Now that Basketball is Done

UNTLifer

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I am right there with you on this. Three losing seasons and that six game losing streak to start last year have really alienated the fan base, and there has been really no reason for them to have optimism of change. The egg laid at the Frisco Classic certainly didn't give anyone the sense that they're seeing improvement.

I am convinced that our first game will set the tone for the entire season.

I fully expect half empty stadiums all of next season. I think a majority of the fan base has given up on Littrell and this staff, much like you and I have. Just look at the bowl game in our own back yard. Nothing this offseason has indicated a shift or change in that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

I am right there with you on this. Three losing seasons and that six game losing streak to start last year have really alienated the fan base, and there has been really no reason for them to have optimism of change. The egg laid at the Frisco Classic certainly didn't give anyone the sense that they're seeing improvement.

I am convinced that our first game will set the tone for the entire season.

This

On 3/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, Cr1028 said:

@NWKGREENmakes a good point though, if you don’t give them the same tools, you put the coach and the team at a disadvantage. Comparing SMU to us in terms of NIL is like comparing the New York Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers. If we can’t step our NIL game up we might has well go in the bathroom and bitch at the mirror.

There is no doubt Seth has to start the season winning. Should be a very short leash!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ADLER said:

I don't see any reason to give Seth the opportunity to lose to Memphis if he loses to SMU. I like Seth and only want the best for him, but he is here to perform a job, 

If you pay your good friend to fix your car but it still breaks down most weeks, it's time to get a new mechanic. It's nothing personal. Being a "really nice guy" has no bearing on this decision.

If we lose our first game we should display a commitment and start looking to hire the best replacement.

I think that we shouldn’t expect Baker to fire Seth after one game. Unless we see a 77-10 blowout, he will likely let him play out the schedule like last year. With this easier schedule (theoretically) I would bet Wren expects 7-8 wins. That’s probably enough to tack on a couple years and a small raise to Seth’s contract. 
I think that is a bad idea but I don’t know that we are on the same page as the AD and the top donors. Likely trying to focus on facility improvements over paying out a contract of a coach after a winning season (assuming it plays out as expected). 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think that we shouldn’t expect Baker to fire Seth after one game. Unless we see a 77-10 blowout, he will likely let him play out the schedule like last year. With this easier schedule (theoretically) I would bet Wren expects 7-8 wins. That’s probably enough to tack on a couple years and a small raise to Seth’s contract. 
I think that is a bad idea but I don’t know that we are on the same page as the AD and the top donors. Likely trying to focus on facility improvements over paying out a contract of a coach after a winning season (assuming it plays out as expected). 

If Seth, in his seventh year, loses at home to a totally rebuilding SMU program on Saturday, then yes, he's a lame duck the following Monday. I really want him to win, and win big, but we'll need to improve the program if he can't and I am not a proponent of retaining lame duck coaches.

The UTSA game was a must-win to save his job but it only bought him a two game reprieve. The uninspiring Frisco Classic loss did vey little to solidify his job, and a fourth strait loss to our cross-town rival will probably end his career here.

In our hundred year series with SMU no other North Texas coach has lost a game in Denton. Seth has made a habit of it and we've got a real problem if a rookie coach coaching his first game ever can outcoach our seven year veteran.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

If Seth, in his seventh year, loses at home to a totally rebuilding SMU program on Saturday, then yes, he's a lame duck the following Monday. I really want him to win, and win big, but we'll need to improve the program if he can't and I am not a proponent of retaining lame duck coaches.

The UTSA game was a must-win to save his job but it only bought him a two game reprieve. The uninspiring Frisco Classic loss did vey little to solidify his job, and a fourth strait loss to our cross-town rival will probably end his career here.

In our hundred year series with SMU no other North Texas coach has lost a game in Denton. Seth has made a habit of it and we've got a real problem if a rookie coach coaching his first game ever can outcoach our seven year veteran.

Again,  SMU brings back a ton of talent, including Tanner Mordecai.  And Rhett Lashlee is the creator of the SMU offense as it is run today.   They are not "totally rebuilding".  They are going to be firing on all cylinders immediately.

I'm not making excuses for Littrell, that's for sure.  I'd prefer he already be gone.
But let's not rip down the state of SMU football to make the impending L look worse than it already will.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I fully expect half empty stadiums all of next season. I think a majority of the fan base has given up on Littrell and this staff, much like you and I have. Just look at the bowl game in our own back yard. Nothing this offseason has indicated a shift or change in that. 

Has there been any notable change in attendance that would indicate "give up"? Will be interesting to see how attendance is the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Has there been any notable change in attendance that would indicate "give up"? Will be interesting to see how attendance is the rest of the year.

According to the announced numbers, we averaged 16,668 fans a game last year with only one game [barely] over 20K. This year we are averaging 19,038 and would need 25,000 fans over the last two games combined to clinch a better attendance average than 2021. I think we will get a good chunk of that this weekend.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

According to the announced numbers, we averaged 16,668 fans a game last year with only one game [barely] over 20K. This year we are averaging 19,038 and would need 25,000 fans over the last two games combined to clinch a better attendance average than 2021. I think we will get a good chunk of that this weekend.

True. I would say tough, that 2021 was a pretty bad year in attendance, and partially the reason was already give up, partially some people still stayed away for Covid reasons, an effect that is pretty much gone now.

The better comparison would really be with 2019 a 4-8 season with an average of 21,479. Even if you take out the Houston game from 2019, you are still above this years average and it was a year with SMU as road game