Is it time for RV to be inducted in the HOF?

Jonnyeagle

RV came in and did just about nothing. Tailgating was a no brainer and most all other schools had it already. The master plan for the golf course was already published. The mismanagement under  RV was amazing. He pissed off most of the Alumni Football players and other sports alumni as well. He is and was a big fat joke. 

Hell no, he should be banned. 

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

For all of youngsters I've been watching NORTH TEXAS athletics for 55 years and Rick V brought so much to the school as far    as upgrading facilities, tailgating, and student involvement since Hayden was here. As far his hires Dodge and the idiot women's basketball coach was sort of forced on him by Batille(sp), Jones  was a home run. All the above being said Wren is taking it to the next level, but Rick got it rolling in the right direction. Yes I vote for him HOF. There I've vented

While I agree with most of your post; specifically RV deserves HOF recognition, I don't agree with it all. 

Bataille, no doubt wanted more women coaches. However. it was Villarreal's job to find the right one and I don't think she had much to do with hiring Dodge. 

Dodge was a very popular choice at the time,  Most of the critism of his hire came after his failure not before.  

AD's hit and miss on coach hires all the time, RV also had the misfortune to have to work with limited funds.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

RV came in and did just about nothing. Tailgating was a no brainer and most all other schools had it already. The master plan for the golf course was already published. The mismanagement under  RV was amazing. He pissed off most of the Alumni Football players and other sports alumni as well. He is and was a big fat joke. 

Hell no, he should be banned. 

But how do you really feel?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Not principally against him ever getting to HOF. He did some pretty good things that allowed NT to start moving overall in the right direction. But think it is just a bit too soon. Once the end years with the bad hires and the inability to some degree to lead the program into more modern times and what from the outside appears to be some internal disfunction, are a bit further away, it becomes more logical to me to have him there.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Monthly

Haha - touché and I appreciate the correction. 

It (should) be a big jump from “wow, cool he is still a visible fan and glad he’s around, especially after those last few years” to “hall of fame lock,” right! Could we settle on a midpoint, like a framed pic of him and Scotty Pippen?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Corky Nelson, Darrell Dickey, and Tina Slinker are all in with losing records. Andrew Smith is in because he died while he was on the team. If those 4 are in, there is no reason RV shouldn’t be in. Apogee, JJ, and the athletic center were enough in my mind. He also tried to get students engaged by swapping UNT gear for their Longhorn, Aggie, or Sooner attire. He wasn’t a Wren Baker level salesman/fundraiser but he did several things worthy of recognition and should be in the NT HOF whether he is still a fan or not.

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-athletic-director-rick-villarreal-stepping-down

Exactly. It’s the North Texas HOF not the pro football one. The bar was set so low long ago. He made mistakes but had some success as well. That is pretty much how our HOF works. If Dickey and Derek Thompson made, Rick probably should be too. 

• Upvote 5

I believe if the bar is set so low we should go ahead and put ALL HIS UNDERACHIEVING COACH HIRES in with him so we can see all his workings. I mean why not put those HS coaches in to secure our place in promoting HS advancements.

Why not put CNN and MSNBC in too for all their good work? I'm sure as big as our university is we have some grad's there too ( ...fake progress with RV). And some think, he was the driving force for the stadium- really!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

can we up the bar, or do we gotta let more people in because we gotta stick with that previous low bar?

Seriously, can my dad get in, or some of the vendors? Maybe every year we can induct a random person from the stands at homecoming into our HOF.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, Cooley said:
2008–09 Shanice Stephens 11–20 6–12
2009–10 Shanice Stephens 9–22 5–13
2010–11 Shanice Stephens 5–25 2–14
2011–12 Karen Aston 15–16 7–9
2012–13 Mike Petersen 11–19 10–10
2013–14 Mike Petersen 12–18 6–10
2014–15 Mike Petersen 5–24 4–14

Put him in. Facilities are nice.

Karen Aston was a fantastic hire and was poached by the Texas Longhorns after just one season. The rest weren’t very good but Tina Slinker is in the hall of fame with a losing record so not a great history to compare to. Remember, Jalie was also hired by RV.

https://www.ntdaily.com/how-head-coach-jalie-mitchell-turned-her-alma-mater-back-into-a-contender/

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Remember, Jalie was also hired by RV.

Barely above .500.  No 'ships.  Not really a leg to stand on here.  Hate saying that, because I love Jalie, want her here, and think she's on an upward trajectory.

...but that's about  as strong an argument as "he started tailgating".  Come on people.  This was not a genius, HOF-worthy move.  You mean to tell me if I had been hired at the same time and thought, "This football campus needs to tailgate", you'd be celebrating me?

Let's continue to discuss.  We really need to iron out what HOF expectations are.  Based on this thread, it looks like they're all over the place.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Barely above .500.  No 'ships.  Not really a leg to stand on here.  Hate saying that, because I love Jalie, want her here, and think she's on an upward trajectory.

...but that's about  as strong an argument as "he started tailgating".  Come on people.  This was not a genius, HOF-worthy move.  You mean to tell me if I had been hired at the same time and thought, "This football campus needs to tailgate", you'd be celebrating me?

Let's continue to discuss.  We really need to iron out what HOF expectations are.  Based on this thread, it looks like they're all over the place.

Which athletic director in our history hired a women’s basketball coach good enough to merit HOF induction in your mind? None, none is the answer. If so, we should probably dissolve the HOF and re-induct only those that meet these new higher standards. If DD is in, RV should be in too.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

42 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If so, we should probably dissolve the HOF and re-induct only those that meet these new higher standards. If DD is in, RV should be in too.

I can honor previous inductees, acknowledge that we are spending much more money than previous generations, and adjust expectations accordingly. we can carry on and recalibrate our expectations.  No need to dissolve.

I'll allow it.
Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1