Mardrez McBride Enters Portal

BillySee58

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I admire the green kool-aid diet. Respectfully, those 2 programs have a higher ceiling in terms of media attention simply because of the conferences they play in. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is. Georgia had the number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft just 2 years ago and number 8 pick just 9 years ago. They went 16-16 and 15-17 those two seasons, respectively. They didn't need to win to be noticed.

Now, Penn State, sure. We're on the same page. I still can't fault a guy for thinking he's more likely to go pro coming out of the Big 10 than 2022 C-USA. It's not about Penn State, it's about playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and so on all year. More eyeballs.

People seem to have missed Iowa St winning two games last season, and then making a deep turney run this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I admire the green kool-aid diet. Respectfully, those 2 programs have a higher ceiling in terms of media attention simply because of the conferences they play in. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is. Georgia had the number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft just 2 years ago and number 8 pick just 9 years ago. They went 16-16 and 15-17 those two seasons, respectively. They didn't need to win to be noticed.

Now, Penn State, sure. We're on the same page. I still can't fault a guy for thinking he's more likely to go pro coming out of the Big 10 than 2022 C-USA. It's not about Penn State, it's about playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and so on all year. More eyeballs.

I could understand Drez heading to Georgia being he is from Augusta, but Penn State and the other schools didn't make much sense to me.  He has one year, and while Georgia could make a big turn around like Iowa St this year, they could also flounder a year under a new coach.

I understand the SEC and Big 10 garner more attention as a conference, but Mac's turn around of our program hasn't gone unnoticed on the national scene either.  The problem is with CUSA being a one bid league, which I thought was bad this year.  I think we could have garnered an at large bid had we not lost in the manner that we lost to UTEP and LA Tech.

I really wish Drez the best and hope he is making the right decision for him.  

• Puking Eagle 1

46 minutes ago, denton_days said:

People seem to have missed Iowa St winning two games last season, and then making a deep turney run this year. 

Yeah it's just the reality of power conference teams, especially in basketball with early-entry draftees being more common. Auburn will likely be down next year and somebody else in the SEC will find success at their expense. As we see every year, all it takes is getting in the tourney and it's easier to do that in a power conference. I hope one day it's not that way, but for now, that's how it is.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I could understand Drez heading to Georgia being he is from Augusta, but Penn State and the other schools didn't make much sense to me.  He has one year, and while Georgia could make a big turn around like Iowa St this year, they could also flounder a year under a new coach.

I understand the SEC and Big 10 garner more attention as a conference, but Mac's turn around of our program hasn't gone unnoticed on the national scene either.  The problem is with CUSA being a one bid league, which I thought was bad this year.  I think we could have garnered an at large bid had we not lost in the manner that we lost to UTEP and LA Tech.

I really wish Drez the best and hope he is making the right decision for him.  

They don't make sense to me either but everybody's situation and aspirations are different. He could have said something as simple as wanting to experience something new and going on a new adventure and I would have understood. It's his last year to play college basketball and I don't blame him for wanting to take full advantage of the opportunity to try a new school, new city, new relationships, and so on. I wish him the best as well. My hope is when (not if) he finds success, that remembers his time at UNT positively and finds ways to credit his success with his time in Denton. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Are coaches or admin connected in anyway?

President Smatresk grew up in the Buffalo area, and went to U of Buffalo for his Master's degree, but I'm sure that's not the connection you're looking for.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Answering my own question: Hamlet and Reese transferred from there. Is there some connection between us and Buffalo other than players? Are coaches or admin connected in anyway?

Buffalo is familiar with his game having played us this year.  If Drez doesn't pick GA, close to home, Wake Forest (ACC), or WVU, then I would hope he would stay here.  I don't see Penn St or Buffalo being ahead of us or providing a better opportunity at getting noticed.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Answering my own question: Hamlet and Reese transferred from there. Is there some connection between us and Buffalo other than players? Are coaches or admin connected in anyway?

They met at Buffalo. Hamlet was signed out of Northwest Florida State College (JUCO) and Reese was signed out of Odessa College (JUCO). 

Hamlet mentioned on a podcast that he stayed in touch with Reese and they had essentially agreed to be a package deal, wherever they could go together. So that seemed more to do with them individually than any sort of administrative connection.

As for McBride, we obviously played Buffalo and he did pretty well that game. Pretty reasonable deduction why they’d recruit him there. 

I think it’s more coincidental/circumstantial than some type of coach/admin connection.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Going to ride the bench at most of those…. But ok…. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Gonna go ahead and guess you have zero actual insight into those rosters and can’t actually give detail on who is going to relegate McBride to riding the bench.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Gonna go ahead and guess you have zero actual insight into those rosters and can’t actually give detail on who is going to relegate McBride to riding the bench.

I guess I forgot this this was go(fill in ex player here).com and not gomeangreen.com. Guess I was on the wrong website… 🙃

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

I guess I forgot this this was go(fill in ex player here).com and not gomeangreen.com. Guess I was on the wrong website… 🙃

So I was right that you have zero insight on the situation you are commenting on and making bold assertions regarding. BUT, I have now learned, it’s because this is gomeangreen, where one shouldn’t have knowledge on rosters outside of our own or discuss ex players. Even though you are the one who did so in making the claim he would ride the bench at other schools.

Now we’re on the same page!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

If they play well enough to make UNT a top 50 team, the idea they are somehow not good enough to contribute to another top 50 team does not make sense.

When you say stuff like that it looks like you have a diminished view of UNT for no reason that simply isn’t true. Get on board with how well this program and the players are developing/performing.

• Upvote 4

On 4/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, MeanMag said:

there's a Buffalo Wild Wings on 288...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

They met at Buffalo. Hamlet was signed out of Northwest Florida State College (JUCO) and Reese was signed out of Odessa College (JUCO). 

Hamlet mentioned on a podcast that he stayed in touch with Reese and they had essentially agreed to be a package deal, wherever they could go together. So that seemed more to do with them individually than any sort of administrative connection.

As for McBride, we obviously played Buffalo and he did pretty well that game. Pretty reasonable deduction why they’d recruit him there. 

I think it’s more coincidental/circumstantial than some type of coach/admin connection.

Have we signed a P5 transfer since Mc has been at UNT?

10 hours ago, MeanMag said:

If they play well enough to make UNT a top 50 team, the idea they are somehow not good enough to contribute to another top 50 team does not make sense.

When you say stuff like that it looks like you have a diminished view of UNT for no reason that simply isn’t true. Get on board with how well this program and the players are developing/performing.

I would reference when athletes leave their respective teams for “greener pastures”. Simply see Lebron leaving Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I would reference when athletes leave their respective teams for “greener pastures”. Simply see Lebron leaving Cleveland. 

So, back-to-back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals appearances and two titles in his first excursion away from Cleveland, and another title the second time he left, is what you’re resting your argument on?  

Seriously man, do you just hand the keyboard to a monkey with a learning disability and say “Have at it!”??

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1