SMU Coaching Candidates

Clinetort

13 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

Has anyone been able to find a list of potential SMU candidates?  It's unusual not to see lists out almost immediately.  I'm not convinced that SMU is still not trying to convince Grant to be their next coach.

Could it be coach that is still playing? Need to move or you run the risk of loosing some of your players in the transfer portal.  Mc is staying!! GMG 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Could it be coach that is still playing? Need to move or you run the risk of loosing some of your players in the transfer portal.  Mc is staying!! GMG 

Maybe.  But seriously, you usually see a list out immediately.  Three days in, and I can't find a list of potential replacements anywhere.  Would make me feel better if one was out there.  Something tells me that SMU has their guy, and that guy might be Grant.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

I dont think they were quite ready for Jank to leave... They had a good season, even beat Houston, but missed getting selected to the Big Dance, and everyone wanted to blame the coach.  They are coming off a 23 win season (usually you dont fire a coach for that), how much do they really want to change things? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

I dont think they were quite ready for Jank to leave... They had a good season, even beat Houston, but missed getting selected to the Big Dance, and everyone wanted to blame the coach.  They are coming off a 23 win season (usually you dont fire a coach for that), how much do they really want to change things? 

Jank is done.  Seems like it is about as official as you are gonna get.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Smut fans are perplexed at the lack of new BB Coach search progress, lol....

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91056&start=60

They would have never let McCasland go public if they didn't think it was in the bag.  Now they look bad and there aren't many options out there for them outside of Golden.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Wouldn't it be great if Golding turned them down as well.

I'm not sure this is a slam dunk agreement, either.

I've heard Billy G. and Floyd talked to him last year, asking him personally to see that this ship is righted.  Golding came to El Paso after 10 years at ACU.  I think there is an element of loyalty with Golding that could come into play, though tripling his salary would still be so hard to turn down.  

Also, I might have read it here on this board, his sister is married to Sonny Dykes.  Might mean nothing.  Might mean something.

Golding's current buyout is 1.5 mil.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

They would have never let McCasland go public if they didn't think it was in the bag.  Now they look bad and there aren't many options out there for them outside of Golden.

My point exactly.  That's why I think McCasland may indeed be in the SMU bag. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Bunch of delusional people on there. Gross. At least their 247 and On3 sites are more sane

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What makes you think SMU let it go public? Usually its agents that float this stuff out there hoping to get their clients more money. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

"Larry Brown signed on when we were headed to the Big East Conference. We were going to be playing Villanova, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, Providence, UCF, Houston, Rutgers, Cincy, SDSU, Boise, UCF, etc."

....what? Did I miss something?

• Haha 1