Who Am I?

UNTLifer

52 minutes ago, Marty said:

Kim Phillips 

You Are Good GIFs | Tenor

DB: Kim Phillips

After Wayne Walker burned NTSU for 162 receiving yards in the first half, Nelson put Phillips on Walker and shut him down.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-09-04-sp-2013-story.html

DB out of New Boston, TX, third round draft pick of New Orleans (#79 overall).

Played pro ball from '88 through '95 for New Orleans and Buffalo in the NFL and Winnipeg, Calgary and Shreveport in the CFL.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You Are Good GIFs | Tenor

DB: Kim Phillips

After Wayne Walker burned NTSU for 162 receiving yards in the first half, Nelson put Phillips on Walker and shut him down.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-09-04-sp-2013-story.html

DB out of New Boston, TX, third round draft pick of New Orleans (#79 overall).

Played pro ball from '88 through '95 for New Orleans and Buffalo in the NFL and Winnipeg, Calgary and Shreveport in the CFL.

KIm Phillips (#44 on your program) was also a very dangerous kick returner. I seem to recall him taking a long one against TCU in 86.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Clue #3:

Was All-Pro in the NFL at a different position than he played at North Texas State. 

There are two in that category.......

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Clue #2:

Started and ended his career in the same town. 

but this clue is the kicker. Brian Waters. Started and finished his career with the Cowboys.

I am ashamed to say this, but I don't remember the number that he wore at NT. I want to say #40.....or maybe 48. He played from 95 to 98 (Matt Simon and D.D. years). I seldom went to games during that era. Mainly because Helwig was the AD. I almost kicked NT to the curb because of Helwig.

Mr. Waters played three different positions at NT. TE (most of his career here) plus FB and DE.

Like the other player that I am alluding to, North Texas athletics did not appear to try and reach out to these former players to be active with the program. How in hell can you not reach out to former NT players that were All-Pro?

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Clue #4:

Was not drafted out of North Texas but ended up playing 169 games in the NFL starting 115 of them.

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Clue #4:

Was not drafted out of North Texas but ended up playing 169 games in the NFL starting 115 of them.

JT Smith! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

JT Smith! 

We have a winner.  

I found some interesting information on JT while doing my scant research for this game.

* Played the same amount of NFL seasons as Joe Greene and Brian Waters (13).

* 13 career interceptions tied for 3rd all-time at NT.

* Set a school record averaging 34.5 yards per punt return vs. SMU in 1976.

* Signed as a free agent with K.C. Chiefs after going undrafted.

* Played for K.C., Washington, and St. Louis/Phoenix.

* Was All-Pro in 1980 and 1988.

* Led the NFL in receiving in 1987 with 91 catches for 1117 yards and 8 TD's.

* Grew up in Big Spring, TX.  Returned to the field at the age of 51 for the IFL Big Spring Roughnecks.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/jt-smith-returns-to-field-at-record-age-51/n-3423070

BIG SPRING, TX. : Big Spring has one of their own playing in the IFL pre-season game titled the "Brawl in Big Spring". Starting his competitive football career as a Steer at Big Spring High School, wide receiver JT Smith will end it as a Big Spring Roughneck. "JT called and was very excited about the IFL brining the first-ever professional football game to his home town of Big Spring. He offered to help in anyway that he could but probably never dreamed that we would ask this of him", stated Roughnecks President Tommy Benizio, "He thought that I was kidding at first but after a little joking, convincing, begging, and getting his wife's permission, he agreed. This saved me from having to call and beg Bubba Franks!" JT's participation will set a record previously held by 46 year-old Atlanta Hawks place kicker Morten Andersen making him the oldest person ever to play professional football. "I am glad that I have kept healthy and am going to start getting in shape right away", said Smith, "I am very excited to come out of long-time retirement and put on a professional football uniform to represent the people and city of Big Spring, Texas!"

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We have a winner.  

I found some interesting information on JT while doing my scant research for this game.

* Played the same amount of NFL seasons as Joe Greene and Brian Waters (13).

* 13 career interceptions tied for 3rd all-time at NT.

* Set a school record averaging 34.5 yards per punt return vs. SMU in 1976.

* Signed as a free agent with K.C. Chiefs after going undrafted.

* Played for K.C., Washington, and St. Louis/Phoenix.

* Was All-Pro in 1980 and 1988.

* Led the NFL in receiving in 1987 with 91 catches for 1117 yards and 8 TD's.

* Grew up in Big Spring, TX.  Returned to the field at the age of 51 for the IFL Big Spring Roughnecks.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/jt-smith-returns-to-field-at-record-age-51/n-3423070

BIG SPRING, TX. : Big Spring has one of their own playing in the IFL pre-season game titled the "Brawl in Big Spring". Starting his competitive football career as a Steer at Big Spring High School, wide receiver JT Smith will end it as a Big Spring Roughneck. "JT called and was very excited about the IFL brining the first-ever professional football game to his home town of Big Spring. He offered to help in anyway that he could but probably never dreamed that we would ask this of him", stated Roughnecks President Tommy Benizio, "He thought that I was kidding at first but after a little joking, convincing, begging, and getting his wife's permission, he agreed. This saved me from having to call and beg Bubba Franks!" JT's participation will set a record previously held by 46 year-old Atlanta Hawks place kicker Morten Andersen making him the oldest person ever to play professional football. "I am glad that I have kept healthy and am going to start getting in shape right away", said Smith, "I am very excited to come out of long-time retirement and put on a professional football uniform to represent the people and city of Big Spring, Texas!"

I'm going to call shenanigans on this one. Your clue..
"Started and ended his career in the same town" Fits Brian Waters to a T. He signed his first and last pro contract with Dallas. Other wise I would have guessed J.T. Smith (#44 on your program) long ago. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I'm going to call shenanigans on this one. Your clue..
"Started and ended his career in the same town" Fits Brian Waters to a T. He signed his first and last pro contract with Dallas. Other wise I would have guessed J.T. Smith (#44 on your program) long ago. 

No shenanigans.  He started his playing career in Big Spring as a youth and ended it on the Big Spring IFL team.