DRC: Sources close to McCasland confident he isn't headed to SMU

Brett Vito

13 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Contract negotiations with UNT. He can use it to get a massive raise from UNT. Same thing Seth did (not getting into that)

If you look who the P5'S have hired in which Mc was in the running for, there is no doubt if he wanted one of those jobs he would have gotten it. He deserves a massive raise no matter who is looking at him. By turning down SMU in the $2m range hopefully it confirms he will be here until Baylor comes calling. GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3

50 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If you look who the P5'S have hired in which Mc was in the running for, there is no doubt if he wanted one of those jobs he would have gotten it. He deserves a massive raise no matter who is looking at him. By turning down SMU in the $2m range hopefully it confirms he will be here until Baylor comes calling. GMG

Baylor has always been the job I’ve circled. I expect Grant to be hired for that job the second it ever comes open. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

If the dollar figures the SMU crew has been throwing out are legit (mid $2 million range) there are two explanations if Mac stays at North Texas:

1) He was not actually offered by SMU.

2) North Texas has decided to massively step up salary and because a move to SMU is, at best, a lateral in every sense other than alleged compensation, Mac has decided to stay put.

If SMU made that offer and North Texas said "ok, guess you have a decision to make" and did nothing, he would most certainly be gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Baylor has always been the job I’ve circled. I expect Grant to be hired for that job the second it ever comes open. 

Big "if."  I don't see Scott Drew leaving there until he retires in 15 or more years.  Unless Kentucky or someone else with major cash and cachet comes calling.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn’t increase his base salary at all. Wasn’t the salary both parties agreed to based on a certain expectation? Sounds like he earned his salary. I would, however, add more incentives:

$25k for averaging 70 pts per game

$10k for every kid that averages 15 minutes per game (starters and bench)

$100k if average attendance is 5k or more 

$50k for every win in the NCAA

$25k for every win in the NIT

$25k for averaging a shot within 30 seconds

$50k if the teams FT% is 75%

$10k for a weekly talk show. (To discuss JUCO’s in America)

$10k for each P5 transfer

$10k for every HS kid signed.

$1k for every time he smiles on the court

Somebody can do the math but this can be one hell of a compensation package. 

• Eye Roll 10
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Wouldn’t increase his base salary at all. Wasn’t the salary both parties agreed to based on a certain expectation? Sounds like he earned his salary. I would, however, add more incentives:

$25k for averaging 70 pts per game

$10k for every kid that averages 15 minutes per game (starters and bench)

$100k if average attendance is 5k or more 

$50k for every win in the NCAA

$25k for every win in the NIT

$25k for averaging a shot within 30 seconds

$50k if the teams FT% is 75%

$10k for a weekly talk show. (To discuss JUCO’s in America)

$10k for each P5 transfer

$10k for every HS kid signed.

$1k for every time he smiles on the court

Somebody can do the math but this can be one hell of a compensation package. 

Which coaches have a contract structured like that? This isn’t based in reality.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Contract negotiations with UNT. He can use it to get a massive raise from UNT. Same thing Seth did (not getting into that)

There was a good amount of skepticism from people on this board that they pulled the trigger too soon on a Littrell extension because of his lack of big wins. I don't think anyone would have an objection to giving Mac a big extension because there is no arguing his pedigree and what he's accomplished with this program already.  

28 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think the largest difference is that GMac lost Hamlet and his team actually improved.  When Littrell lost Fine, the team did not improve. 

He also lost Woolridge and Mo too.  Without looking it up, I'd guess he's had to reload a leading scorer or facilitator every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

I know, so did Seth before he got his extension and was courted by KU. That's my point.

How many conference 🏆 and postseason wins did Seth have before his extension?  I get the hesitation,but I don't think the two are in the same league. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Rudy said:

How many conference 🏆 and postseason wins did Seth have before his extension?  I get the hesitation,but I don't think the two are in the same league. 

This, I was thinking about how we all regret the Litrell raise, but Mac has actually had the best records in UNT history. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This, I was thinking about how we all regret the Litrell raise, but Mac has actually had the best records in UNT history. 

I disagree in that I don’t have a problem with us raising the head coaching salary or even the assistants.  It shows the world we are serious and not participating in the bargain basement program that we had here for far too long.  What I do have a problem with is the fact that Seth is not earning the money we pay him!

• Upvote 1