It’s GAMEDAY! (Sort Of)

NTSU52

On 4/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, p_phelps said:

I don't know what to think about this.  He's clearly the best? Either he took a huge leap at age 30 or we're in trouble 

Aune’s stats were rather good in 2020 when we had Darden. Perhaps Maclin can be the new Darden.

Aune catches a lot of flak for last season but only deserving of some of it. Most forget that he was throwing to a group of walkons and freshmen last season.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

UNT86 -

Thank you for your game or showcase report. Like you said the game plan was vanilla.  
I would like to know which players are the number one OL. Can you list these players for me? While you are at it, who were the starting DL players ? 
Again thank you for your report!

• Upvote 2

Starting OL was 64 Jett Duncan, 65 Gabe Blair, 72 Manase Mose, 77 Kaci Moreka, and I cannot remember the last OL.  There were only 10 OL suited up.  After the scrimmage, 11 OL were running conditioning drills.  I did not get any of the numbers of the starting DL.  Enoch Jackson made an impression on the DL, but I don't remember if he was a 1 or a 2.

The #1 defense seemed to have a mixture of 1's and 2's.  

Sorry.  This I thought my memory would be better and I didn't write it down.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks UNT86 for the OL information!

Looks like all the 290-320 lbs guys are running the OL- but all of these guys are 6-1 to 6-4. 

I remember how small our OL and DL looked as compared to the Miami of Ohio line players in the bowl game. I believe our small size against the huge Miami players put us in a disadvantage all game long.

• Upvote 3

On 4/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, UNT86 said:

It was very vanilla, as expected.  The offense used one new formation, one new play and one new blocking scheme (and that one may not have been new, just how to block the play against the front they were getting).  Also, we seem to be fully committed to running the ball.  This scheme is designed to come off the ball and get an extra blocker at the point of attack.  This is not the passive zone/stretch scheme from two years ago.  This is a downhill running game.

A lot of new faces in the offensive line, but no obvious problems.  The #2 offensive line was able to run the ball against the #1 defense, but it is hard to tell how many starters were sitting on defense.  Aune ran the offense well.  Ruder did not suit up.  Earle seemed to be ranked ahead of Head.  He ran the first series with the 2 offense and was the first QB with the 1's after Aune.  Head seems to have a really quick release.

The most impressive player to me was #30 Gumms.  He is listed as a TE, but was used in a number of ways.  Lee and Alberding did not suit up, so he went with the 1's and 2's.  It is hard to know if he is ahead of them or not.  Also, both Ragsdale and Adeyi seem to have picked up where they left off.  Burns had a nice day, but he had better or we will have trouble keeping 8 out of the box.  I was also looking forward to seeing Tommy Bush.  He ran some drills early, but did not play in the scrimmage portion of the day.

I've noticed him in both scrimmages leading up to the spring game. This guy needs to be on the field this fall. He kind of reminds me of that WR for SF #19 Deebo Samuels, who runs from scrimmage on occasion. Gumms didn't run from scrimmage, but based on what I've seen, he could.

• Upvote 1