Mardrez McBride Enters Portal

BillySee58

22 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So, back-to-back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals appearances and two titles in his first excursion away from Cleveland, and another title the second time he left, is what you’re resting your argument on?  

Seriously man, do you just hand the keyboard to a monkey with a learning disability and say “Have at it!”??

Perhaps your miss reading the room here… nobody in Cleveland cared what he did when he left. They cursed him and burned his jersey. Now obviously when he returned he attempted and succeeded in setting things straight by winning a championship with them. Either way once he left he was dead to them. People wanted him to tear his ACL and end his career. Nobody is going to go that far here but I like careless what McBride does if he leaves. He can go ride the bench on a losing team. No interesting in applauding anyone for turning their back on a team that gave them success. This is extremely common. Again this is gomeangreen…. I don’t see a single players name up there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So, back-to-back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals appearances and two titles in his first excursion away from Cleveland, and another title the second time he left, is what you’re resting your argument on?  

Seriously man, do you just hand the keyboard to a monkey with a learning disability and say “Have at it!”??

Yeah, but the Heat did that despite Lebron.  He was on the bench the whole time.  

You can’t see the connection there?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

UNT didn't give him success. It gave him an opportunity to be successful. He took that opportunity, was successful, and as a result helped UNT be successful. Without its players, coaches, and other staff, UNT basketball is nothing but an idea. Let's not downplay how important these guys are to the memories we've made cheering them on. Take out McBride and his 16 points vs Purdue and we may still be winless in the big dance, if we would have even made it that far.

Exactly…. And now he wants to leave. Just like Reese. No need to cheer for him or any success. He quit on the team. He can ride the bench. Y’all act like I’m one of those people wishing guys that are disloyal get injured. There are plenty of people out there wishing that. That’s not me, but I also don’t have to cheer him on or wish him success. Jordan Williams stayed Loyal, Josh White stayed loyal, Chris Davis stayed loyal. Plenty of players worth cheering once they move on. No issue with Zach or Javion taking a chance at the next level. Just like Tony Mitchel. I can cheer on guys who were cut by the coach (which I don’t agree with as well). See Jackson. Only player I have ever been up in the air with was Chris Jones because I know he and Benford had some issue and they did try to work it out but it wasn’t happening on either end. 

Again (since clearly a few people had a issue reading my comment). I don’t have to cheer on McrBride. I have no reason to root for him to start or see the post season again. He isn’t on my team. I am a UNT fan. Not a player fan. I love this game and I love my university. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I don’t have to cheer on McrBride. I have no reason to root for him to start or see the post season again. He isn’t on my team. I am a UNT fan. Not a player fan. I love this game and I love my university. 

you don't have to cheer him on.  You also don't have to root against him, which is what your original post is saying.

Is loyalty an obligation or a courtesy?  Both have value, but suggest different things.  Is @Andrew one of those people that yells at the person in front of him who doesn't hold the door open for him?

Does it bother you that, by definition, McBride will always be an alumnus?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

46 minutes ago, greenminer said:

you don't have to cheer him on.  You also don't have to root against him, which is what your original post is saying.

Is loyalty an obligation or a courtesy?  Both have value, but suggest different things.  Is @Andrew one of those people that yells at the person in front of him who doesn't hold the door open for him?

I am not naive and I get this stuff happens at programs much bigger than ours. With that in mind, I respectfully tend to agree with Andrew on this.  Let just stop pretending that we are so damn happy a great player is choosing  to leave us the team that believed in him so much and gave  him his shot when many others didn’t.  Please stop normalizing the hurtful effects of the portal.  It’s very disingenuous.  And you come across as very insincere.  It’s a bad look and it just makes it easier for the next guy to bail.

Edited by meangreenfaninno
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I am not naive and I get this stuff happens at programs much bigger than ours. With that in mind, I respectfully tend to agree with Andrew on this.  Let just stop pretending that we are so damn happy a great player is choosing  to leave us the team that believed in him so much and gave  him his shot when many others didn’t.  Please stop normalizing the hurtful effects of the portal.  It’s very disingenuous.  And you come across as very insincere.  It’s a bad look and it just makes it easier for the next guy to bail.

