LT Loftin: new news

greenminer

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Probably depends on who La Tech's new head coach is and who else is coming back there too.  Over all, I doubt he gets drafted and doubt he returns to La Tech either.

Should we start again with the best, bestest, aight, and terrible case scenarios?

Best case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, Grant woos him to North Texas

Neutral case: Lofton gets drafted, Grant stays

Worst case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, returns to LA Tech, Grant moves on

Worstest case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, Grant moves on, Grant lures Lofton there (I think the worst would actually be the worstest, but this would be the biggest gut punch)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Should we start again with the best, bestest, aight, and terrible case scenarios?

Best case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, Grant woos him to North Texas

Neutral case: Lofton gets drafted, Grant stays

Worst case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, returns to LA Tech, Grant moves on

Worstest case: Lofton doesn't get drafted, Grant moves on, Grant lures Lofton there (I think the worst would actually be the worstest, but this would be the biggest gut punch)

The worstest worstest is if both ended up with those MFs in Dallas.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Just testing the waters. Not a bad move on his part

Exactly. Then he can come back to college and wear a North Texas jersey to help us make a deep run in the NCAA tournament and continue to help his build up his exposure and draft stock. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt from A700 said:

Is this new? I thought you forgo your eligibility if you declare and don't get drafted?

If he hires an agent, then yes.   If he declares to gauge interest without hiring an agent, then removes himself from the draft process before a certain time (if he doesn't like where they're slotting him), he keeps his eligibility and can return to school or transfer 1 time with immediate eligibility, as usual. 

I don’t see a pro player right now. He has the potential, absolutely. But he’ll need to be in much better shape in order to make it. There’s too many times where I saw him visibly out of breath after having to work at both ends for a few minutes. Another year of strength and conditioning and he might be a fringe lotto pick. Strong Draymond Green vines 

34 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

There is no way a guy with his endurance and shape is ever going to play a minute in the NBA.

Yep.  Not comparing the two except for body style, but that Charles Barkley had a nondescript career as well.  Did he ever get off the bench?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would be interesting to see if he ever decides to get serious about his health what he can do. I'm guessing he's missed more games than he's played in the NBA.

Don't you mean more serious? The guy is a CUSA elite.  It's not like he's skipping weight room and hanging out at the Jack-N-Box so he can scarf down tacos.

I'm supposed to do the latter.  Not a D1 scholarship athlete.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, texx2818 said:

There is no way a guy with his endurance and shape is ever going to play a minute in the NBA.

He's too heavy. And time isn't on his side as all of us know... He's going to get heavier unless he gets a good trainer and nutritionist. 

He reminds me of Zion.   All hype in college and then has missed over 50% of his NBA starts because of injuries that are probably related to weight.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

He's too heavy. And time isn't on his side as all of us know... He's going to get heavier unless he gets a good trainer and nutritionist. 

He reminds me of Zion.   All hype in college and then has missed over 50% of his NBA starts because of injuries that are probably related to weight.

Let me get this straight: Zion signed up for that NBA money and only had to play half a season?

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Would be interesting to see if he ever decides to get serious about his health what he can do. I'm guessing he's missed more games than he's played in the NBA.

What makes Lofton so effective is his size.  Assuming he would be better at a lighter weight, just may not be accurate. 

i do doubt, he will ever play for La Tech again.  He maybe more pro as he transfers to a team with backers that can provide a lot of NIL money.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

I don't get the comparison's to Zion, who is an athletic freak and can jump out of the gym.  The guy blew out a pair of shoes in a game due to the sheer force he was applying to them.  Injuries have led to him not playing much, but he and Lofton do not share the same body type.

I also don't get the argument about Lofton being out of shape.  Some guys are just built this way.  Purely a guess, but I would think his greatest issue, being a 19-20 year old, is his nutrition and making wise choices.  He started every game for LA Tech this year and averaged 27 minutes a game.  He was their leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker, and he was second on the team in assists and steals.

Lofton just completed his sophomore year and has amassed this awards in two years.

Freshman Year:

Third Team All-Conference USA
C-USA Freshman of the Year
C-USA All-Freshman Team
NIT All-Tournament Team
Second Team All-Louisiana

Nine-time C-USA Freshman of the Week

Sophomore Year:

First Team All-Conference USA
NABC First Team All-District 11
C-USA All-Tournament Team
Two-time C-USA Player of the Week
Naismith Trophy Midseason Team
Karl Malone Award Watch List

He is smart for weighing his options at this point considering LA Tech just lost the coach that recruited him there.  I hope he stays in school, as I don't think he is ready for the NBA, decides to transfer and ends up with us.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1