Baseball in CUSA and AAC

NT80

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

It’s amazing how many people are anti-baseball because they “lose money” when they support the absolute dumpster fire Littrell is fostering at Apogee. I hope you enjoy your 5-7 season. I had a huge chunk of family come in for the Marshall game including me buying an RV spot and we lasted less than half of the game. I then spent money to the Frisco Bowl and we saw what happened. Football is a joke right now.

I’ll gladly renew my MGSF donation as long as not a single penny ends up benefitting the football program.

Do you recall what MGSF stands for? SCHOLARSHIP FUND, dum-dum. 

“I don’t like the football coach so I will stop supporting student athletes’ scholarships, therefore ensuring that the AD has to divert money from other programs to pay for the scholarships of the football players.”

This is what you just said in the bolded above. Sounds pretty stupid, doesn’t it? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Well its very simple: If the folks who want it come up with enough money to make Wrens ears perk up, I would say give them their wish. If they don't then the plan stays as it is. But it is on them to prove the support is there with actual money.

I do wonder though. is there a specific reason we need a track and field (on the men's side at least)? Feels to me like that is a pretty big sport in terms of resources it uses and with probably only very little returning in resources and chances at glory. It is along the lines of could those resources (and schollies) be used to get resources for baseball (and also to stay on the good side of any title 9 questions). One might alternatively also target swimming and diving, but that might create title 9 problems.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/6/2022 at 11:51 PM, Clinetort said:

I don't think the potential baseball supporters are as few as you believe.  

I never stated I thought they were few.  I stated you won't get the ear of Baker when you state things like, "I don't give a damn about any other program" when his job is to be the administrator for the entire department, not one that some alumni want.

How many would you estimate?

What are your ties to baseball?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

Well its very simple: If the folks who want it come up with enough money to make Wrens ears perk up, I would say give them their wish. If they don't then the plan stays as it is. But it is on them to prove the support is there with actual money.

I do wonder though. is there a specific reason we need a track and field (on the men's side at least)? Feels to me like that is a pretty big sport in terms of resources it uses and with probably only very little returning in resources and chances at glory. It is along the lines of could those resources (and schollies) be used to get resources for baseball (and also to stay on the good side of any title 9 questions). One might alternatively also target swimming and diving, but that might create title 9 problems.

I like having a track program. If you recall, JQ was on the track team awhile to build his speed.

college.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I like having a track program. If you recall, JQ was on the track team awhile to build his speed.

college.jpg

Oh, in a bubble I like the track program. Did quite a bit of track and field myself in my teens. Cleared 5-10 in high jump, qualified for the equivalent of a state championship in pentathlon, and if my BMI had been above 18 at the time maybe my shot put would not have killed my points so badly 🙂. Still, def not a college level athlete.

If there were no title 9 and financial issues there is zero reason to get rid of it. But the question is what people would be willing to give up in order to get baseball, if they say they want it so bad? Pie in the sky plans and demands without saying what needs to go or where the money comes from are not really good enough. I was just looking at track and field because of the mens sports it probably has the worst spectator to cost basics. But one can of course argue about its intangibles value to other sports. I wonder how many footballers at NT ever train with track coaches in a given year though. Probably more should follow JQs example, but these days I imagine the number usually is between 0 and 1 in normal year. That said I admit not to really know and am willing to be enlightened in that regard.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Baseball would not cost that much or you wouldn’t see UTSA and other lessor budget programs doing it.  Will it take work and creativity sure.  But it can be done.

True.  That is why they have it and didn't have football for years

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

On 4/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Sorry, but the AD's wish list is way more important. You just want baseball so you have somewhere to spit sunflower seeds in April, while the AD's wish list is about growing and improving our athletics department.

The problem with this statement is that our athletic department isn't growing and improving.  We haven't added programs in decades, and the only revenue producing sport that we can be proud of is Men's basketball.  A lot of us would argue the basketball success has to do with tremendous coaching and very little to do with anything else.  

Edited by Clinetort
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

Surely you don't think the number of programs we have is the only way to measure AD growth.

When it fits your narrative, you go with that. 
Makes me feel better because none of the SEC, Big XII, Big Ten programs are growing either. 

On 4/7/2022 at 5:47 AM, outoftown said:

This right here! I just don’t believe the support is there. Would love to be wrong.

7 hours ago, Clinetort said:

The problem with this statement is that our athletic department isn't growing and improving.  We haven't added programs in decades, and the only revenue producing sport that we can be proud of is Men's basketball.  A lot of us would argue the basketball success has to do with tremendous coaching and very little to do with anything else.  

You seem really invested in us getting a baseball program. Do you have any special ties to baseball, did you play on the old club/barely supported program?

On 4/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Baseball would not cost that much or you wouldn’t see UTSA and other lessor budget programs doing it.  Will it take work and creativity sure.  But it can be done.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Well, under "baseball wouldn't cost that much " you need to have a venue, which we don't. Just guessing but that's probably about $10 million. Then under "baseball doesn't cost that much" you need to add scholarships , coaches, trainers administrators, , and travel expenses. Perhaps a talking point on what expenses[ excluding a venue] might be are the annual costs for UTA's baseball team , which is public information should anyone interested care to look it up. Since I don't, I won't.

1 hour ago, Clinetort said:

Yes, I was a transfer on the 1985 team.

I know there is a group of alumni that played that are pushing for a team and I hope we get one sooner than later, but WB had a lot of issues to address per the consultants report, and those issues will take precedence over adding new programs. We had been running programs inefficiently and allowing facilities to deteriorate even though some were relatively new. From a big picture perspective it just doesn’t make sense to add when other existing programs have issues that need to be addressed now. I think we are getting close, so my suggestion would be to get involved to the best of your ability now and then shift your support when baseball is finally addressed. 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I know there is a group of alumni that played that are pushing for a team and I hope we get one sooner than later, but WB had a lot of issues to address per the consultants report, and those issues will take precedence over adding new programs. We had been running programs inefficiently and allowing facilities to deteriorate even though some were relatively new. From a big picture perspective it just doesn’t make sense to add when other existing programs have issues that need to be addressed now. I think we are getting close, so my suggestion would be to get involved to the best of your ability now and then shift your support when baseball is finally addressed. 

I've been heavily involved since the day I stepped on campus in 1985.  I've given extensively, been a season ticket-suite holder for decades, and believe in everything Mean Green.  What you have stated above is partially true.  Some of it is a bs  narrative put out by the athletic department that we cannot afford baseball.  Bullshit.  We can afford it, should have it and some of us that have been waiting patiently for decades are done waiting.  The squeaky wheel is about to get real squeaky.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, techdawg88 said:

now Dallas Baptist baseball is headed to CUSA in 2023

That is a good addition for C-USA, DBU is always good, currently ranked. Is probably also an improvement for DBU given that at least some away games will now be closer and the conference is at least same level as Missouri Valley it seems to me.