No one is pretending they are happy Mcbride is leaving. We are all unhappy that he's leaving. Just some people have more class than others. You would think regardless of Mcbride taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility and transferring elsewhere that we would still celebrate his accomplishments here and wish A UNT Alum good luck in his respective career.     

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I’m not sure I considered it rooting against him though I suppose it can be taken that way. Not rooting for him is like rooting against him. I would prefer he doesn’t have the success he had here and the team he chooses doesn’t go dancing (especially over UNT). I don’t tell anyone. Though I hope people hold doors for others. 🙂 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Friendly reminder that all this back and forth was started by @Andrew saying McBride is not good enough to start or contribute anywhere

I said he is going to ride the bench at most of those places posted. Yes I said that.  He very well may come off the bench. Not sure where I said he wouldn’t contribute; although he left UNT so if he doesn’t that’s fine. I don’t believe it’s hard to understand. He was successful here and helped us to potentially the best season we have ever had. Now it looks like he is leaving. There isn’t any interest in what he does now. He can start or sit on the bench. It doesn’t affect anyone here because we are fans of North Texas. Hopefully we can find our next McBride who stays and had a long and successful career here. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

I'm more of a "once a member of the Mean Green Family, always a member of the Mean Green Family" guy.  So, that means wishing those that leave good luck and being happy when they do well.  

Now, there are ways to depart.  To use a military analogy, it can be an honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge, so it's not an absolute.  Leave with honor and represent the "family" in a way that makes us proud and it's all good.  Go the other way and, well......   

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

25 minutes ago, keith said:

I'm more of a "once a member of the Mean Green Family, always a member of the Mean Green Family" guy.  So, that means wishing those that leave good luck and being happy when they do well.  

Now, there are ways to depart.  To use a military analogy, it can be an honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge, so it's not an absolute.  Leave with honor and represent the "family" in a way that makes us proud and it's all good.  Go the other way and, well......   

Yeah.    Huge difference between Mardrez & dudes like Jacob Ferrell.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I look at it more like Brammer vs the Murphys. Brammer put in his 4 years and left because of a free year he never expected to get. The Murphs felt they were too big for our program. I’d put McBride in the Brammer category. Best of luck to him.

I don't understand this pass.   
Did the guy have another year of eligibility to play at North Texas?  
If so, and he chose not to, he doesn't get any extra kudos from me.  He left just like the Murphys and McBride did... and likely for the same exact reason:  Opportunity to play at the P5 level.  To me, there's no difference.  Best of luck to them all.   Glad they spent time here and contributed!

Now dudes like Darvin Kidsey, Jacob Ferrell, Deonte Simpson...  those guys can kick rocks.  Those are the guys I would think would qualify as "dishonorably discharged", or kicked out for doing something wrong, as @keith was saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't understand this pass.   
Did the guy have another year of eligibility to play at North Texas?  
If so, and he chose not to, he doesn't get any extra kudos from me.  He left just like the Murphys and McBride did... and likely for the same exact reason:  Opportunity to play at the P5 level.  To me, there's no difference.  Best of luck to them all.   Glad they spent time here and contributed!

Now dudes like Darvin Kidsey, Jacob Ferrell, Deonte Simpson...  those guys can kick rocks.  Those are the guys I would think would qualify as "dishonorably discharged", or kicked out for doing something wrong, as @keith was saying.

there is a huge difference, COVID gave these guys an extra year they would not have gotten, Reese and McBride graduated, Murphy's just ran off to what they assume is greener pastures, that is a huge difference for opinion. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This post was created March 25.  Almost 3 weeks ago (today is April 13).  Drez stated “his phone has been ringing a lot” but still no word of an offer.  Could he have misunderstood how transferable he really is.  And at what point does he try to return to the team, if ever.

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

"The remaining priorities in the transfer portal for the Bulldogs include adding multiple backcourt players along with another frontcourt player. Among the top targets mentioned in the backcourt include transfers Mardrez McBride (North Texas), Xavier Pinson (LSU),Souley Boum (UTEP) and Tyree Appleby (Florida)."

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-basketball-Chris-Jans-186441970/

• Eye Roll 1