DRC: UNT continues to look for groove in passing game in scrimmage after losing Brown to torn ACL

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Most pressing question - QB play. Any feedback?

I just clicked it and article is currently available for anyone to read.  

Here is one sad or good observation, depending on if you like Offense or Defense:

"— UNT’s defense recorded multiple sacks and forced several bad throws, a performance UNT coach Seth Littrell credited largely to coordinator Phil Bennett."

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

Here is one sad or good observation, depending on if you like Offense or Defense:

"— UNT’s defense recorded multiple sacks and forced several bad throws, a performance UNT coach Seth Littrell credited largely to coordinator Phil Bennett."

SOS...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

here we go batman GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Gee, you think?

I was in attendance. I sat next to the parents of a starter on the team. We compared observations during the scrimmage......mostly about the QB's. 

Keep in mind that "sacks" are called/credited when the QB is touched or his shirt is grabbed...... some plains Indian tribes used to call it "counting coup".   Now, each of these in a real game situation could have resulted in a real sack.  But, on more than a couple of occasions, it looked to me like the QB could have escaped and gotten some yards running. Suffice it to say that the defense (as is usually the case in the spring/fall practices) was ahead of the offence. And the defense (aggression-wise) is not missing the Murphy Brothers. 

One incident illustrates my point. Toward the end of the scrimmage, and after a field goal try, a fight broke out between a Defensive player and a O-Lineman. Nothing too unusual about that, except that this was not chest bumping and chicken fighting.......it was fast and furious. The momentum of the fight quickly took the participants about 20+ yards downfield before it was finally stopped and broken up. And it took all of the refs, coaches and many players to do it. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Defensively, I saw 59 around the ball a lot....including knocking down a couple of passes. He was also one of the last players walking away from the area of the fight.  #99 (Enoch Jackson) had a couple of behind the line of scrimmage stops on RB's. After that, the running game did reasonably well. The DB's were for the most part, all over the receivers. Which resulted in several flags being thrown on them. But at least they were not getting beat.

But the star of the day on Defense was #93 on your program, Roderick Brown. As the scrimmage progressed, he got more and more difficult to block. Especially on passing downs.  He "counted coup" around three times in the scrimmage. If this continues through out the fall, then around mid-season someone is going to make the "Bugger" comparison.

QB's were.......well.....OK for the first scrimmage. Aune got most of the reps for about the first 1/3rd of the scrimmage. After that, it was Ruder, Earl, and Head in that order. Aune was, well....Aune. Some reasonably good throws, and some bad ones. Ruder got off a pretty good pass to Lyles (#13), but he was also hot and cold. He got off one long run, but that was about his longest play. Both Head and Earl (IMHO) looked better than Ruder. They both have pretty strong arms, but I think that Earle's is a bit stronger. A lot of the "bad passes" that BV made reference to were overthrows of long pass plays. Earle threw a couple of those, but he also made what I consider the best throw of the day. He was running to his left when he fired a sideline pass to Maclin (#9, the transfer from Missouri). Maclin was wearing a DB and going down when the pass hit him in the ol' bread basket. Great throw and great catch. Maclin made other good catches during the scrimmage. And by "good" I mean he made the catches that he was supposed to make. Like last year, there were a lot of drops out there by many of the players. But Lyles (#13), Johnson (#19), and Rocquemore (#81) did well, and even Kautai (TE #46) had a good catch. He looks like a load BTW.

All the healthy RBs looked good. Jackson (#21), Johnson (#23), Ragsdale (#25) and Adeyi (#39) had the long runs. Adeyi had the longest of the day. 

But about half way through the scrimmage they started giving a couple of newcomers some "reps". Preston Landis (#40 from Rockwall Heath) and Quincy Kemp (#38 from Pilot Point). Landis was pretty impressive. I don't think I saw him lose any yardage on any of his carries, and scored at least two TD's on goal line situations. Lest you think he is a "battering ram" type runner, he ripped off a pretty impressive 10+ yard run that included some pretty good moves. Quincy Kemp was very quick and he used his blockers well in a couple of his runs. He got the ball thrown to him a few times, and he did well on those plays. Now, this spring might be the last time that anyone sees these players, but in the case of Mr. Landis, I'm not so sure. However,  I've been wrong before.

Anyway, whilst sharing observations with the parents of the aforementioned starter, the mother and I decided that Stone Earle was the QB that we favored the most.  We liked the way he ran things....especially his decisiveness and confidence.

