Baseball in CUSA and AAC

NT80

Mens Volleyball 🏐 over lacrosse.

Join the midwestern league that contains Loyola Chicago and Ohio state. Battle against UCLA USC BYU Hawaii Long Beach State Cal State Fullerton Nebraska and Penn State and become the premier volleyball destination for all big dudes in the Lone Star State. Stretch the Mean Green brand from coast to coast and watch Texas TCU and Baylor follow suit with programs in about a decade. Get the head start, compete with big brand programs and make some place in the rafters for some banners.

GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Can y’all please stfu about baseball. No we don’t have it. Yes we want it. But it is very expensive, and there and several things on the AD’s wishlist before Baseball. Like it or not folks a baseball program is probably a minimum of 10+ years away.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NTSU52 said:

Can y’all please stfu about baseball. No we don’t have it. Yes we want it. But it is very expensive, and there and several things on the AD’s wishlist before Baseball. Like it or not folks a baseball program is probably a minimum of 10+ years away.

Screw you!  Some of us will never shut up about baseball.  As a matter of fact, there are some of us that are about to get A LOT louder.  The AD's "wish list" is not more important than the stakeholders needs.  

Edited by Clinetort
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 7

13 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

Screw you!  Some of us will never shut up about baseball.  As a matter of fact, there are some of us that are about to get A LOT louder.  The AD's "wish list" is not more important than the stakeholders needs.  

Sorry, but the AD's wish list is way more important. You just want baseball so you have somewhere to spit sunflower seeds in April, while the AD's wish list is about growing and improving our athletics department.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

thank-you-the-office.gif

This is the football forum where we draw more than dozens of fans. College baseball is a waste of resources that can be better spent elevating McCasland’s program and rebuilding our football program.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

I love North Texas football and basketball.  I've been a season ticket holder for decades and I go to every game.  

I have only been to one college baseball game in my life, but I think if North Texas played baseball, I would attend in a similar manner that I attend FB and BB.

But more importantly, I think not having baseball reflects poorly on NT.  After all, we are a 40,000 student population university.  Far and away the largest in the metroplex.  When I look at the schools in the AAC that don't play baseball, SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa (the smallest "1-A" school in the nation), well, this is not a group I want to be in.  But here we are.  All 3 non-baseball schools are private.  

Look at every college football program you admire.  I bet they play baseball.  North Texas is a top tier university.  Top tier universities play baseball.  Simple.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I love North Texas football and basketball.  I've been a season ticket holder for decades and I go to every game.  

I have only been to one college baseball game in my life, but I think if North Texas played baseball, I would attend in a similar manner that I attend FB and BB.

But more importantly, I think not having baseball reflects poorly on NT.  After all, we are a 40,000 student population university.  Far and away the largest in the metroplex.  When I look at the schools in the AAC that don't play baseball, SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa (the smallest "1-A" school in the nation), well, this is not a group I want to be in.  But here we are.  All 3 non-baseball schools are private.  

Look at every college football program you admire.  I bet they play baseball.  North Texas is a top tier university.  Top tier universities play baseball.  Simple.

GO MEAN GREEN

Somehow I don't think top tier universities are rated upon having a baseball program or not. Simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I agree.  It’s just that they all play baseball.

Boise State just dropped its baseball program. Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Syracuse don’t have baseball. Only seven of twelve MWC teams have baseball. This list goes on. Took me two mins to google. So “all” doesn’t apply. 

Like has been stated a million times before. You want baseball, cut the check. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I love baseball and played it for the majority of my life.  Here is the problem, though.  North Texas ran every program on a shoestring budget for decades.  Building Apogee and the Athletic Center didn't fix that problem, but they were the first step in changing the culture.  The consultant's report highlighted major issues with facilities across the board that had to be addressed first. For instance:

Track and Field: The track at Fouts was in such bad shape that the team bussed to Denton High School to practice.

