McCasland is not going to SMU

Harry

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Guys, my freshman year at NTSU was 1961, and we have come forward  light years since then. In sports my two favorite teams are North Texas and who ever is playing the Ponies. Having said that, you can make a number of disparaging remarks about SMU but them being a second  a second class school is not one of them.

Well I actually went to SMU for grad school, and I did not say they were a second class school. 

Read, the writer who identified their-self as a SMU fan stated that SMU was behind both A&M and UT in academics.  My comment was why spend the money for a private school when you think there are better State options.   

Of course, the answer could be they could not get into A&M and UT.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Why "F SMU"?  If North Texas were in the same position to triple the SMU coach's salary (and you felt he was the right man for the job) you wouldn't do it?

From what I’ve learned about Coach Mac over the time he’s been here, I’d be shocked if he ever took a job just because of money. He may end up taking a job after UNT, but I think it will be to move to an upper echelon basketball gig. No offense to SMU, but I don’t think that’s it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Your vet just called, he says the Ivermectin for your "horse" is ready. 

Don't forget to get a booster for your booster.

And you say you don't keep tabs.  Right.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Well I actually went to SMU for grad school, and I did not say they were a second class school. 

Read, the writer who identified their-self as a SMU fan stated that SMU was behind both A&M and UT in academics.  My comment was why spend the money for a private school when you think there are better State options.   

Of course, the answer could be they could not get into A&M and UT.  

I am not going to compare department by department of the three schools, and really don't know how the three of them compare regarding admission. I do know that the Texas School of Business is very difficult to get into and their law school is ranked ahead of the other two. You answered your own question when you asked why spend the money when you think there are better state options. Obviously one reason to attend a private school is you don't think there are better options.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because it is smu. 
Money isn’t everything. He will get a nice raise and extension from North Texas, have a better quality of life, easy commute, doesn’t uproot his kids from a very good school district and can keep his green van. 
Also, because it is smu and they think they can money whip anyone. Ask Jank how he liked it there outside of the cash?  Sometimes that environment isn’t for everyone. As my mother used to say, “Money can buy a lot of things. Happiness isn’t one of them.”  She was right. 

Your reasons for staying seem very subjective. It's a mute point since it appears Mac is not in the running, but whats a "nice" raise compared to a $1&3/4 million dollar increase in income. Living in the Park Cities eliminates any commute at all, and the quality of life appears pretty good from the outside looking in. Coaches and their  families are used to being uprooted. In fact, if you look at their coaching resumes it looks like they are running from the law. Regarding the green van , it will fit in anywhere. Your mother makes a great point, money can't buy happiness ,but personally I have met more unhappy people without money that those with.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I am not going to compare department by department of the three schools, and really don't know how the three of them compare regarding admission. I do know that the Texas School of Business is very difficult to get into and their law school is ranked ahead of the other two. You answered your own question when you asked why spend the money when you think there are better state options. Obviously one reason to attend a private school is you don't think there are better options.

I'm long since retired, however I hired hundreds of people in my career.   One of the least important factors in that decision, was what school did you get a degree from.

As for as performance, there was little correlation with the school that granted the degree or degrees.  i had great employees from NT and also a few bad hires.   Same with the other area colleges: SMU, TCU, UTA as well as UT.    

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Off-topic again but what makes you think I'm a boomer?

I've never understood why people send their kids to private school pre-middle school except for some unique circumstances that I know of but people do it. I know of private schools in Dallas where elementary is actually the majority of their student base.

The private school industry is a racket.  You have a significantly better chance of being accepted into an Ivy League school or top private university if you attended a private/prep school.  You have a significantly better chance of getting into a private/prep school if you attended a private middle school and you have a significantly better chance of being accepted into a private middle school if you attended a private elementary school and so on all the way back to day care.  It's crazy.  At least that's the way it is in the northeast.  I was talking with someone yesterday in New York going through the application/interview/acceptance process and all the stress associated with it for his 8 and 10 year olds!  It's all based on the ability of the private school industry to perpetuate the notion that people who exit its system are better than everyone else.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I'm long since retired, however I hired hundreds of people in my career.   One of the least important factors in that decision, was what school did you get a degree from.

