Mardrez McBride Enters Portal

BillySee58

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yea. That’s why I said what I said at the end. It is tough because loyalty goes both ways and coaches bump players out all the time. I have a difficult time either way. Going to have to get use to this new transfer rule. Maybe I’m old school but give me a Dirk or a Duncan. I want that guy who stays till he rides off into the sun set. Not the Malone on the Lakers or the Ewing on the Magic destroying their legacies. 

Fair enough. I love me some Dirk, Duncan, Kobe, etc... at the same time, those are guys involved in a 15-20 year career getting paid life changing money for it. It's tough for me in the pro realm because often times, those guys are already making millions per year. In college, it's only 4 to 5 years with no life-changing contracts involved. My expectations between the two are immensely different.

• Upvote 3

I don't doubt what Coach and the team can do but the prospects of going to the tournament are so small with only one bid . With UAB and MTSU looking real tough next year, I am guessing he also wants to go back to the tournament and would be hoping for an SEC school with a good chance.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

I don't doubt what Coach and the team can do but the prospects of going to the tournament are so small with only one bid . With UAB and MTSU looking real tough next year, I am guessing he also wants to go back to the tournament and would be hoping for an SEC school with a good chance.  

He such a great player he will have his choice of every blue blood in the country.  I see him similar to Ryan in that regard.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

He such a great player he will have his choice of every blue blood in the country.  I see him similar to Ryan in that regard.

He will get some good offers, but i doubt he will be anywhere close to getting his choice of the top programs in the land. 

Woolridge was a unique talent, McBride is in my view the third best player at NT.  

He will fill a need for teams that wants a great outside 3 threat with only one year to play.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen said:

There’s absolutely no reason CUSA has to be a one bid league next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

What an important and probably underrated part of the story that is this program's revitalization. McBride, Bell, and Murray returning to Denton was so key. They didn't only stabilize the squad with rotation continuity but they led the new team into a force that I certainly didn't see coming. This season proved that last year wasn't a flash in the pan and McBride was critical to that.

As with Reese, Gibson, and Woolridge before, I'll be tracking his next step and rooting for his success. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Big Z said:

UGA, I get it.   
PSU, sure...  Playing a B1G schedule would be fun!
Cincy, always a threat to win the AAC and make the tourney.
If he leaves us to go to Buffalo, I'd be extremely let down.  Hopefully we're still recruiting him too!

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

he is graduating, so why not use the extra COVID year to play somewhere and start graduate degree

4 minutes ago, untbowler said:

he is graduating, so why not use the extra COVID year to play somewhere and start graduate degree

It's in the article. He wants to play pro ball and wants to go somewhere he can play immediately that can help him do that. Not sure Buffalo meets that criteria but I guess I can understand Cincinnati, Georgia, and Penn State. They just have bigger platforms. I feel the scouts will find you no matter where you play but I can't fault him for trying his all to go pro. Last chance to chase his dreams.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's in the article. He wants to play pro ball and wants to go somewhere he can play immediately that can help him do that. Not sure Buffalo meets that criteria but I guess I can understand Cincinnati, Georgia, and Penn State. They just have bigger platforms. I feel the scouts will find you no matter where you play but I can't fault him for trying his all to go pro. Last chance to chase his dreams.

Georgia - SEC bottom with all new coaches

Penn State - Bottom of the barrel Big 10 basketball 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My view won't reflect the bigger picture here.  How big is the SEC fanbase compared to CUSA fanbase? The B1G fanbase?

UGA and Penn St basketball fanbases are not large. Should the team take a turn, sure, they'll catch more on the wagon.

4 hours ago, Big Z said:

Georgia - SEC bottom with all new coaches

Penn State - Bottom of the barrel Big 10 basketball 

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How often did you hear about either of those programs this year?

I admire the green kool-aid diet. Respectfully, those 2 programs have a higher ceiling in terms of media attention simply because of the conferences they play in. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is. Georgia had the number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft just 2 years ago and number 8 pick just 9 years ago. They went 16-16 and 15-17 those two seasons, respectively. They didn't need to win to be noticed.

Now, Penn State, sure. We're on the same page. I still can't fault a guy for thinking he's more likely to go pro coming out of the Big 10 than 2022 C-USA. It's not about Penn State, it's about playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and so on all year. More eyeballs.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3