UNH Forward Jayden Martinez Commits

Seems like a Bell replacement but wonder if he can play the 3. If not it makes the post interesting with Abou, Scott, Chris, and him in now Martinez in there. Going to have to look him up to see if he is more of a wing I guess but looks like he has great size. Maybe he can play with both Scott and Abou. 

• Upvote 7

39 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Is there time deadline for basketball transfers or is it just before school starts? Thanks

I believe it is June 30 in order to be eligible to play the next season. After that if they’re transferring from another D1 school I think they have to sit out a season. I think traditional grad transfers may be exempt from that date.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

His offensive rating (per 100 possessions) was 121 last year. Bell’s, for reference, was 100.5. The gulf is similar defensively (you want a lower number bc it’s points allowed), Bell had a 90, Martinez had a 106. 

This is an enormous boost for our offense at the 4 spot, but Mccasland and Hodge are going to really challenge him on the defensive end. He averaged 8.5 rebounds/game in 20-21 so he’s very capable there. I really like this.

Interesting to see his ORating has consistently improved every year, while his DRating is on a downward trend.  His best DR was 92.6, three years ago.

The way MacHodge preach defense, is it a stretch to imagine those trends being inverted in Denton? Gets better on DR, worse on OR?

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Interesting to see his ORating has consistently improved every year, while his DRating is on a downward trend.  His best DR was 92.6, three years ago.

The way MacHodge preach defense, is it a stretch to imagine those trends being inverted in Denton? Gets better on DR, worse on OR?

Not hard to imagine him maintaining the offensive rating. Or at least close to it. Whoever we swap in the rotation for JJ Murray will very likely be a big step forward there, plus Perry, Jones, and Abou, Martinez is going to get good looks.

He’ll get coached up defensively. If he doesn’t reverse the trend you pointed out, he won’t play as much as he wants.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Really jazzed about Jayden and his consistency.  Anyone know how good that league is?  Just hoping he can excel in C-USA next season and I think he could!

I don't know much about their conference but Vermont took Arkansas to the wire in the first round this year ultimately losing by 4. UMBC was the first 16 seed to upset a 1 seed when they beat Virginia by 20 in 2018. Seems to be a 1-bid conference, just like C-USA.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...