Big 12 to expand again?

Tom McKrackin

Mike Gundy said this to The Oklahomanon Tuesday:

“We could be at 14 very easily, five years from now, from what I’m hearing."

Oh?

“I think there’s strength in numbers. When you watch this thing, the Big 12 always had some issues, because people would say, there’s only 10 (members).” 

Former Oklahoma president David Boren said in 2015 the conference was "psychologically disadvantaged" as a 10-team league, and that perception never really went away. There's an argument to be made that less is more from a financial perspective, but with the SEC at 16, the Big Ten at 14, and the ACC at 14 (with Notre Dame as a partial member), the thinking is that the more rocks you have to throw at the college sports establishment, the better.

Link:  https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-gundy-thinks-big-12-isnt-done-expanding-realignment

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If any Conf needs to expand quickly it is the Pac 12.. They could add teams and get Central time zone schools. This will help a lot on their exposure. 

Yes, they could raid the Big12 to knock them down further when Ut, oU leave.   Pick 4 of BYU, Texas Tech, TCU, Ok St, Kansas, K-St to get to 16.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I really hope that they do not take Memphis and/or SMU to the Big 12 if they do expand - does not matter to me as much as related to football concerns, but I want Memphis/SMU to be part of the AAC for basketball reasons due to their ability to be consistently ranked opponents; this really helps with the NET rating and tournament selections. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

I really hope that they do not take Memphis and/or SMU to the Big 12 if they do expand - does not matter to me as much as related to football concerns, but I want Memphis/SMU to be part of the AAC for basketball reasons due to their ability to be consistently ranked opponents; this really helps with the NET rating and tournament selections. 

I'd imagine Memphis and Boise.

• Upvote 1

When The Big 12 lost 2 schools and added 4 there was noise that they were through for now but might revisit expansion in the future. My money is on Memphis and South Florida. The Bulls are building a state of the art indoor practice facility and plan to break ground on a campus football stadium soon. They would be a natural travel partner for USF and the Tampa Bay market, which dwarfs Boise, would be a great area for Big 12 recruiting.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, wardly said:

When The Big 12 lost 2 schools and added 4 there was noise that they were through for now but might revisit expansion in the future. My money is on Memphis and South Florida. The Bulls are building a state of the art indoor practice facility and plan to break ground on a campus football stadium soon. They would be a natural travel partner for USF and the Tampa Bay market, which dwarfs Boise, would be a great area for Big 12 recruiting.

I agree with Memphis, think they will be on the top of the list. I would think they will find a western school to pair with BYU. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, NT93 said:

I heard SMU is going to the Big 12.

As much as I hate to say it, if the Big 12 feels it still needs more bodies, how many "G5" schools are left that clearly come ahead of SMU?  Probably Memphis, maybe Boise, but who else?

I really think the Big 12 would be better served to stand pat with their recent additions, unless some school from another P5 conference shows interest.  But based on these comments, it doesn't sound like that's what they want to do.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

As much as I hate to say it, if the Big 12 feels it still needs more bodies, how many "G5" schools are left that clearly come ahead of SMU?  Probably Memphis, maybe Boise, but who else?

I really think the Big 12 would be better served to stand pat with their recent additions, unless some school from another P5 conference shows interest.  But based on these comments, it doesn't sound like that's what they want to do.

I'd wait, if there is no obvious choice.  Give it 3-5 years and see if this most recent shakeup causes some new, upward trajectories.

• Upvote 2

If we are able to prove ourselves in the American in the next few years and actually win in the major sports consistently, than I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe NT could be apart of the next phase of B12 expansion. We have already shown our financial commitment with Apogee, the indoor, the upcoming athletic center expansion, etc. The only thing that I think could impede a jump to the B12 would be Apogees capacity. 31,000 seats is just not enough for the next level. This is why I hope an expansion will at least be on the table in the next 2-3 years.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

If we are able to prove ourselves in the American in the next few years and actually win in the major sports consistently, than I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe NT could be apart of the next phase of B12 expansion. We have already shown our financial commitment with Apogee, the indoor, the upcoming athletic center expansion, etc. The only thing that I think could impede a jump to the B12 would be Apogees capacity. 31,000 seats is just not enough for the next level. This is why I hope an expansion will at least be on the table in the next 2-3 years.

220px-2018-0718-CUSA-SethLittrell.png

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Pissed 1

2 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

I agree with you.  It really is not that far removed from where we are now.  My only concern is that SMU may cause a roadblock.

5 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

I like the way you think. Im praying for success in major sports over the next 4-5 years. A couple of conference championships in football would be amazing and maybe a NY6 bowl. Am I delusional? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

And maybe we'd just have to have an expansion plan in place. Of course in general, college athletics' attendance is going down. In a few years, UNT will have a bigger arena than Baylor and would have an arena of equal or greater size than four teams in the new Big 12. And the three smallest football stadiums in the new Big 12 will be from the four new additions (Albeit, they all seat at least 40,000 and not 30,000..)

• Confused 1