McCasland is not going to SMU

Harry

19 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Doesn't stop you and your boomer rants about young people in the politics threads. 

My point wasn't about what people are paying for private school in Dallas, my point was that sending a kid to a private school is pretty much pointless until they've reached adolescence. 

Off-topic again but what makes you think I'm a boomer?

I've never understood why people send their kids to private school pre-middle school except for some unique circumstances that I know of but people do it. I know of private schools in Dallas where elementary is actually the majority of their student base.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, redallover said:

SMU has a better academic rep that A&M unless you're talking about engineering. Even then, I know quite a few people that pay extra for their kids to attend SMU for engineering and got $ to attend A&M. 

UNT has a shot at being higher ranked than Tech in the US News rankings.   

Love SMU but SMU does not have a better academic rep than Texas A&M.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 3

48 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

At the risk of being tarred and feathered here, SMU is a very unique and special place.  We offer a vibrant city, huge employment opportunities after graduation and unlimited resources.  Our alumni network strong and our academic reputation is second only to Texas A&M or UT in the state.  We may be in the same conference but there are clear differences between the two of us. 

Thank goodness

I wonder why a private school would dream their academic reputation is on par with large state schools. Why pay private school tuition to attend a second class school. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

Love SMU but SMU does not have a better academic rep than Texas A&M.

Well, it's ranked the same on US News (#68). It's certainly a different student body and different experience. My nephew was top 10% in an east TX HS with no SAT and got into Mays but wouldn't have been waitlisted at Cox. 

Back to UNT...hope you keep GM and am interested in what rabbit the BMDs pull out of the hat on the Hilltop. 

Edited by redallover
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, redallover said:

SMU has a better academic rep that A&M unless you're talking about engineering. Even then, I know quite a few people that pay extra for their kids to attend SMU for engineering and got $ to attend A&M. 

My 30 years experience in the DFW business community was that in Dallas having a degree from Texas ,Texas A&M, and SMU opened doors. In Ft. Worth it was Texas, Texas A&M, and TCU. All four of these universities have a strong networking system that North Texas does not which, in my opinion, increases the value of their degree if you reside in the Metroplex.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Off-topic again but what makes you think I'm a boomer?

I don't think you're a boomer, I said you make boomer rants. 

I've never understood why people send their kids to private school pre-middle school except for some unique circumstances that I know of but people do it. 

So in general, we agree. But with your big boomer energy you immediately patronized me and tried to call me out as stupid, rather than possibly re-reading what I said or replying with any sort of clarification. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, mustangfan said:

At the risk of being tarred and feathered here, SMU is a very unique and special place.  We offer a vibrant city, huge employment opportunities after graduation and unlimited resources.  Our alumni network strong and our academic reputation is second only to Texas A&M or UT in the state.  We may be in the same conference but there are clear differences between the two of us. 

Ah, smut. The Harvard of the high plains! Just ask them, they'll tell you! You guys make me sick. So thank you Captain Obvious, for making sure we understand there are differences between a public and private university.  And being second ONLY to UT and A&M academically in the state? Rice University may have something to say about that, except Ithey don't have an inferiority complex. So go and beg at the doorstep of the Big 12 and let us know when you get back.

Jack ass.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

I don't think you're a boomer, I said you make boomer rants. 

You said I make boomer rants about young people implying you believe I am a) a boomer, and b) not young.

You may think you're being tricky and successfully playing semantics to sneak around being accountable for your false assumptions but the actual meaning of your statement was clear. I may or may not entertain your response. Depends on if I laugh or not.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You may think you're being tricky and successfully playing semantics to sneak around being accountable for your false assumptions but the actual meaning of your statement was clear. I may or may not entertain your response. Depends on if I laugh or not.

No, I clarified what I meant. Nobody's trying to be cute and play with semantics. In the thread about the anti-trans jerk you said or implied you were around your 30's. You can be 18 and still have the same mindset as a someone who is 65. I'm very likely older than you myself. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Thank goodness

I wonder why a private school would dream their academic reputation is on par with large state schools. Why pay private school tuition to attend a second class school. 

Guys, my freshman year at NTSU was 1961, and we have come forward  light years since then. In sports my two favorite teams are North Texas and who ever is playing the Ponies. Having said that, you can make a number of disparaging remarks about SMU but them being a second  a second class school is not one of them.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

No, I clarified what I meant. Nobody's trying to be cute and play with semantics. In the thread about the anti-trans jerk you said or implied you were around your 30's. You can be 18 and still have the same mindset as a someone who is 65. I'm very likely older than you myself. 

Man, y'all sure do keep tabs around here.

Not sure what age has to do with mindset but that's neither here nor there. I'll let people get back to talking about Grant while I research what a 65 year old's mindset is supposed to be. Maybe it has more to do with personal experiences and upbringing than it does age...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Man, y'all sure do keep tabs around here.

Not sure what age has to do with mindset but that's neither here nor there. I'll let people get back to talking about Grant while I research what a 65 year old's mindset is supposed to be. Maybe it has more to do with personal experiences and upbringing than it does age...

It's not that deep dude, you ranted about young people while declaring yourself part of that generation. I rolled my eyes at the time but when you come at me with stuff like "you don't know what you're talking about", I'm going to bite back. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

anyone watching the Showtime Lakers series, Winning Time, on HBO? y'all see the last episode? 

let's just say, like Tark in Vegas, some interested parties wanna keep Grant around Denton. 

Frenchy?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mustangfan said:

SMU would be better off in Fort Worth. There’s a reason TCU and Baylor are in front of SMU both in conference and academically. Don’t be surprised if one day you see UNT passing you by with the blinders you have on. UH might have already as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, redallover said:

I know coworkers of mine (more than a few) who went to SMU and UTA and they said by far UTA was better… and a couple of them did undergrad degrees at TCU.

if you want to rub shoulders with people who work at engineering firms in DFW, SMU is a good place to go because they offer serious discounts to people who currently work at large engineering companies so they can sell that network to students.

If you want to actually learn something about engineering, you’d be better off at UTA.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

It's not that deep dude, you ranted about young people while declaring yourself part of that generation. I rolled my eyes at the time but when you come at me with stuff like "you don't know what you're talking about", I'm going to bite back. 

Got it. Didn't mean to offend. I'll be more considerate of others' feelings next time before I say stuff like that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Some of y’all need to take your little lovers spat to the private area…hell, just swap cell numbers and text through it or meet in the alley behind the high school and duke it out!

Can't do that. We're both expert keyboard warriors but that's as far as that goes.

WoWSouthpark.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Some of y’all need to take your little lovers spat to the private area…hell, just swap cell numbers and text through it or meet in the alley behind the high school and duke it out!

I'd call it pretty resolved though, which is good considering my original reply. 

• Upvote 5