Soccer: Played initially on intramural fields way out by the Peterbilt plant and then on the old Liberty Christian football field.

Tennis: Although a relatively new facility had been built, it had been poorly maintained and is still missing its center court.

North Texas/Wren Baker had to address other issues prior to starting new programs from scratch.  We could not reach our goals of being competitive across the board with poor facilities.  Every existing program had something that needed immediate attention and that is where we are now.  Baker not only had to correct these issues, but he had to cultivate donors for all of these projects.  He had to take a big picture approach and fix numerous issues before taking on new programs.

Now, we have a handful of very vocal supporters of baseball that aren't looking past the outfield wall.  They want baseball, period and don't really care about the other programs.  My advice for this group, cultivate your donors, get them to financially commit to the program and donate with the direction that their money only be used for baseball.  Once enough is collected for a facility, salaries, scholarships, equipment, etc. we can start that program.  Until then, get involved, give, attend, support the best way you can.  We should strive to have a strong department not just one or two programs.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Boise State just dropped its baseball program. Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Syracuse don’t have baseball. Only seven of twelve MWC teams have baseball. This list goes on. Took me two mins to google. So “all” doesn’t apply. 

Like has been stated a million times before. You want baseball, cut the check. 

Greenjoe said "all the programs you admire".  He obviously doesn't admire the ones you listed. 😎

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Greenjoe said "all the programs you admire".  He obviously doesn't admire the ones you listed. 😎

Also, of the eight teams who made the CWS last year, only one finished in the top 25 in football. Baseball isn’t elevating your other programs. 

Having said that, I’m not of the belief that another sport will suck so many resources it will affect other sports. Our football problem isn’t exactly a “resource” issue. I’m not against baseball, I’d sport the hell out of a NT baseball hat. I’m against making up reasons to add baseball that don’t exist. 

Do we have a quarterback yet? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I love baseball and played it for the majority of my life.  He is the problem, though.  North Texas ran every program on a shoestring budget for decades.  Building Apogee and the Athletic Center didn't fix that problem, but they were the first step in changing the culture.  The consultant's report highlighted major issues with facilities across the board that had to be addressed first. For instance:

Track and Field: The track at Fouts was in such bad shape that the team bussed to Denton High School to practice.

Soccer: Played initially on intramural fields way out by the Peterbilt plant and then on the old Liberty Christian football field.

Tennis: Although a relatively new facility had been built, it had been poorly maintained and is still missing its center court.

North Texas/Wren Baker had to address other issues prior to starting new programs from scratch.  We could not reach our goals of being competitive across the board with poor facilities.  Every existing program had something that needed immediate attention and that is where we are now.  Baker not only had to correct these issues, but he had to cultivate donors for all of these projects.  He had to take a big picture approach and fix numerous issues before taking on new programs.

Now, we have a handful of very vocal supporters of baseball that aren't looking past the outfield wall.  They want baseball, period and don't really care about the other programs.  My advice for this group, cultivate your donors, get them to financially commit to the program and donate with the direction that their money only be used for baseball.  Once enough is collected for a facility, salaries, scholarships, equipment, etc. we can start that program.  Until then, get involved, give, attend, support the best way you can.  We should strive to have a strong department not just one or two programs.

This is exactly correct.  The majority of us that will fight for baseball in the coming months don't give a damn about other programs.  Let the war begin!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Clinetort said:

This is exactly correct.  The majority of us that will fight for baseball in the coming months don't give a damn about other programs.  Let the war begin!

Then expect to go nowhere fast.  If your goal isn't exceptional, well supported programs across the board, then you have lost a lot of support and won't catch the ear of the AD.  His job is to be an administrator for all programs, not the pet projects of a few.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Then expect to go nowhere fast.  If your goal isn't exceptional, well supported programs across the board, then you have lost a lot of support and won't catch the ear of the AD.  His job is to be an administrator for all programs, not the pet projects of a few.

I don't think the potential baseball supporters are as few as you believe.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1