How a conservative University of North Texas student embroiled her campus in a culture war

University of North Texas senior Kelly Neidert says she started paying more attention to politics when Donald Trump was elected president. “I definitely think there’s a lot of positives with just saying exactly how you feel,” she says.

The University of North Texas has more than 42,000 students, but few are as infamous as senior Kelly Neidert.

Since she arrived at the Denton campus in 2019, the 22-year-old marketing major has revived its Young Conservatives of Texas chapter — which had been dormant for years — and developed a reputation among students and administrators as the campus’ biggest provocateur.

She’s easily recognizable in her red Make America Great Again hat and a megaphone sometimes slung over her shoulder — she uses it to troll her liberal classmates. On Twitter, she branded herself “the most hated conservative college student in the state of Texas.”

When students held a protest in January to push for more online classes during the peak of the omicron variant, Neidert went to the top of a nearby parking garage and shouted through her megaphone for more in-person classes. On social media, she tweets statements like, “trans ‘women’ are men, actually,” and “One of my greatest accomplishments is giving Covid to someone who was vaxxed.”

read more:  https://amp.caller.com/amp/7332029001

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

don't worry she deserves all of it because she has a different opinion than the snowflakes on campus. UNT won't do a damn thing because she is a conservative or a nazi, or a fascist or whatever the hell the left is calling their opposition now days. The left once again showing why they are the side of "tolerance" 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 hours ago, untbowler said:

don't worry she deserves all of it because she has a different opinion than the snowflakes on campus. UNT won't do a damn thing because she is a conservative or a nazi, or a fascist or whatever the hell the left is calling their opposition now days. The left once again showing why they are the side of "tolerance" 

So you want unapologetic nazis to be tolerated? 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 8

32 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

As much as I want unapologetic communists to be tolerated.

Freedom of speech allows that...

Funny you equate the two, but that's a whole different conversation.

Freedom of speech only applies to the government, the poster I replied to was whining that students aren't tolerating her intolerance. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Funny you equate the two, but that's a whole different conversation.

Freedom of speech only applies to the government, the poster I replied to was whining that students aren't tolerating her intolerance. 

Is it though? Nazism and communism are both forms of governance and control. Seems like the same conversation, in my opinion, but I will openly admit that I may be wrong to assume that. I just allow in my life the ability to listen or ignore anyone's viewpoints. What I have always noticed, in history, is that governments that won't allow freedom of speech, on any topic, have been some of the most heinous governing bodies on its people.

Freedom of speech is guaranteed to individuals as a right. For protection from the government. 

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

communism are both forms of governance and control.

Communism is by its own definition stateless.  

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Freedom of speech is guaranteed to individuals as a right. For protection from the government. 

Exactly what I said: protection from the government, but not protection from others. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Communism is by its own definition stateless.  

Exactly what I said: protection from the government, but not protection from others. 

Maybe I didn’t understand, which is not at all unusual. I just read your comment above as “Freedom of speech only applies to the government.” I thought you were suggesting only the government had freedom of speech. 

As far as communism, it may be meant to be stateless, but the state always runs it and brings the authoritarian governance that has been so powerful against its citizens throughout the last few centuries. It’s too easy for a Stalin, Castro, or Mao to gain leadership and then rule with that iron fist. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

but the state always runs it and brings the authoritarian governance that has been so powerful against its citizens throughout the last few centuries. It’s too easy for a Stalin, Castro, or Mao to gain leadership and then rule with that iron fist. 

History has proven this is not specific to any ism, and fascism actually endorses it. That's the difference. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Are you suggesting that spray painting that message on her door is an appropriate response?

Is this a suggestion that you're more offended at the graffiti than what she advocates?

I'm not for anything that gives more work for the guy who has to remove it. There's certainly other ways of showing the nazi cunt how unwelcomed she is. And like someone mentioned previously, you should probably go with the theory that she did it to herself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

20 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Is this a suggestion that you're more offended at the graffiti than what she advocates?

Any sane person would be.

It is illegal.  It is the destruction of property.  It is suggestive of physical threats that might be carried out if she refuses to stay home.

I don't agree with her tactics.  But if you think her opponents have taken the high road on this, I don't know what to say to you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Any sane person would be.

Wow that's pretty disgusting that you're more offended over vandalism to a nazi than what the nazi has to say. Have a nice day then. I guess you people will defend literally anyone who calls themselves a "conservative". 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Wow that's pretty disgusting that you're more offended over vandalism to a nazi than what the nazi has to say. Have a nice day then. I guess you people will defend literally anyone who calls themselves a "conservative". 

If she actually advocates sending gypsies and Jews to the gas chamber, then I would agree that is more offensive.  But if you are using the word "Nazi" the way you libs typically do--"someone who holds traditional, middle America values"--then the vandalism is probably worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I'm not for anything that gives more work for the guy who has to remove it. There's certainly other ways of showing the nazi cunt how unwelcomed she is. And like someone mentioned previously, you should probably go with the theory that she did it to herself. 

Vandalism isn’t protected free speech…it’s a crime. 

I dont pretend to know everything this gal has said in her time as a UNT student. But I do know that her freedom to say it is protected by the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, just as much as burning the US flag is protected. But we draw the line at the destruction of property or injury to a person for criminal reasons. It’s the law.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If she actually advocates sending gypsies and Jews to the gas chamber, then I would agree that is more offensive.  But if you are using the word "Nazi" the way you libs typically do--"someone who holds traditional, middle America values"--

LMAO no. She preaches hate and intolerance. She has made herself a public figure and made her intolerance known, she should be shunned from any respectable community she's involved in. Instead she runs to a national news outlet to drum up more hate for the people she blames with no proof. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Vandalism isn’t protected free speech…it’s a crime. 

I dont pretend to know everything this gal has said in her time as a UNT student. But I do know that her freedom to say it is protected by the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, just as much as burning the US flag is protected. But we draw the line at the destruction of property or injury to a person for criminal reasons. It’s the law.

You don't have to explain to me that one is a crime and one is not, but morally I can tell you which side I land on. Do I condone what happened? No. Do I expect it to happen to someone like her? Absolutely. And I don't feel bad when it does. She could save herself all this "vandalism" (and I use that word loosely because she did it to herself) if she would stop preaching hate and intolerance. Until that ends I couldn't care less if her door or her car gets keyed up, I'm more offended by what she preaches than I am anyone tearing her stuff up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2