DRC breaking news -- UNT loses Detraveon Brown to torn ACL

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You really think any strength and conditioning coaches can stop this type of injury?

No, but how many times have we had an impactful player be lost for the season under the staff? Seems like it happens every year, at different positions. Tearing an ACL can be a freak accident but lets not kid ourselves that S&C doesn't have an impact on injury rates. 

Womack has been here since the beginning, and it hasn't been good.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

No, but how many times have we had an impactful player be lost for the season under the staff? Seems like it happens every year, at different positions. Tearing an ACL can be a freak accident but lets not kid ourselves that S&C doesn't have an impact on injury rates. 

Womack has been here since the beginning, and it hasn't been good.

Show me the football team that does not have injuries.   Obviously, you can't.  

There is no way that you can compare S&C staffs based on injuries.

I have no idea whether the NT strength and conditioning staff is better or worse than the norm.  If you have a magic formula for this determination, please share.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:51 PM, GrandGreen said:

You really think any strength and conditioning coaches can stop this type of injury?

They can help avoid major injuries. It's in their job responsibilities. 

21 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

There is no way that you can compare S&C staffs based on injuries.

Yes, you sure as hell can. Their job is to have the players physically prepared for their sport. Injuries can be attributed to a number of things, poor physical training is Among those. We have no idea if that is the case in this instance, but you have to look at the overall performance of the S&C coaches.

9 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Could this injury not be repaired and rehabbed in time for kick off in September ?

It's possible. As someone who tore his ACL on duty, it will all depend on his body, overall health, quality of health care, and how good his physical therapist is.  Being an athlete at a major university, his doctos and therapists will be top notch. 

• Eye Roll 1

If you can't judge a strength and conditioning coach based on injuries, then explain 2013 when we played our home games in the 7th circle of hell, with few injuries, and were able to wear down our opponents. We all lauded our amazing S&C coach. The year he went to BYU, we started suffering a plethora of major injuries. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Rudy said:

If you can't judge a strength and conditioning coach based on injuries, then explain 2013 when we played our home games in the 7th circle of hell, with few injuries, and were able to wear down our opponents. We all lauded our amazing S&C coach. The year he went to BYU, we started suffering a plethora of major injuries. 

Odell Beckham Jr. is a prime example of how random an ACL injury can occur.

• Upvote 2

It’s ridiculous to blame the S&C staff on this type of injury because you could be the best athlete in the world and still have this happen. Saquan Barkley isn’t the best in the world, but he’s super strong and in shape, yet he had a freak ACL injury.

BUT it is a glaring hole in this program that we have been typically small and weaker compared to other opponents and especially CUSA opponents like UAB. The little injuries and cramps, you would think, is on the S&C staff. We are always getting burned in the secondary, and getting outraced so many times it’s just ridiculous.

So yes the S&C is a major problem here, but you really can’t blame the staff for this. It’s almost impossible.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s ridiculous to blame the S&C staff on this type of injury because you could be the best athlete in the world and still have this happen. Saquan Barkley isn’t the best in the world, but he’s super strong and in shape, yet he had a freak ACL injury.

BUT it is a glaring hole in this program that we have been typically small and weaker compared to other opponents and especially CUSA opponents like UAB. The little injuries and cramps, you would think, is on the S&C staff. We are always getting burned in the secondary, and getting outraced so many times it’s just ridiculous.

So yes the S&C is a major problem here, but you really can’t blame the staff for this. It’s almost impossible.

Great so I want to get a new career in S&C now because according to you there is no accountability, or measurement of the job.  I can just hang out and tell they guys not to eat hamburgers and do a few jumping jacks!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry Brian, but I don't think you can hold the S&C coach responsible for an ACL injury.

What causes a torn ACL?

What causes ACL tear? An ACL injury often occurs during sports. The injury can happen when your foot is firmly planted on the ground and a sudden force hits your knee while your leg is straight or slightly bent. This can happen when you are changing direction rapidly, slowing down when running, or landing from a jump.

Hmmm, sounds like they should call it "the WR injury".  Leaping high to catch a pass and/or leaping high to catch a pass and getting entangled with the DB sounds like the perfect situation to get a torn ACL. To me, we are lucky that our WR's and DB's don't tear them more often.  

To me, the job of the S&C coach is to help a WR have more strength so that they can jump higher. Or have more speed so that when they have collisions, it can be harder on the joints. Just basic physics. 

I see the job description of the S&C coach as getting a player be faster, be stronger, and have more stamina. 

You want to teach WR's and RB's how to land on their feet safely after leaping high for a ball?  Hire a Ballet instructor.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Great so I want to get a new career in S&C now because according to you there is no accountability, or measurement of the job.  I can just hang out and tell they guys not to eat hamburgers and do a few jumping jacks!

The Big Leap" on Make a GIF