DRC breaking news (updated with story) -- C-USA resolves membership issues, lets three schools leave, a move that will impact UNT football slate

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news (updated with story) -- C-USA resolves membership issues
  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news (updated with story) -- C-USA resolves membership issues, lets three schools leave, a move that will impact UNT football slate
2 hours ago, ADLER said:

So, who's added to our schedule to replace those departing teams?

"This means that Conference USA will play with 11 members next season. A schedule to reflect the league's new structure is expected to be released soon.

Sources told ESPN that the odd number of programs has prompted the league to petition the NCAA for health and safety reasons to play two football games in Week 0 in 2022."

The Week 0 solution could be a nice plum for CUSA. I’m sure CBSSN would be more than happy to clear a spot or two. If it were me running CUSA, I’d have something like UTEP-NMSU, WKU-Tech (everybody roots for a meteor strike classic), and MTSU-FIU on week 0 screw the guys who are leaving and try to get some focus on the league it’s going to be.

The player safety ploy is smart thinking.

No surprise at it got ironed out. I’m sure some wire transfers were made and everyone said good luck to ya with no one meaning it.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

The Week 0 solution could be a nice plum for CUSA. I’m sure CBSSN would be more than happy to clear a spot or two. If it were me running CUSA, I’d have something like UTEP-NMSU, WKU-Tech (everybody roots for a meteor strike classic), and MTSU-FIU on week 0 screw the guys who are leaving and try to get some focus on the league it’s going to be.

Everyone wanted to leave.  No school said, "no thanks, we are good with Judy!".

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, MT had the chance, but looked at their bank account & said that!

Their leadership must be really short on cash, or incredibly near-sighted.  Poor WKU was on their same chain & couldn’t get out.

That was a stunner. By all accounts it was supposedly a straight money decision.

Their travel would have gone down, their TV exposure would have gone up. 

New CUSA 4.0 or whatever it needs to be labeled isn’t going to be a bad hoops league which is something that ought to help keep WKU and MTSU somewhat happy but MAC would have been a better fit there too.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

Actually only 2.  We only need replacements for USM and Marshall, ODU wasn't on the schedule this year.  I vote for MTSU and WKU since they aren't going with us to AAC.

Stranger you are correct I would rather have  Charlotte and FAU because they will be in the other division in the AAC.