Is it time for RV to be inducted in the HOF?

Jonnyeagle

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How about a 3rd party standard? Because we had one done, and it was awful

They didn't analyze the shit show he inherited from 1999, did they? They didn't analyze before and after, did they? I am very aware of the 3rd party report. Those third-party reports are such performative art. It's not like there was anything in the "report" we didn't already know and if there was, we certainly should have and that's on us. Talk about a waste of money. It reminds me of the American contracting the former B1G guys to give them advice on conference realignment and the American realized the report they received wasn't anything they didn't already know. Remember the bullshit Gene Stallings report on UNT? It was craaaaaaaap. It was only $20K but c'mon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Unlike a lot of you, apparently, I cannot get past that 3rd party evaluation at the end of his tenure.  I cannot discredit Flyer's grassroots campaign.  I think it - not RV - is the reason the vote passed.  And the worst statistic of all is the combined record of all his hires in the major sports.

Did the needle move while he was here? Yep! But not a lot, and certainly not thanks to any genius RV move.  IMO, you could have placed anyone - including past pro-athletics ADs - into his position at the same time and they would have done at least as well...probably better.

We will agree to disagree.  Thanks for reading.

This is an important statistic for sure, but you are GREATLY missing the mark like all of the message board experts who couldn't for the life of them figure out why UNT was invited to the American when in reality we were a slam dunk. It didn't just happen when Wren arrived and the grand summation of all of the previous ADs efforts amounted to a pile of shit. RV deserves a TREMENDOUS amount of credit for seeing the big picture and getting us in a position to get to where we wanted to be. If anyone else could have done it, they would have. They didn't and they are stuck where they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

They didn't analyze the shit show he inherited from 1999, did they?

This comes back to the needle moving from really awful, to not-as awful.

Where were you when the report came out? I think the general sentiment on the board was, these were things/pictures that most suspected, but having someone step in - someone not affiliated with UNT - and bringing them to light was important.

I think that is how most of these evaluations work in any industry.  You need to hear it from someone outside your echo chamber.  That's their value.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This comes back to the needle moving from really awful, to not-as awful.

Where were you when the report came out? I think the general sentiment on the board was, these were things/pictures that most suspected, but having someone step in - someone not affiliated with UNT - and bringing them to light was important.

I think that is how most of these evaluations work in any industry.  You need to hear it from someone outside your echo chamber.  That's their value.

Dude, just stop. RV should be assessed on how it was when he started to how it was when he left because that was, you know, his job. We weren't just awful; we were ULM awful. We passed many a school during his tenure in terms of big boy business stuff like facilities, revenue, and willingness to take on debt. That's the big boy business stuff that gets you into better conferences instead of ABC State who does a lot with a little who can't understand why they got passed by because they had a better win loss record than UNT and then blame it on markets.

I was right here when that bullshit report came out. Yes, we needed to improve on some things. We still do and we don't need another "report" to make it true.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

RV should be assessed on how it was when he started to how it was when he left because that was, you know, his job.

Absolutely

RV will probably get in for all the reasons you've posted about the AAC move.  He was the face of athletics when we started turning the corner financially/administratively.  Would love to hear from others who have more insight about how much RV played a part in getting that money for athletics.

Terrible coaching hires that set our programs back a decade+.  Failed athletic fee vote.  ...all of that will be glossed over by the people that vote.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t know your age but if you walked around campus as a student both before RV and after, you’d have noticed a night and day difference in the amount of Mean Green attire being worn vs the Texas/OU/Aggie gear that was commonplace for our little commuter school prior to his arrival.

I got on campus in late 1993. 

I appreciated in the moment his enthusiasm doing the shirt swap with students but again, we’re talking low bar stuff here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Terrible coaching hires that set our programs back a decade+.  Failed athletic fee vote.  ...all of that will be glossed over by the people that vote.

Not entirely. Johnny Jones was a fantastic hire. Todd Dodge was a huge help in fundraising for the stadium he never got to coach in and DMac was able to win a bowl game with many of Dodge’s player a few key contributors he recruited as well.

Decade plus? When is the last time we had a 10 consecutive seasons with a losing record in men’s basketball or football?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, meanrob said:

I got on campus in late 1993. 

I appreciated in the moment his enthusiasm doing the shirt swap with students but again, we’re talking low bar stuff here. 

It is low bar stuff but thus far our hall of fame has been relatively low bar. How can we have let some in with lesser accomplishments and not let those who’ve done more later on.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It is low bar stuff but thus far our hall of fame has been relatively low bar. How can we have let some in with lesser accomplishments and not let those who’ve done more later on.

It doesn’t bother me if he goes in the HOF. My main point was over a fifteen plus year career the talking points people use about his time here involve some low bar “highlights”. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You act like we’re the only ones who have made this mistake.  Look at the Mavs and Brad Davis.  He has no business beside Dirk.

• Upvote 1