Portal is fascinating. In the short time it has been around I classed guys into three groups.
1. Those doing well looking to go up the food chain.
2. Those not getting the experience they expected and looking to move in some direction to find that experience, generally playing time.
3. Guys whose services are no longer required.
Seeing high major starters go in?
This think that requires a fourth category.
4. I want more NIL money and playing leverage to get it from you or someone else.
ESPN FPI rankings of the 5 G5 champions.
46 Boise State
71 Miami (OH)
So much for the highest rated G5 champion. Liberty did not play a P5 team and doesn't have any P5 on future schedules until 2027 when they start a three for one with Virginia Tech. So they aren't going to amass a well regarded schedule but they do have a softer path to undefeated.
I suspect had NCAA not imposed the waiting period and JMU had been able to play for the Sun Belt title, being 12-1 might have got them in.
* The Sun Belt champ would have rated higher but the NCAA a few years ago in a potentially antitrust violating manner declared a two year boycott of teams moving from FCS to FBS (note that both Nevada and Marshall had previously played in the FCS playoffs one season and bowls the next). Because of that boycott JMU couldn't play in the Sun Belt title game. JMU finished 37 and whomever won between Troy and JMU would have finished higher than 45.