I much appreciate the observations!  This kind of post is what makes this board worthwhile.  Definitely worth its own thread, IMO.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Gee, you think?

I was in attendance. I sat next to the parents of a starter on the team. We compared observations during the scrimmage......mostly about the QB's. 

Keep in mind that "sacks" are called/credited when the QB is touched or his shirt is grabbed...... some plains Indian tribes used to call it "counting coup".   Now, each of these in a real game situation could have resulted in a real sack.  But, on more than a couple of occasions, it looked to me like the QB could have escaped and gotten some yards running. Suffice it to say that the defense (as is usually the case in the spring/fall practices) was ahead of the offence. And the defense (aggression-wise) is not missing the Murphy Brothers. 

One incident illustrates my point. Toward the end of the scrimmage, and after a field goal try, a fight broke out between a Defensive player and a O-Lineman. Nothing too unusual about that, except that this was not chest bumping and chicken fighting.......it was fast and furious. The momentum of the fight quickly took the participants about 20+ yards downfield before it was finally stopped and broken up. And it took all of the refs, coaches and many players to do it. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Defensively, I saw 59 around the ball a lot....including knocking down a couple of passes. He was also one of the last players walking away from the area of the fight.  #99 (Enoch Jackson) had a couple of behind the line of scrimmage stops on RB's. After that, the running game did reasonably well. The DB's were for the most part, all over the receivers. Which resulted in several flags being thrown on them. But at least they were not getting beat.

But the star of the day on Defense was #93 on your program, Roderick Brown. As the scrimmage progressed, he got more and more difficult to block. Especially on passing downs.  He "counted coup" around three times in the scrimmage. If this continues through out the fall, then around mid-season someone is going to make the "Booger" comparison.

QB's were.......well.....OK for the first scrimmage. Aune got most of the reps for about the first 1/3rd of the scrimmage. After that, it was Ruder, Earl, and Head in that order. Aune was, well....Aune. Some reasonably good throws, and some bad ones. Ruder got off a pretty good pass to Lyles (#13), but he was also hot and cold. He got off one long run, but that was about his longest play. Both Head and Earl (IMHO) looked better than Ruder. They both have pretty strong arms, but I think that Earle's is a bit stronger. A lot of the "bad passes" that BV made reference to were overthrows of long pass plays. Earle threw a couple of those, but he also made what I consider the best throw of the day. He was running to his left when he fired a sideline pass to Maclin (#9, the transfer from Missouri). Maclin was wearing a DB and going down when the pass hit him in the ol' bread basket. Great throw and great catch. Maclin made other good catches during the scrimmage. And by "good" I mean he made the catches that he was supposed to make. Like last year, there were a lot of drops out there by many of the players. But Lyles (#13), Johnson (#19), and Rocquemore (#81) did well, and even Kautai (TE #46) had a good catch. He looks like a load BTW.

All the healthy RBs looked good. Jackson (#21), Johnson (#23), Ragsdale (#25) and Adeyi (#39) had the long runs. Adeyi had the longest of the day. 

But about half way through the scrimmage they started giving a couple of newcomers some "reps". Preston Landis (#40 from Rockwall Heath) and Quincy Kemp (#38 from Pilot Point). Landis was pretty impressive. I don't think I saw him lose any yardage on any of his carries, and scored at least two TD's on goal line situations. Lest you think he is a "battering ram" type runner, he ripped off a pretty impressive 10+ yard run that included some pretty good moves. Quincy Kemp was very quick and he used his blockers well in a couple of his runs. He got the ball thrown to him a few times, and he did well on those plays. Now, this spring might be the last time that anyone sees these players, but in the case of Mr. Landis, I'm not so sure. However,  I've been wrong before.

Anyway, whilst sharing observations with the parents of the aforementioned starter, the mother and I decided that Stone Earle was the QB that we favored the most.  We liked the way he ran things....especially his decisiveness and confidence.

Here's to hoping we finally found our guy after a couple of years of searching

• Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

God forbid our 1 faithful beat reporter should earn a living.

Toss a coin to your Vito

Sounds like Old Denton.   Just say NO to SPAM on a fan message board! 

If NT is to continue to rise Athletically, it will need a few more things:

a new Football coach, more beat reporters, more radio stations, 10,000 more fans on average for Football, 3,000 more for men's Basketball, better marketing on campus and off, Baseball, and that's just in the next couple years...

Edited by NT80
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2