Postseason 3-PT Shooting

BillySee58

Now that we have had a few days to reflect on the season, I looked a little deeper at the shooting struggles we all saw. 

In postseason play we shot 30-99 (30.3%) from beyond the arc. Not great. Here’s the breakdown:

Perry - 11/32 (34.38%)

McBride - 14/37 (37.84%)

Jones - 5/14 (35.71%)

Rest of the team - 0/16 (0%)

The previous two seasons, Bell’s ability to hit the 3 from the 4 spot in the lineup really made us dangerous. He hit over a 3 a game and shot 37.6% from three last year, and 36.8% the year before. Having 4 guys on the court who could legitimately burn teams from deep and a solid center down low really made us tough to stop.

This year Bell just fell off there. In February and March, Bell was 2/14 from three and Scott was 0/7 from three. Our shooting from the 4 spot on the court was nonexistent down the stretch. What makes it harder to weather this is having a guard who gives you little offensively.

JJ Murray, one of our starting guards, was 0-12 from the field and 0-9 from three in postseason play. 0 points in 109 postseason minutes. His value was on defense, but offensively his limitations become magnified when you aren’t getting shooting from the 4 spot either.

I’m not trying to rag on the guys. They did great this year, including Murray, Bell, and Scott. These are the numbers. They tell the story of where we came up short. We played with the roster we had and the coaches and players did a great job of playing as a team and getting the most out of each other.

Now it’s the offseason. This is the chance to address the issues. Getting better from 25-7 won’t be easy at all, but this shows how the improvements can be made. Can we get better offensive players while still maintaining the same, or comparable intensity on defense is the pressing question IMO. But I think that’s where it starts. Get guys who up talent and offensive skill level and teach them how to buy in defensively. It’s what we did with Hamlet and he even said this was the first time coaches actually coached him defensively. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Now that we have had a few days to reflect on the season, I looked a little deeper at the shooting struggles we all saw. 

In postseason play we shot 30-99 (30.3%) from beyond the arc. Not great. Here’s the breakdown:

Perry - 11/32 (34.38%)

McBride - 14/37 (37.84%)

Jones - 5/14 (35.71%)

The previous two seasons, Bell’s ability to hit the 3 from the 4 spot in the lineup really made us dangerous. He hit over a 3 a game and shot 37.6% from three last year, and 36.8% the year before. Having 4 guys on the court who could legitimately burn teams from deep and a solid center down low really made us tough to stop.

This year Bell just fell off there. In February and March, Bell was 2/14 from three and Scott was 0/7 from three. Our shooting from the 4 spot on the court was nonexistent down the stretch. What makes it harder to weather this is having a guard who gives you little offensively.

JJ Murray, one of our starting guards, was 0-12 from the field and 0-9 from three in postseason play. 0 points in 109 postseason minutes. His value was on defense, but offensively his limitations become magnified when you aren’t getting shooting from the 4 spot either.

I’m not trying to rag on the guys. They did great this year, including Murray, Bell, and Scott. These are the numbers. They tell the story of where we came up short. We played with the roster we had and the coaches and players did a great job of playing as a team and getting the most out of each other.

Now it’s the offseason. This is the chance to address the issues. Getting better from 25-7 won’t be easy at all, but this shows how the improvements can be made. Can we get better offensive players while still maintaining the same, or comparable intensity on defense is the pressing question IMO. But I think that’s where it starts. Get guys who up talent and offensive skill level and teach them how to buy in defensively. It’s what we did with Hamlet and he even said this was the first time coaches actually coached him defensively. 

i think had we have one guy that could drive to the basket consistently, it would have opened up a lot for our team, hamlet did this and his floater made him someone that defenses had to try and bring help on. 

This year no one was going to try and double Bell down low, and he was the only one that would drive to the hoop

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Perry - 11/32 (34.38%)

McBride - 14/37 (37.84%)

Jones - 5/14 (35.71%)

We need a #2 that can hit the outside but maybe more important has the size to drive to the hoop in traffic. I don't know much about Stone, but he has the size and doesn't seem afraid on contact. Wish we had more plays to spread the floor and let Bell take it to the hoop.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i think had we have one guy that could drive to the basket consistently, it would have opened up a lot for our team, hamlet did this and his floater made him someone that defenses had to try and bring help on. 

This year no one was going to try and double Bell down low, and he was the only one that would drive to the hoop

Yup. That’s why I would like to see us get a PG like that. Themus Fulks comes to mind as a candidate. But allowing Perry to not have to create his own shot as much, and have someone who can break down a defense because that’s not where Perry excels the most.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We need a #2 that can hit the outside but maybe more important has the size to drive to the hoop in traffic. I don't know much about Stone, but he has the size and doesn't seem afraid on contact. Wish we had more plays to spread the floor and let Bell take it to the hoop.

Yeah Stone doesn’t really have any pedigree as a ball handler but I agree you have the right idea. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah Stone doesn’t really have any pedigree as a ball handler but I agree you have the right idea. 

I've had a hard time finding HS stats on him but I did locate his Freshman and Sophomore stats a while back. He shot around 36% to 38% (going off memory here) those two seasons on a respectable amount of 3s. Wonder what that looks like next season if he gets good minutes.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

From your mouth to gods ears. I think Drez could play for a P5 next year and be a difference maker, but I sure hope he’s back. 

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. See how the others not named Hamlet who let last year ended up…. For the worse. Hamlet definitely earned his leave and showed out. Bell came back and proved he had it all. McBride should follow in his footsteps. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Rubin Jones looked surprisingly good in the Texas St. game. It wasn't a part of his game I think I had seen before, hopefully they let him do that a bit more next year.