Mardrez McBride Enters Portal

BillySee58

I like him, but we need to add a 2 that has size and is physical enough to drive to the hoop in traffic. As we have seen charging is a 50/50 call. Would also like to see a big body 4 that can post with a mid range jumper.   A serviceable center would be great. I hope we hit the transfer portal hard. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Would you feel this same way if, say, you found out this was a move to be closer to a family member undergoing heart surgery?

Go graduate and find a job. The COVID year and this new easy to transfer rule are a make or break for many teams now. We may benefit from someone else’s lose which is fine I suppose, but I wish there was more loyalty. We don’t praise people leaving their spouses or walking out on their kids or quitting their jobs. Seems it’s easier and easier to just back track a commitment. It does go both ways with teams and coaches showing loyalty to players as well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 6

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Go graduate and find a job. The COVID year and this new easy to transfer rule are a make or break for many teams now. We may benefit from someone else’s lose which is fine I suppose, but I wish there was more loyalty. We don’t praise people leaving their spouses or walking out on their kids or quitting their jobs. Seems it’s easier and easier to just back track a commitment. It does go both ways with teams and coaches showing loyalty to players as well. 

Your marriage and your kids are supposed to be for life. Your job? Guess it depends if you quit to stay home or quit for a better opportunity. I've actually never heard of people being put down for leaving a job for a better opportunity, especially in Texas which is an at-will state. College basketball is only for 4-5 years. I'm all for him making the most of those few years. If a program can pull a scholarship, a player should be allowed to leave. This isn't a 20 year commitment he's backing out of. It's 4-5 years... after that, it's likely over for his basketball career unless he goes over-seas and even then, the NCAA tournament is the peak for many of these guys.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

Drez was great. Such a smooth shooter and played hard on defense. I loved watching him.

Kinda ruins his legacy by transferring. 
I understand a kid transferring if the team sucks or if he isn’t getting to play. 

But Drez played a big role on winning teams in front of some decent crowds. Why transfer?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Drez got to be an impact player on a great team in a great season.he deserves to get closer to home and play his last season somewhere else. Grant has proven that he can refill roster spots and have just as much success, so i will always root for him & others who decide to transfer!

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Your marriage and your kids are supposed to be for life. Your job? Guess it depends if you quit to stay home or quit for a better opportunity. I've actually never heard of people being put down for leaving a job for a better opportunity, especially in Texas which is an at-will state. College basketball is only for 4-5 years. I'm all for him making the most of those few years. If a program can pull a scholarship, a player should be allowed to leave. This isn't a 20 year commitment he's backing out of. It's 4-5 years... after that, it's likely over for his basketball career unless he goes over-seas and even then, the NCAA tournament is the peak for many of these guys.

Yea. That’s why I said what I said at the end. It is tough because loyalty goes both ways and coaches bump players out all the time. I have a difficult time either way. Going to have to get use to this new transfer rule. Maybe I’m old school but give me a Dirk or a Duncan. I want that guy who stays till he rides off into the sun set. Not the Malone on the Lakers or the Ewing on the Magic destroying their legacies. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1