New population estimates reveal which areas of Texas are growing the fastest

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Five counties in Texas grew by more than 25,000 residents from 2020 to 2021, newly-released data from the U.S. Census Bureau shows.

The agency published its July 1, 2021 population estimates Thursday. Williamson, Travis and Hays Counties all appear in the 10 counties that added the most residents. Of the 254 counties in Texas, 169 saw an increase in population, while 85 had a population decline.

Kaufman County, southeast of Dallas, grew at the fastest rate of any county in the state — 8.57%, adding 12,458 new residents between 2020 and 2021. Comal, Rockwall, Liberty and Hays Counties comprise the rest of the top five fastest-growing counties.

Loving County, west of Midland/Odessa, had the largest percent decrease in population, declining by 10.94% from 64 to 57 total residents.

When looking at raw numbers, Collin County, north of Dallas, had the largest population increase, with almost 45,000 new residents. Dallas County saw the largest population decrease, losing 27,489 residents between 2020 and 2021.

read more:  https://cw39.com/news/texas/new-population-estimates-reveal-which-areas-of-texas-are-growing-the-fastest/amp/

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

AUSTIN (KXAN) –  Dallas County saw the largest population decrease, losing 27,489 residents between 2020 and 2021.

read more:  https://cw39.com/news/texas/new-population-estimates-reveal-which-areas-of-texas-are-growing-the-fastest/amp/

Wooooooowww. Probably all these damn investors cornering the housing market and just letting homes sit empty. There's a few down the street from me that could easily go for 700k and higher, but nobody's home. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Wooooooowww. Probably all these damn investors cornering the housing market and just letting homes sit empty. There's a few down the street from me that could easily go for 700k and higher, but nobody's home. 

Sad but so damn true.  Our own residents can’t afford to buy a house because the investors have priced them out of the market.  No wonder we can’t get the people to work.  They have no future. Sad!

• Upvote 3

I doubt those Dallas county numbers are correct, the number of new condos, apartments all over Dallas county are over whelming and they are are mostly full. From the cedars, bishop arts, trinity grove, design district, deep ellum, white rock, north park, Fitzhugh, mockingbird station and more just in the city of Dallas, plus all the new developments in Las Colinas, grand prairie, Irving, garland, mesquite and more. Those Dallas county numbers are really wrong, there is no way Dallas county did not continue to grow, and many times over that number. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I doubt those Dallas county numbers are correct, the number of new condos, apartments all over Dallas county are over whelming and they are are mostly full. From the cedars, bishop arts, trinity grove, design district, deep ellum, white rock, north park, Fitzhugh, mockingbird station and more just in the city of Dallas, plus all the new developments in Las Colinas, grand prairie, Irving, garland, mesquite and more. Those Dallas county numbers are really wrong, there is no way Dallas county did not continue to grow, and many times over that number. 

I think you're confusing number of households and household size. I work in the Deep Ellum and Trinity Groves area and very rarely do I see those condos, apartments, and townhouses being inhabited by families. It's a lot of single folks or couples with no kids. I live in Kaufman County and it's mostly families who have moved out here for lower housing costs and generally better public school systems than what Dallas provides (except for the Magnet schools). Families moving out of Dallas and young people moving to the city for their new just graduated job opportunities or wanting to be in the city to be close to the party scene. Numbers make sense to me from what I see.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think you're confusing number of households and household size. I work in the Deep Ellum and Trinity Groves area and very rarely do I see those condos, apartments, and townhouses being inhabited by families. It's a lot of single folks or couples with no kids. I live in Kaufman County and it's mostly families who have moved out here for lower housing costs and generally better public school systems than what Dallas provides (except for the Magnet schools). Families moving out of Dallas and young people moving to the city for their new just graduated job opportunities or wanting to be in the city to be close to the party scene. Numbers make sense to me from what I see.

