SMU gets 5* RB transfer from Alabama

MeanGreenZen

I don't pretend to know anything about the two individual situations, but are we sure all transfers are chasing NIL money?  Both here appear to be getting back closer to home...is that a primary motivation?  We're familiar with that scenario.  Sometimes it's as grad transfer and sometimes it's in the middle of their college careers.   Young men are often lured away with big eyes based on promises or for "greener" pastures and then find out they don't really fit or things aren't as great as they were when they were wined and dined during their recruiting visit.  Everyone has to find their own way.  

If this improves the stature and competitiveness of our future conference, then that's a good thing IMHO.  The old rising tide lifts all ships thing.  Painful that it's SMU, but it is what it is.  We need to step up our own game.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5

On 4/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, mustangfan said:

North Texas fans could be right on this one being a bust.  I mean why would he leave Bama is my question.   I will always give you guys the benefit of the doubt. My yard guy went to NT and he seems to be a pretty sharp guy and right about a lot of things.

I’ll admit I laughed at this

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, keith said:

I don't pretend to know anything about the two individual situations, but are we sure all transfers are chasing NIL money?  Both here appear to be getting back closer to home...is that a primary motivation?  We're familiar with that scenario.  Sometimes it's as grad transfer and sometimes it's in the middle of their college careers.   Young men are often lured away with big eyes based on promises or for "greener" pastures and then find out they don't really fit or things aren't as great as they were when they were wined and dined during their recruiting visit.  Everyone has to find their own way.  

If this improves the stature and competitiveness of our future conference, then that's a good thing IMHO.  The old rising tide lifts all ships thing.  Painful that it's SMU, but it is what it is.  We need to step up our own game.

This hits on a misconception I keep seeing on here.  There are not a lot of players being outright purchased by programs according to what is being reported on our there. It is just being used to put someone over the edge.  NIL program is just another factor like offense type, playing time, coach relationship, etc.  If you aren't participating you aren't paying basic table stakes.  Might as well be trying to get a QB to transfer to you and never tell him the offense you run. 

This is critical stuff. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

This hits on a misconception I keep seeing on here.  There are not a lot of players being outright purchased by programs according to what is being reported on our there. It is just being used to put someone over the edge.  NIL program is just another factor like offense type, playing time, coach relationship, etc.  If you aren't participating you aren't paying basic table stakes.  Might as well be trying to get a QB to transfer to you and never tell him the offense you run. 

This is critical stuff. 

Let me make sure I understand...you're saying NIL is just a piece of the puzzle and can be used as a sweetener to get a fence-sitter over to your side and it doesn't necessarily take a truck load of $ to do that?  It may just take some extra walking-around money, but if you're doing nothing, you're fighting an uphill battle.  

It will be interesting to see how this NIL money/compensation is taxed.  Are they going to be paying self-employment taxes or will they be considered employees of the University or AD?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, keith said:

Let me make sure I understand...you're saying NIL is just a piece of the puzzle and can be used as a sweetener to get a fence-sitter over to your side and it doesn't necessarily take a truck load of $ to do that?  It may just take some extra walking-around money, but if you're doing nothing, you're fighting an uphill battle.  

It will be interesting to see how this NIL money/compensation is taxed.  Are they going to be paying self-employment taxes or will they be considered employees of the University or AD?

Correct. I'm sure Arch Manning or someone like that is a mega payday, but your average upgrade player most teams is not massive.  There are a few articles out there about it separating rumor from fact. 

22 hours ago, keith said:

FOR THE MILLIONTH FRIGGIN TIME FOR THOSE WHO STILL DON’T GET IT:

NIL IS NOT FROM THE SCHOOL BUT FROM COMPANIES OR DONORS DIRECTLY TO THE STUDENT.

People here saying “UNT doesn’t want to do NIL” do not at all understand the process. The only role the university has is making sure the student athletes are complying with the rules and understanding their obligations. So yes since it is an endorsement deal, like any other, they would have to pay taxes on their earnings. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

FOR THE MILLIONTH FRIGGIN TIME FOR THOSE WHO STILL DON’T GET IT:

NIL IS NOT FROM THE SCHOOL BUT FROM COMPANIES OR DONORS DIRECTLY TO THE STUDENT.

People here saying “UNT doesn’t want to do NIL” do not at all understand the process. The only role the university has is making sure the student athletes are complying with the rules and understanding their obligations. So yes since it is an endorsement deal, like any other, they would have to pay taxes on their earnings. 

If you believe most schools have nothing to do with NIL deals, then I guess you believe the Easter Bunny will be hopping down your street Sunday.  

Edited by GrandGreen