New starting lineup?

Fingers still crossed that McBride comes back.  I hope McCasland is recruiting him.  We'll see.
I don't think Scott & Martinez both start.  As the roster stands, I would expect Stone to start, and Scott being the guy coming off the bench for either Martinez or Ousmane like he was doing this season.   But if McBride is truly gone, I bet we hit the JUCOs looking for another shooter like him.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather just wait until October and not speculate. Too many openings and too many guys from that 2021 bunch with question marks. Tylor Perry technically was not a starter but a starter that came in within 2 minutes. Bench has to be much stronger so I'm hoping we hit on more guys. With Thomas Bell gone, I don't see anyone with his ability to pound the ball down low for most of the 30 seconds.  Not sure if Grant will switch that up and open things up more. There's a kid (Trae Clayton, Kimball) that surprisingly is being overlooked. About 6-5. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

34 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I doubt McCasland starts 3 forwards.

I think NT also has 4 more ships to fill, so it is premature to even guess at this point.

Ousmane and Perry are the only two that I think are sure starters.

You don't think Rubin starts after starting every game but the last one this year?

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why are we assuming Perry won't play the 6th man role again?

Perry is the starter and best player.  Whether McCasland puts him in the official starting lineup does not matter.  

I define starters (need a better word) as the five players that play the most and are in the game in the big moments. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

You don't think Rubin starts after starting every game but the last one this year?

That will depend on recruiting, with probably four more players to be signed; I don't think he is a sure starter. 

He is a good defender, but I think both his point play and shooting need to improve.   Although, some of his issues stem from McCasland's game strategy of using nearly all the shot clock. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Do we think there is a chance McBride comes back ?  I had crossed him off consideration.  I hope the green is greener here than elsewhere.  

Possible if he doesn't like his options. He clearly wants a change of scene though, and he's been getting attention from name programs so I don't see it as likely. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

I'd rather just wait until October and not speculate. Too many openings and too many guys from that 2021 bunch with question marks. Tylor Perry technically was not a starter but a starter that came in within 2 minutes. Bench has to be much stronger so I'm hoping we hit on more guys. With Thomas Bell gone, I don't see anyone with his ability to pound the ball down low for most of the 30 seconds.  Not sure if Grant will switch that up and open things up more. There's a kid (Trae Clayton, Kimball) that surprisingly is being overlooked. About 6-5. 

What are your thoughts on the newest commit Jayden?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

Not sure if Grant will switch that up and open things up more

I listened to a Podcast with Tylor Perry and he said next years offense was going to be more uptempo. I don’t know what that looks like, but he seems to believe it. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
Link
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Because there's not an All-Conference Defense player in front of him anymore.

I don't think Murray starting over Perry had anything to do with that. You need a scorer off the bench to take advantage of the other teams' back-ups when subs start coming in. Perry starting would have required him to play through that first round of subs or put in Murray and go cold against those subs. Tactical decision. No different than Jason Terry's role with the Mavericks and Manu Ginobili with the Spurs. Unless we get more capable scorers on the bench, I expect a similar role for Perry next season.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think Murray starting over Perry had anything to do with that. You need a scorer off the bench to take advantage of the other teams' back-ups when subs start coming in. Perry starting would have required him to play through that first round of subs or put in Murray and go cold against those subs. Tactical decision. No different than Jason Terry's role with the Mavericks and Manu Ginobili with the Spurs. Unless we get more capable scorers on the bench, I expect a similar role for Perry next season.

It was a pretty popular story earlier this season when McCasland tried to insert Tylor into the starting lineup & was told instead by Tylor, paraphrasing, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”  JJ set that defensive tone every game.   Unless we can find a dude like him this offseason, there won’t be anyone in front of Tylor keeping him off the floor to start.

He was a 6th man in name only.  He’ll be starting next season.  He’s earned that.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Scott could be a dangerous #3.  One thing that I wished we did a better job of this season was attack the rim.  If Scott is paired vs. a true guard, he could do just that if our opponent has to tie up their big men vs. Ousmane and Martinez.  And he's athletic enough to defend a guard on the defensive end.  His jump shot was lacking this season but he could improve there.  But I certainly don't mind the idea of this line up.  Even so, I would still like for us to find a slasher that can make their way to the bucket.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fingers still crossed that McBride comes back.  I hope McCasland is recruiting him.  We'll see.
I don't think Scott & Martinez both start.  As the roster stands, I would expect Stone to start, and Scott being the guy coming off the bench for either Martinez or Ousmane like he was doing this season.   But if McBride is truly gone, I bet we hit the JUCOs looking for another shooter like him.

McBride is 100% sure not coming back here, can confirm.

Scott can start, no doubt. He has shown that he can roll with the starters very well, and now with 1 year under his belt, maybe he can adjust more and fit with Martinez and Abou. I just can't see Stone starting, unless we see a big step up offensively, which is a possibility.

I'm expecting a guard this week, not quite sure when.

Good times are ahead, no doubt!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Cooley said:

Get Jordan Williams to recruit him. 

• Upvote 1