DRC: Mike Bloesch pleased with all 4 of his QBs, talks about race heading into Saturday's spring showcase

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Come on @Brett Vito, don't be shy. Post your Aune for Heisman article on this site. Your most dedicated fans want to read this. 

After reading the first sentence of his tweet, I thought it was gonna be an article about how far we have fallen at the QB position. I was not prepared for the turn that occurred lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It kinda sounded like he was pumping up Aune.    I just don't think a lot of folks want to read/hear that.

Aune is to us what Alex Smith was to the Chiefs. Serviceable, but his ceiling is nowhere near getting us a championship. Him starting shows the coaching staff is clueless 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Aune is to us what Alex Smith was to the Chiefs. Serviceable, but his ceiling is nowhere near getting us a championship. Him starting shows the coaching staff is clueless 

A guy at 50% completion I wouldn't even call serviceable 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

50% is not good enough at any level, but I stand by this blind, fanatical belief that Austin can be serviceable if he is coached up and put in a position to succeed.

He had three games where he was around 60%, including the Mizz loss.  Can year 3 reveal an Aune that is consistently closer to that, and maybe even 65-70%? Or are we going to continue to see games closer to 40%?

Even better, how about someone emerges and puts us all at ease, leading us to 8+ wins?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

A guy at 50% completion I wouldn't even call serviceable 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

50% is not good enough at any level, but I stand by this blind, fanatical belief that Austin can be serviceable if he is coached up and put in a position to succeed.

He had three games where he was around 60%, including the Mizz loss.  Can year 3 reveal an Aune that is consistently closer to that, and maybe even 65-70%? Or are we going to continue to see games closer to 40%?

Even better, how about someone emerges and puts us all at ease, leading us to 8+ wins?

Lol, I was trying to be nice but I agree more with y’all’s sentiments

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It kinda sounded like he was pumping up Aune.    I just don't think a lot of folks want to read/hear that.

The thing that threw my antennae up was the receiver saying Head has a good deep ball, Earle and Ruder have strong arms, and Aune has experience. Maybe I am reading into it but that tells me on talent alone, the race is between Earle and Ruder.

Unless we are firing up the Buick again in which case, it’ll be a steady diet of Aune handoffs.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

The headline made me think that we don’t have a good FBS level QB and the coaches know it.  And after reading the article my suspicions were confirmed.  Compared to what we saw last year one of those 4 quarterbacks should look dramatically better than Ruder or Aune looked in spring 2021.  I actually feel bad for Brett "Associated Press 2018 Star Sportswriter of the Year Award-winner" Vito.  A truthful headline like “The 2022 Mean Green Offense will Probably Suck” would put his press pass in jeopardy.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 4

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

The headline made me think that we don’t have a good FBS level QB and the coaches know it.  And after reading the article my suspicions were confirmed.  Compared to what we saw last year one of those 4 quarterbacks should look dramatically better than Ruder or Aune looked in spring 2021.  I actually feel bad for Brett "Associated Press 2018 Star Sportswriter of the Year Award-winner" Vito.  I truthful headline like “The 2022 Mean Green Offense will Probably Suck” would put his press pass in jeopardy.  

Jace wasn’t even here in spring of 2021.   Didn’t even have a practice with the team til August 2021. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWKGREEN said:

Jace wasn’t even here in spring of 2021.   Didn’t even have a practice with the team til August 2021. 

@Mike Jackson,

@NWKGREENis right. Jace didn’t have the opportunity to compete last spring as he was still in Chapel Hill. He showed up in the fall and he beat out a returning starter for the gig in a month or less. It didn’t work out like we hoped in game action but now with a year to adjust to the program, I think it is unfair to expect the same results. No way he isn’t better than last fall.

I imagine Aune has been working to get better too. I don’t think he’d have come back if he didn’t think he could truly help this team. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@Mike Jackson,

@NWKGREENis right. Jace didn’t have the opportunity to compete last spring as he was still in Chapel Hill. He showed up in the fall and he beat out a returning starter for the gig in a month or less. It didn’t work out like we hoped in game action but now with a year to adjust to the program, I think it is unfair to expect the same results. No way he isn’t better than last fall.

I imagine Aune has been working to get better too. I don’t think he’d have come back if he didn’t think he could truly help this team. 

Well let me be more detailed.  Ruder instead of choosing to compete for the job at UNC he entered the transfer portal.  So that didn’t have me expecting much from him in 2021 but I wasn’t expecting a 16 QBR.  And at UNC in 2021,  Sam Howell while he was moderately impressive he hadn’t grow much since his first starting season.  Transferring when the guy ahead of you is a lock to be picked in the first round of the draft is understandable.  But Sam Howell isn’t that kind of prospect.   Jace is bigger than Howell.  Neither one of these guys (Aune or Ruder) is a  Redshirt Sophomore who can’t order a beer at the bar.   They’ve had plenty of time to develop.  To have any legitimate optimism Ruder & Aune should be head and shoulders above the newcomers or one of the new comers should have blown everyone away.  But it only sounds like there has only been moderate improvement that standard for any player staying in the same system for 2 years.   And this team needs dramatically better QB play if it is going to achieve its fundamental goal of winning a CUSA title.  Hell they might need dramatically better QB play for a winning regular season record.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1