that show masks don't work strike me as someone that is absolutely determined to find reasons TO wear one, and not even consider the other side. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think most of this reddit thread is poking fun of people that believe masks/vaccines do not work.  I was speaking about people who understand that masks/vaccines work, but still refused to comply because they want to fight the government telling them what to do.

Yes, that's what that whole sub reddit is: showing people who outwardly thought they knew better than everyone else and ultimately ending up in the ICU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

i never got it (did an antibody test and don't have them), never locked down, went to work every day(except from spring break on 2 years ago), went to the store every day, went to the bar/restaurant every day,  wore a mask if it was required, but usually didn't.   my whole family had covid.  they had nothing more than a bad cough.  they are all vaccinated, i am not.  different strokes for different folks.

we all have our good/bad experiences.  this isn't a one size fits all thing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Cloth masks don’t work, nor do cheap off the shelf surgical masks. Level 3 surgical and N95 work, at least for a substantial amount of time. So you’re half right.

My impression is that this is not an either/or discussion.  There's a level of efficacy, and N95s/LVL3 surgical are the most effective, cloth and cheap off-shelf are least effective.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

Everyone that ignores links to studies that show masks don't work strike me as someone that is absolutely determined to find reasons TO wear one, and not even consider the other side. 

If that's an honest answer, fair enough.  I've never ever met anyone that shares that determination.

Total hunch, but it sounds more like someone who wants 100% consensus, and opts out when it is less than that.  It's not a great approach to science and life though.

If you've read both sides of the issue, understand that the virus rides the surface of droplets and their momentum in the air, and still believe - based on your readings - that masks don't work, I don't know what else to tell you.

If I'm talking to someone (not just you) that believes the virus does not spread like that, then I still remain open to reading more.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Tyranny is anything imposed upon an individual from which they have no consent. Gun Laws, Abortion Laws, The Drug War, Taxation, Mask Mandates, Vaccine Mandates etc

and seat belt laws.  Speed limits, etc.  How many of us would like to do away with those?

One thing the pandemic has taught us, is that people armed with even correct information will still act selfishly first.  sometimes (maybe, a lot of the time?) at the expense of the greater good.

I would never want to be a politician/law maker.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

If that's an honest answer, fair enough.  I've never ever met anyone that shares that determination.

Total hunch, but it sounds more like someone who wants 100% consensus, and opts out when it is less than that.  It's not a great approach to science and life though.

If you've read both sides of the issue, understand that the virus rides the surface of droplets and their momentum in the air, and still believe - based on your readings - that masks don't work, I don't know what else to tell you.

If I'm talking to someone (not just you) that believes the virus does not spread like that, then I still remain open to reading more.

my point was these cheap cloth masks don't work, regardless of how the virus is spread. Some people are so self righteous they will beat their chest while wearing basically a piece of underwear over their face and proclaim themselves as saviors. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

and seat belt laws.  Speed limits, etc.  How many of us would like to do away with those?

One thing the pandemic has taught us, is that people armed with even correct information will still act selfishly first.  sometimes (maybe, a lot of the time?) at the expense of the greater good.

I would never want to be a politician/law maker.

Warning - Rant incoming

It should always be about personal risk/reward ratio. I'm 29, fairly fit, and don't go out much other than to work and the store. I'm not particularly worried about the virus. Now my parents who are in their late 60's and smoked the majority of their lives (both have since quit thank God) might be more fearful of it, and rightfully so.

When the government starts imposing punishments for being unvaccinated or not locking down, it forces an artificial risk/reward system that trumps your own. Do this or go to jail is usually the end equation with most laws. I could not wear a seatbelt, and if I get in an accident then I face the consequence of that action. When the State decides the consequence for me, the choice is no longer as easy because I have a proverbial gun pointed to my head while making the choice.

The government is the most selfish. They don't do anything that doesn't help them, and if you're not in that class, then you're the one getting screwed. Rules for thee but not for me.

People act like the "greater good" must be decided by the government, and that's the problem. It doesn't affect them. They're not getting fired for mask mandates, they're giving themselves raises. So while we're arguing about masks, the fed is printing trillions of dollars, Congress is giving themselves more money we don't have(if you want to know true inflation look at the % salary increase Congress gives themselves every year)  and they're spending it on pointless wars, draconian drug enforcement, and bailing out massive corporations.

Meanwhile wages for normal people have stagnated, nobody can afford to buy a home while corporations like blackrock and vanguard buy up properties left and right, driving up prices and pushing normal people out of the market. Then inevitably when another pandemic hits or the housing market crashes, the "benevolent" government will give us $50 and a stick of gum, and tell us it'll be alright while they continue crushing us with stupid and useless laws. Bailing themselves and their corporate interests out while we all suffer. 

Maybe people act selfishly because they know none of it matters anyways. Take care of your family and yourself because that's what truly matters

TL;DR - F**k the government. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

32 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It should always be about personal risk/reward ratio. I'm 29, fairly fit, and don't go out much other than to work and the store. I'm not particularly worried about the virus. Now my parents who are in their late 60's and smoked the majority of their lives (both have since quit thank God) might be more fearful of it, and rightfully so.

I wasn't too worried about the virus either (fit, early 40s here), but if there is a mask/method in place that prevents me from passing to other people, especially people that should be worried, then of course I am going to consider it.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I believe seatbelts are only required on government controlled roadways. On private land and parking lots, there is no government enforcement to my recollection.

FAA controls airspace, so mask mandates on planes are perfectly fine?

& seatbelts are still required on privately-owned tollways, right?

3 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I mean I don’t think the government should be able to regulate that either but it’s also a false equivalency fallacy, so.

Is it?   Obviously any comparison can be nit-picked into “false equivalence”, but I think it’s pretty close.   I mean, your 1st answer is fine, you’re consistent.  But it’s still a good bar to compare.

• Upvote 1