As for as performance, there was little correlation with the school that granted the degree or degrees.  i had great employees from NT and also a few bad hires.   Same with the other area colleges: SMU, TCU, UTA as well as UT.    

Agreed

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, keith said:

The private school industry is a racket.  You have a significantly better chance of being accepted into an Ivy League school or top private university if you attended a private/prep school.  You have a significantly better chance of getting into a private/prep school if you attended a private middle school and you have a significantly better chance of being accepted into a private middle school if you attended a private elementary school and so on all the way back to day care.  It's crazy.  At least that's the way it is in the northeast.  I was talking with someone yesterday in New York going through the application/interview/acceptance process and all the stress associated with it for his 8 and 10 year olds!  It's all based on the ability of the private school industry to perpetuate the notion that people who exit its system are better than everyone else.  

I had a long(er) response written but decided to spare you. I agree in some sense it is crazy. Some of it comes down to legacies and networking. Some of it comes down to overall educational standards set by private vs public school which is reflected in standardized testing scores. The people I know who went to private school or charter schools did better in college than those who went to Dallas, Garland, or Mesquite ISD. Those I know who went to Plano ISD for example were fine. It's not necessarily the teachers but the students and what they bring to school from home.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The list is sorted alphabetically.

The first 12 are alphabetical for high majors then 13-44 are alphabetical for mid-majors.  I assumed SMU would be listed above Duke, but I guess not everyone agrees.

Edited by glick1980
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Off-topic again but what makes you think I'm a boomer?

I've never understood why people send their kids to private school pre-middle school except for some unique circumstances that I know of but people do it. I know of private schools in Dallas where elementary is actually the majority of their student base.

My kids are in middle school and have gone to private school since preschool.  As much as I love their schools, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Unfortunately my wife does not.  Happy wife happy life?

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

My kids are in middle school and have gone to private school since preschool.  As much as I love their schools, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Unfortunately my wife does not.  Happy wife happy life?

Part of the issue, at least at many of the private schools in Dallas, is for admissions they prioritize family of current/former students and students who have been with them already (logical) so if you want your kids to go to their high school, it's almost required they go there in middle school and the same with elementary to get into the middle school.

I went to private school through 9th grade because my mom is a private school teacher and I received free tuition at her school. I certainly think it helped prepare me for the college prep charter school I graduated from and that school certainly prepared me for college so I guess it all worked out. Graduated from UNT with 2 bachelor's degrees in three and a half years after starting off freshman year with enough credits to be a sophomore. Long story short, if it works out in the end, it's worth it. I feel I owe it to my kids to set them up for success as best as possible. If I lived in Dallas, they wouldn't be going to public school but I wouldn't be spending $30k/year for private school either.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, unt-chief said:

SMU #3?  Only in a horse's mind. You are probably barely #3 in Dallas county.  Thanks for the great morning laugh.

What an unlikely self own. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, mustangfan said:

Our alumni network strong and our academic reputation is second only to Texas A&M or UT in the state.  

MAYBE in Dallas... In the entire state?  No.  For every SMU grad I've met who knew how to navigate the social and professional circles of SMU alums, I've met 5 who will brag of the worth of their SMU degree from their entirely average or below average job that they could have gotten with a piece of paper from Tarleton State.

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I interviewed a SMU grad a few years ago now for a entry level staff Finance Analyst job.  He bragged about how he interned at Nike in Oregon and was interested in our job but that it was an absolute after thought if Nike called.  Fair enough... I offered him a position and he started asking for 10's of thousands more and equity in the company because SMU and did you know he interned at Nike?  I hired a kid from UTD and as far as I know the SMU guy spent so long trying to get a finance job that he SUDDENLY had a high interest in going back for his Masters at ole SMU.  Unemployment will do that to you.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1