DRC: UNT depth chart projection following spring practice

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I am optimistic.  There was massive improvement the last 6 games last year.  I am expecting to be bowl eligible and competitive in every game.  I don't expect to win all 13, but that would be amazing.  

Dang people, quit being so gloomy.  Enjoy your team and your school.  Get excited when they win and be down when they don't.  It is what makes the season great.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

You think the Frisco Classical Bowl was the culmination of 6 games worth of "improvement"?
Records of the FBS teams we beat outside of the fluke UTSA game (and if y'all can't acknowledge that the UTSA blowout wasn't a fluke, you're drunk on green koolaid):
Rice: 3-8
SoMiss: 2-9
UTEP: 6-6 (probably our best win last year)
FIU: 0-10

Then, we lose Torrey, Brammer, Novil, the Murphys... 

It's just tough to get excited this year.  You'll have to forgive some of us who think critically.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, drex said:

Enthusiasm starts at the top and it ain't there.

This is what I don't get and maybe it just isn't part of his personality, but man, try and sell your program a little bit.  Some freaking radio station/podcast/whatever in Waco brings Bennett on and he is  great interview.  Our marketing is so piss poor that it drives me crazy.

I like SL as a person and really want him to succeed, but the remainder of the '22 class and the '23 season will tell us all we need to know.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is what I don't get and maybe it just isn't part of his personality, but man, try and sell your program a little bit.  Some freaking radio station/podcast/whatever in Waco brings Bennett on and he is  great interview.  Our marketing is so piss poor that it drives me crazy.

I like SL as a person and really want him to succeed, but the remainder of the '22 class and the '23 season will tell us all we need to know.

I saw this a few mins ago. Not sure when the podcast comes out, though. He also did an interview with DCTF a couple of months ago. It’s something. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Yes you did, but you are not the only person who has poo-poo’d the wins. And I just don’t get dismissing the UTsa win. Do we now just instantly dismiss any win in the rain? I agree that it was a major factor but we also stuck it to them and got them frustrated. Plus their coach didn’t have them ready and got nervous and pulled the QB. We were better prepared and wanted it more. I call that winning football. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for UTSA...    We were not the better team, that's for sure.   But we were the better team that day, and that's what the record shows.    It was a fun, miserable game to be at.   Lots of high-five's and laughing at all their fumbles.   And you're absolutely right, we punched them in the mouth early, and they laid down (fumbling on the way down).
I truly believe if NT lined up against UTEP the day after we beat them, we'd have eek'd out another close win.
I can't say the same VS UTSA.   I think we'll pay the price for last year's win on 10/21/22.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

I'm excited about the future of this team as a whole from a player perspective.  We have had some great recruiting classes that will finally get the chance to shine a bit more, in Brett's projected depth chart we only have 6 seniors (Manase Mose, Austin Aune, Quinn Whitlock, Sean-Thomas Faulkner, KD Davis, and Zahodri Jackson) so this team is going to keep getting better.

On offense we look really good everywhere except QB as long as we can stay healthy.  On defense we are less solid but I feel good about DT, LB, and CB so hopefully Bennett can get the rest of the group pulled along.

I'm interested to see the approach our offense takes.  We switched to a run heavy offense last year because of injuries and QB limitation, but with a fully healthy WR room and replacing Pirtle with a more athletic option in Gumms we look completely different at that position than last year.  Trying to show some optimism lol.

• Upvote 6

Will remain optimistic for the coming FB season until this team proves otherwise.

Also....when your main offensive weapon bows out of your bowl game your probably not going to have the out come you were hoping for. And it doesn't help when some on the defensive side make stupid mistakes.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for UTSA...    We were not the better team, that's for sure.   But we were the better team that day, and that's what the record shows.    It was a fun, miserable game to be at.   Lots of high-five's and laughing at all their fumbles.   And you're absolutely right, we punched them in the mouth early, and they laid down (fumbling on the way down).
I truly believe if NT lined up against UTEP the day after we beat them, we'd have eek'd out another close win.
I can't say the same VS UTSA.   I think we'll pay the price for last year's win on 10/21/22.

sure, and la tech was the better team the day they beat us... but they were not the better team overall, right?

• Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

sure, and la tech was the better team the day they beat us... but they were not the better team overall, right?

Probably.   
At least, that's what the end of the season proved.   But at the time, I think most of us were expecting the loss.   Wish we could have pulled that one off.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Dang people, quit being so gloomy.  Enjoy your team and your school. 

You make a valid point.  I think has made some mistakes and yet he is really trying to turn this thing around.  He had never been a head coach before and needed some on the job training.  The K-State deal really threw a wrench in things and now we have to hope that he can somehow find his way out of the darkness.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

You make a valid point.  I think has made some mistakes and yet he is really trying to turn this thing around.  He had never been a head coach before and needed some on the job training.  The K-State deal really threw a wrench in things and now we have to hope that he can somehow find his way out of the darkness.

Lol.  How cute!   Do all of you "optimists" agree with this?

Dodge years?   Sure.  I agree with it all.     They were our loveable losers.   
Dodge was paid 1/8th of what Littrell is making.    I was paying 1/4th of what I've been paying the past few years for my seats.

Baker and Smatresk (and even the early part of Littrell's tenure) have changed the expectations.  Current results on the gridiron are not indicative of those changes... yet here we are exercising futility.   If you're going to demand higher expectations of the fans, don't allow a losing coach to lose for 3 straight years.   It's really simple.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2