A lot of those single family homes are being knocked down for denser development though. Grandma and grandpa might leave the house to live in a senior care facility, but the lot is more valuable and 3-4 townhomes get built where their ranch home stood. 27k isn't a crazy number either way when you're talking about a county with 2.5+ million, but it is a little surprising when you see all the new construction happening the last decade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

A lot of those single family homes are being knocked down for denser development though. Grandma and grandpa might leave the house to live in a senior care facility, but the lot is more valuable and 3-4 townhomes get built where their ranch home stood. 27k isn't a crazy number either way when you're talking about a county with 2.5+ million, but it is a little surprising when you see all the new construction happening the last decade. 

There's some truth there.

You'd also be surprised how many families are living in some of these houses. I grew up in an 800 square foot house. The house across the street of similar size had 3 families living in there. Couldn't tell you how many kids they all had together.

I've been to houses in bishop arts/ kings highways/ Winnetka heights area where 1 house is actually broken up into around 8 apartments no more than a couple hundred square feet each (1 room and 1 bathroom). Some of the setups I've been in are insane. I'm not saying they're all like that but tearing down 1 house to build a few condos doesn't necessarily mean you bring more residents, just more money.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Who the hell would live in Dallas? It’s a crime ridden over taxed shithole full of white yuppies.

Trust me, people aren’t moving to Dallas County. They’re moving to Denton and Collin and Tarrant. Your specific experience is just that.

Fargo Fx GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Who the hell would live in Dallas? It’s a crime ridden over taxed shithole full of white yuppies.

Trust me, people aren’t moving to Dallas County. They’re moving to Denton and Collin and Tarrant. Your specific experience is just that.

Grew up in Richardson and live in Fort Worth now. I really miss the Richardson area for a few reasons, not the least of which is for the food. 

The area between Aubrey and Celina is being developed so rapidly I shutter to think what travel down highway 380 will be like since it's already a nightmare and they just now began construction to widen it. When will small towns learn it's not worth it to let your town be ravaged by builders who plop 500 houses with 4 feet of side yard in between each on 6500 square foot lots all for a little money? That whole area has a bunch of 2 lane roads without shoulders or turn lanes and simply doesn't have the infrastructure to support that kind of growth so quickly. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Anything? Dallas is just a sprawling suburb. You can get Chili’s anywhere. The museums suck, the parks suck, the food scene sucks. Denton and FW offer the same thing.

Okay, when I'm at the My Morning Jacket concert in a few weeks I'll think about what it might cost for an uber back to Denton and then chuckle and have myself another beer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Anything? Dallas is just a sprawling suburb. You can get Chili’s anywhere. The museums suck, the parks suck, the food scene sucks. Denton and FW offer the same thing.

Why do you even live in the area?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

It’s alright. It’s definitely not what it was, but every generation probably feels the same. Really the only place I’d live in this shithole.

Seriously, if you think DFW is so great please go out and travel to a place where half the land the city sits on isn’t just a freeway.

I don’t think DFW is that great, have lived in a few places far out of this state, had a job that let me travel a lot of the world and am still now glad to be recently back in Denton despite not loving Texas. I think you sound unbearably big mad about not having fun going out in uptown, so I hope you get to move elsewhere someday. It’s pretty great and beats being the guy whining with faux edgy comments about a circumstance he can easily change. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Uptown is terrible. It’s not even really the party scene anymore. It’s Deep Ellum, as long as you can avoid being stabbed of course.

I think both of them suck (sorry Dot’s, but I have your better options 5 minutes away) and if I go out in Dallas at this point, it’s a few hand selected Greenville haunts for me. I also haven’t been out in Dallas in probably 1.5 years. We have a lot of common ground here. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I think both of them suck (sorry Dot’s, but I have your better options 5 minutes away) and if I go out in Dallas at this point, it’s a few hand selected Greenville haunts for me. I also haven’t been out in Dallas in probably 1.5 years. We have a lot of common ground here. 

I personally like the Cedars.  It’s like Deep Ellen used to be.  Deep Ellum is the new West end.

14 hours ago, texx2818 said:

If you had been to a real American city you’d agree. Dallas sucks.

Guess I’ve never been to a real American city. That’s gonna be real bad news to a lot of places, man. 

you know you can not like a place without changing the definition of a very basic ass term, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1