WE SHOULD BE FLATTERED.

4 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Once again SMU turns to us in hope a improving their athletics. We should feel flattered. 

.........and look what they have to offer Mac to look pass their arrogance, ego and pride. 

Don’t panic. All is well!!

Once again?  

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, meangreenbob said:

Siggers. 

Didn't an SMU lineman transfer to UNT a few years back?  Can't remember the name.  

Specifically re: Siggers he's a nice depth piece and a good kid.  Looking forward to seeing him and Camar Wheaton sharing the load next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

We should be flattered at being SMU’s bitch, got it. If McCasland somehow decided to leave for the money, I certainly would not wish him well. And judging by the history of coaches at SMU, he’d be an assistant at St Mary Catholic Church of Oklahoma Southern after he was fired for not living up to booster’s hilarious expectations.

Jank had 7 years to get the program to the NCAA tournament (and no I don't count the early years when he inherited the roster Larry Brown built).  The program was stuck in neutral.  NIT is not the goal.  

It isn't like SMU is firing coaches after two years.  I think its reasonable that if we're willing to pay Top 25 money that mixing in an NCAA tournament appearance or two should be the bar.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Didn't an SMU lineman transfer to UNT a few years back?  Can't remember the name.  

Specifically re: Siggers he's a nice depth piece and a good kid.  Looking forward to seeing him and Camar Wheaton sharing the load next year.

I think you are referring to Sam Rice. He ended up being a pretty good player for us, just like Siggers is for you. He transferred in after we beat SMU so bad that June Jones quit.

We also took head case Keith Frazier off your hands for a little bit.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think you are referring to Sam Rice. He ended up being a pretty good player for us, just like Siggers is for you. He transferred in after we beat SMU so bad that June Jones quit.

We also took head case Keith Frazier off your hands for a little bit.

Ah yes Sam Rice.  Old age and whiskey has robbed me (thankfully) of the memories of the end of the June era.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SMU2006 said:

Jank had 7 years to get the program to the NCAA tournament (and no I don't count the early years when he inherited the roster Larry Brown built).  The program was stuck in neutral.  NIT is not the goal.  

It isn't like SMU is firing coaches after two years.  I think its reasonable that if we're willing to pay Top 25 money that mixing in an NCAA tournament appearance or two should be the bar.

Honest question:
With losing your entire starting 5, do you think the returning roster issue may be a problem?   Do you think the next coach would have slack time to get his own guys in there?  Z. Phelps played 478 minutes this past season, and that's the returning high.   (For NT fans, that would be like losing all of our starters and the most experienced guy returning is Aaron Scott.) 

And I don't know if you understand the drastic difference in philosophy you're getting into if y'all hired McCasland:  You're talking about a team going from scoring 74ppg (#102 of 350) to 65ppg (#311 of 350).  That's going to take a while for the returners to acclimate to (if they even do).   McCasland's desired pace is INCREDIBLY SLOW.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honest question:
With losing your entire starting 5, do you think the returning roster issue may be a problem?   Do you think the next coach would have slack time to get his own guys in there?  Z. Phelps played 478 minutes this past season, and that's the returning high.   (For NT fans, that would be like losing all of our starters and the most experienced guy returning is Aaron Scott.) 

And I don't know if you understand the drastic difference in philosophy you're getting into if y'all hired McCasland:  You're talking about a team going from scoring 74ppg (#102 of 350) to 65ppg (#311 of 350).  That's going to take a while for the returners to acclimate to (if they even do).   McCasland's desired pace is INCREDIBLY SLOW.

Good question.  I would say between NIL and the transfer portal there is a good chance for SMU to put a quality product on the floor next year.  That said, the new coach won't be expected to have immediate success given the roster turnover and, as you've pointed out, a change in play style.  

It wasn't that long ago that Moody was standing-room only with 7,000 plus in attendance for home games and SMU was in the Top 25.  It has everything to do with winning and not the style of play.  

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I agree with you. With big money should come big expectations. Some UNT fans on this very board, in regards to our football program, don't see it that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

11 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I agree with you. With big money should come big expectations. Some UNT fans on this very board, in regards to our football program, don't see it that way. 

He's proposing Top 25 money. In basketball, I think that is north of $3Mil, these days.

The average D1 head football coach makes $1.7Mil. Seth Littrell makes $1.7Mil.

"Big Money" is bigger than the average. Are you proposing Big money to match big expectations?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanMag said:

He's proposing Top 25 money. In basketball, I think that is north of $3Mil, these days.

The average D1 head football coach makes $1.7Mil. Seth Littrell makes $1.7Mil.

"Big Money" is bigger than the average. Are you proposing Big money to match big expectations?

1.7 isn't average in CUSA. Keep it relative please.  

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

1.7 isn't average in CUSA. Keep it relative please.  

We are supposed to have AAC resources now where the average is $2.2M.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2021/2/23/22290155/how-much-do-aac-teams-pay-their-coaches-american-athletic-conference-football-coaching-salaries

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not sure about the assistant pool but Seth is in good shape when you factor in other than compared to Gus, Dana and Luke are leaving.  Ken at Navy is making more.    I think where we are in trouble is the assistant pool.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Sure. "Supposed to". We are CUSA right now and in CUSA SL sits at or close to the top in pay. Our university's football team does not sit at or close to the top of CUSA football standings. That was the point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1