DRC: UNT depth chart projection following spring practice

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Baker and Smatresk (and even the early part of Littrell's tenure) have changed the expectations.

Agree but I would also say our history of coaches doesn't help in that particular regard.  Love him or not Seth's winning percentage is second only to Hayden Fry I believe.  We've really excelled in building facilities, basketball and other areas like women's soccer etc.  We have not been good at hiring coaches in the major sports.  Coach McCasland gives us hope that we can.  With the money we have put into facilities and coaching salaries we should be able to do it in football. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

Agree but I would also say our history of coaches doesn't help in that particular regard.  Love him or not Seth's winning percentage is second only to Hayden Fry I believe.  We've really excelled in building facilities, basketball and other areas like women's soccer etc.  We have not been good at hiring coaches in the major sports.  Coach McCasland gives us hope that we can.  With the money we have put into facilities and coaching salaries we should be able to do it in football. 

💯

And you’re definitely right about comparing to previous coaches.  Want to accept SL’s record & “how hard he’s trying”?  Go ahead & keep those low expectations.  Just go out there & enjoy tailgating & watching a game involving your Alma Mater.  No problem!  Crank them prices back down, hire some old retread & let him retire here, or some hotshot coordinator like SL, & let him leave if he wins.  Stop trying to be anything more.

Or, demand more out of the person that influences the product on the field more than anyone else.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for UTSA...    We were not the better team, that's for sure.   But we were the better team that day, and that's what the record shows.    It was a fun, miserable game to be at.   Lots of high-five's and laughing at all their fumbles.   And you're absolutely right, we punched them in the mouth early, and they laid down (fumbling on the way down).
I truly believe if NT lined up against UTEP the day after we beat them, we'd have eek'd out another close win.
I can't say the same VS UTSA.   I think we'll pay the price for last year's win on 10/21/22.

I mean, yes. But isn’t that the case every time the underdog wins a game against the favored team? Most fans are happy to beat a better team. That’s why we actually play the games, right?

Should the dirty birds be a better team than us? No, and I think that is the argument we should be making, not crapping on a hard fought win by our athletes. We aren’t always going to be the best team on the field no matter how much we wish it so, so let’s enjoy when we overcome the odds (literally) and pull out a W. UTSA was having a pretty magical season and we killed it. Celebrate! Then evaluate why we were not having one. I think it is important to separate the two issues. 

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

💯

And you’re definitely right about comparing to previous coaches.  Want to accept SL’s record & “how hard he’s trying”?  Go ahead & keep those low expectations.  Just go out there & enjoy tailgating & watching a game involving your Alma Mater.  No problem!  Crank them prices back down, hire some old retread & let him retire here, or some hotshot coordinator like SL, & let him leave if he wins.  Stop trying to be anything more.

Or, demand more out of the person that influences the product on the field more than anyone else.

spongebob kms GIF by Brooke

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I mean, yes. But isn’t that the case every time the underdog wins a game against the favored team? Most fans are happy to beat a better team. That’s why we actually play the games, right?

Should the dirty birds be a better team than us? No, and I think that is the argument we should be making, not crapping on a hard fought win by our athletes. We aren’t always going to be the best team on the field no matter how much we wish it so, so let’s enjoy when we overcome the odds (literally) and pull out a W. UTSA was having a pretty magical season and we killed it. Celebrate! Then evaluate why we were not having one. I think it is important to separate the two issues. 

QWMV.gif

I think it's important to differentiate as well.   I thought that's what I did.   
Did you see the part where, while I was there, I was high-fiving other fans and laughing at them?   It was fun!  I celebrated for sure!   I came on here and all everyone was talking about was the Frank Harris' fumble-itis.  Funny jokes abounded, and we were all laughing.  The moment was sweet, and definitely enjoyed by all.

Then, the comments about how we've "turned the corner" started, and I think that's where the "evaluation" starts.  Since "turning a corner" seems to evaluate the team's state.    Some bought in.  Others did not (myself included).   The bowl game was the pudding's proof.   Yet, we're still here, trying to manufacture excitement for next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, drex said:

Enthusiasm starts at the top and it ain't there.

i would normally agree with you Jim but in this case I believe that the enthusiasm will come from #2 and #3.  Bloesch and Bennett both seemed to breathe some life in the offense and defense and there seems to be more intensity in both units.  I believe that the team will win 7-8 games this year which could create a dilemma.  If Seth has another year on his contract and he wins a bowl game, what happens then?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

Honestly my expectations are very limited just because of the losses we’ve experienced all over the field. So many new starters and younger depth role players makes me concerned for what we might see.

However, the offense should be CLOSER to what we used to see, barring injuries like usual. WRs are legit, once again, and the power that the Oline and RBs hold are insane. Just need Aune or Earle or Ruder of whoever to step up and make a difference.

Defensively, Bennett is still here so I doubt we get worse…

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, MGNation92 said:

At the end of the day, we've been hearing/seeing the same shit since 2019. I think as a collective fanbase we're over it

Everyone basically knows what we are going to get.  If it's <7 wins and middle of the CUSA West, why get excited for that?

I support my Mean Green as usual, but this lack of enthusiasm is not a big mystery.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Everyone basically knows what we are going to get.  If it's <7 wins and middle of the CUSA West, why get excited for that?

I support my Mean Green as usual, but this lack of enthusiasm is not a big mystery.

Isn’t it nice that our expectations have been raised? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, drex said:

Enthusiasm starts at the top and it ain't there.

Because they know no one is likely getting an extension without a miracle season.  Which is why retaining the staff appears to be a bad decision that looks worse daily.  I know this donor will divert more of my donations to the Alumni Scholarship Fund instead of the MGSF in 2023 if they make another uninspired head coach hire. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1