Denton Shirt

24 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Looks old Denton to me.  I'll pass.

Old Denton would be shy to wear anything celebrating sportsball.

Someone's unofficial love of Mean Green football.  Possibly wrong shade of green. Yet, somehow, endearing to me.  Very Denton, and I think it's great.

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 2

23 hours ago, NT80 said:

Agree.   Denton was a huge part of my life, but we are NOT The University of Denton!   

Maybe not, but we should do anything/everything to be Denton’s university.

And before anyone says it, no we have NOT made a serious effort at doing this in the recent past.  I can’t speak to the Fry era, but in the 43 years I have been alive (and grew up in Denton) the North Texas approach to engagement has been “we’re here, show up if you’d like.”

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

It’s a line called college towns. There are quite a few others. I like it. 🤷🏽‍♂️
https://www.super70ssportsstore.com/collections/college-towns

D3D4CEFD-6F02-4CAC-ADC4-7679C4C94A89.png

This board only likes plain green shirts with “UNT” across the chest. Anything else is blasphemy. Many threw a fit about the throwback shirts that Voertmans made. I’m sure it pains them to see the athletic department liked them so much they ordered more and got them out to players and staff. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I’ve got an admittedly odd opinion on this.  As a stand alone shirt I don’t really care for it, but as part of a line that has most colleges I like it.  I’d like for the helmets to have the logo instead of being a generic helmet, but I’m sure that’s a licensing issue.  The Notre Dame and Penn State are pretty cool since the helmet is what they wear.  Additionally, South Bend and State College are iconic college town names.

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This board only likes plain green shirts with “UNT” across the chest. Anything else is blasphemy. Many threw a fit about the throwback shirts that Voertmans made. I’m sure it pains them to see the athletic department liked them so much they ordered more and got them out to players and staff. 

I like my UNT shirts, too. This one’s a bit different, but I also like it. I just need to find it in black. 😜

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’ve got an admittedly odd opinion on this.  As a stand alone shirt I don’t really care for it, but as part of a line that has most colleges I like it.  I’d like for the helmets to have the logo instead of being a generic helmet, but I’m sure that’s a licensing issue.  The Notre Dame and Penn State are pretty cool since the helmet is what they wear.  Additionally, South Bend and State College are iconic college town names.

Yeah, the logo would be a nice touch. The Rangers had an “Arlington” shirt a few years back that was pretty sweet.   Having a university also associated with a city isn’t a bad thing. College Station, Austin, Norman, Fayetteville, etc are college towns. Own it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

And before anyone says it, no we have NOT made a serious effort at doing this in the recent past.  I can’t speak to the Fry era, but in the 43 years I have been alive (and grew up in Denton) the North Texas approach to engagement has been “we’re here, show up if you’d like.”

Denton has always been a divided college town because of TWU.  Some businesses back in the 70's era declined to show support for NT Athletics saying they didn't want to hurt TWU student's feelings.  For real.  The easy solution back then, and still today, was actually considered several times even at the State level was to merge TWU into UNT, a larger, better single University with east and west campuses.  Why duplicate two State Universities, 6 miles apart?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Why duplicate two State Universities, 6 miles apart?

Look at UH and TSU - they're right next to each other.  But they'll never merge, not even as two separate universities in the same system.  Similar to NT and TWU.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

Denton has always been a divided college town because of TWU.  Some businesses back in the 70's era declined to show support for NT Athletics saying they didn't want to hurt TWU student's feelings.  For real.  The easy solution back then, and still today, was actually considered several times even at the State level was to merge TWU into UNT, a larger, better single University with east and west campuses.  Why duplicate two State Universities, 6 miles apart?

You are absolutely right, the merger makes so much sense.  I have heard that it is to protect the woman’s right to have a primarily female institution.  My thinking is it is the administrators and the board of TWU that keeps it going.  They know in a merger many of their jobs will become duplicative.  I think the Governor has the ability to make things like this happen but who wants the political liability.

one thing that may help move by change is schools like University of Phoenix offering a 1 year remote Masters degree.  I sense post Covid that there will be many who start to look at the fastest and cheapest way to get the piece of paper or even pursue more trade schools.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I can. Fry reached out to the Denton Community, and as many of the small communities that he could.  He would speak to any and all local organizations (civic or otherwise). I believe it was the Star-Telegram's Gaylon Wilkins who, after Hayden Fry was hired, described him as "dancing through the streets of Denton like Robert Preston in the Music Man".  I worked for the University on a moving truck from 72-73.  I remember one time we were sent to help one of those Hayden Fry promotions in Sanger. We set up one of those long flatbed trailers so that a pep band and cheerleaders could put on an "impromptu pep rally"  on their square. When they finished, the cheerleaders went around to all the businesses and asked if they could put up schedule posters and applications for season tickets. The main message Hayden Fry sent? "WE WANT TO BE YOUR UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL TEAM". 

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

My wife is a 1970 graduate of TWU. She lived on campus all the time she attended school there, and she was the editor of their school paper one semester. Every time she hears this "TWU will be offended" excuse by merchants she always responds the same way "that's total BS!". TWU doesn't play football, so why in hell would TWU be offended by local merchants having football season schedules in their windows and applications for season tickets on their counters? 

You are absolutely right, the merger makes so much sense.  I have heard that it is to protect the woman’s right to have a primarily female institution. 

This was once true, just like Texas A&M was once an all male state University. It's not true for either of them anymore. If TWU represents duplication of services, then why do they have an undergraduate student population of 10.5K, and a graduate population of 5K? TWU obviously offers something more academically attractive than North Texas.  They, like us, have been around for over 100 years and  have a proud history. They are passionate about their school at a level that I've never seen at North Texas.  TWU is in NO WAY responsible for the apathetic culture of North Texas athletics........WE ARE.

If we want to do something, we could invite the TWU student body to come to football games, sit in their own section,  and show us how to be passionate fans.  Also, TWU has a music education program. How about inviting them to join the Green Brigade and wear their own unique uniforms. Or put together their own pep band to augment the GB during home games. 

• Upvote 4

To what @SilverEagle says is another area where Littrell hurts this program.  He has no presence in Denton.  I would bet the average Denton business or organization couldn’t pick him out of a lineup.  He is so quiet we get no off-season attention whatsoever.  Think of what could be done if we had a leader in the role.  My wife works for DISD, why has there been no effort to align with the teachers in one of the fastest growing districts in the state?  Meanwhile you have the used car salesman down in San Antonio is shaking hands and kissing babies!

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Thanks 1