How can you not get a QB?

Jonnyeagle

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/jd-head/5577

"Longest pass of the season went for 20 yards against Georgia Southern at the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (12/23)"

Also he doesn't have a qb name like Stone Earle.

this was 2 years ago in the bowl game as a true freshman.....he threw 6 TDS against CUSA teams in 4 games....one of them

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Football143 said:

this was 2 years ago in the bowl game as a true freshman.....he threw 6 TDS against CUSA teams in 4 games....one of them

https://twitter.com/_treharris13/status/1464794024246747140?s=20&t=24c3tLNR7MPCFO3aopblAg

another.....  threw 3 against UAB and ran for another....

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Yeah that's why Ruder started the first 3 or 4 games last season.

True, remind me how that turned out again?

Not a knock on Ruder at all, but moreso the fact that we then watched Aune complete less than 50% of his passes in 6 games, including a stretch of 1 TD and 4 interceptions in the Marshall and Liberty games as well as 4 straight losses and it never seemed like there was a consideration to make a change.

We are going into year 3 of Aune continuing to be stuck in as a starter, if the staff wanted him gone they could have made it clear at the end of the year they wanted to explore other options and I imagine he would have retired, but here we are so I think it's pretty obvious someone wants him around.

• Upvote 5

News flash- Aune was the starter during last spring and we all knew when he was invited back after a disastrous bowl performance he was the guy again.  Why in the hell would you invite back a 30 year old QB unless you planned on him being the guy.  Why would you take reps away from Ryder or the other transfers?  Please some of the genius’ on here explain it for us dimwits.Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

News flash- Aune was the starter during last spring and we all knew when he was invited back after a disastrous bowl performance he was the guy again.  Why in the hell would you invite back a 30 year old QB unless you planned on him being the guy.  Why would you take reps away from Ryder or the other transfers?  Please some of the genius’ on here explain it for us dimwits.Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Aune was only the starter last spring because Ruder was still in Chapel Hill. That is why Ruder was the game 1 starter. Aune was slated to be the backup until Ruder went “deer in the headlights”. You invite him back for experience, maturity, and depth. If they were going to hand him the job, they would’ve kept Kason around as a backup who knew the playbook. That isn’t the play here. They brought in 2 young, talented, players with game experience to compete with both our starters from last season. If Aune ends up with the job for game 1, it’ll be because the coaches believe he gives them the best chance to win and with our new run-first offense, that might end up being the case.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

With Vito reporting that Aune looks like the guy I just am scratching my head and wondering TF we still don’t have a better QB on the roster?  To me that was a clear need and they evidently did not address it.

Signing 2 QB's seems to me, to be addressing the need.

Whether those two or Ruder are better than Aune remains to be decided.

Aune is obviously going to start ahead in the Spring over the others.  He is the returning starter and has much more experience than any of the others.

There is also the very real possibility that if Littrell is not satisfied with what he sees in the spring, he can sign yet another QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Littrell favoring Aune is hilarious. He has done everything to not start Aune including actually starting other players ahead of him and bringing in multiple transfers to try to get someone to seize and hold the job. Aune keeps getting it by default for the most part. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not against Earle.  Heck, I'm not against any of our QB's, but I don't understand the rush to have Earle start when we haven't seen him play a down.  I also don't get the link above as proof that he can perform under pressure.  Again, I am not against him, but I am trying to understand why there are a couple of posters that think he is the answer.

I've certainly seen that anune can't compete under pressure.  

Edit. The people down voting must enjoy having a qb with 50% completion 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, Cougar King said:

We understand UNT's pain. We cannot find a solid backup qb to compliment Tune.

Can’t find a QB who will compliment Tune? Is the guy a complete jerk or something? Why is everyone they bring in incapable of offering Tune so much as a “hey dude, good job”?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't understand Seth's love for transfer QBs, yet none of them see the field very long.   Maybe there is a Bigger problem than the QB room?

It’s certainly not anything unique given the current landscape of college football. We never developed a starter behind Fine while he was here, because we never recruited anyone who really was good enough during that time. Since he left we haven’t really had great internal options so he looked externally. Gilmore didn’t work, Ruder has not worked out thus far, hopefully Stone or Earle do.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s certainly not anything unique given the current landscape of college football. We never developed a starter behind Fine while he was here, because we never recruited anyone who really was good enough during that time. Since he left we haven’t really had great internal options so he looked externally. Gilmore didn’t work, Ruder has not worked out thus far, hopefully Stone or Earle do.

I disagree because we did have Quinn Shanbpur and he was decent.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/1/2022 at 6:50 PM, Cr1028 said:

I’m about as big a Shanbour fan as anyone on this board but he was our Chase Daniel, a smart, reliable backup, and nothing more.

I get what you mean, but the key difference is Chase Daniel was a stud in college

Coached by David Yost (paging @MeanGreenTexan), who is now the OC at FIU, while we have an OL coach teaching our QB's how to pull and attack the second level LB's on a power run.

Littrell's management of the QB situtation post Fine/Harrell has been the downfall of our program. How do you not find a QB/QB Coach to reliably run your system for 4 years now? It's a joke. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I get what you mean, but the key difference is Chase Daniel was a stud in college

Coached by David Yost (paging @MeanGreenTexan), who is now the OC at FIU, while we have an OL coach teaching our QB's how to pull and attack the second level LB's on a power run.

Littrell's management of the QB situtation post Fine/Harrell has been the downfall of our program. How do you not find a QB/QB Coach to reliably run your system for 4 years now? It's a joke. 

Coulda,
Shoulda, &
Woulda.
Guess Littrell wasn't paying attention when Yost's offense was absolutely shredding the best defense he's had (Hall & Brooks at CB, Ejiya at MLB, Hamilton on the edge Young & Novil inside, Muhammad keeping things clean at S) in the NM Bowl.

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Littrell has never been able to put a complete football team together. If the offense is great the defense sucks, if the defense and offense are great, the special teams suck, etc. 

• Upvote 2