Eric Knokol, LT HC, is off to Tulsa?

greenminer

6 minutes ago, GMGfor3 said:

chances of Junior Lofton playing at La Tech next season just dramatically lowered.

Where does he go instead?   He could probably punch his ticket just about anywhere.   Being from Beaumont, I bet he'd be interested in hearing from LSU, A&M, UT, & Houston.    But hey, maybe the Mean Green made an impression?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Where does he go instead?   He could probably punch his ticket just about anywhere.   Being from Beaumont, I bet he'd be interested in hearing from LSU, A&M, UT, & Houston.    But hey, maybe the Mean Green made an impression?

I just hope he doesn't decide to follow Mac to a place not named Denton, TX. 

LSU Basketball: Coaching search down to 2 candidates, per report (usatoday.com)

Unlike SMU, LSU actually is a P5 school with a fan base.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I just hope he doesn't decide to follow Mac to a place not named Denton, TX. 

LSU Basketball: Coaching search down to 2 candidates, per report (usatoday.com)

Unlike SMU, LSU actually is a P5 school with a fan base.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lsu-to-hire-matt-mcmahon-tigers-program-turns-to-murray-state-coach-after-firing-will-wade/

• Upvote 2

Many coaches think they need to change every 5-7 years to continue rising.  

Eric Knokol has been at La Tech since 2015.

Matt McMahon has been at Murray State since 2015.

Grant has been at UNT since 2017. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Interesting as it appears he sees the AAC as a step up from C-USA.

Tulsa is a good job with a rich history and a really nice arena.They have good fan support which softened recentlybecause several bad seasons that forced previous coach to resign [ He was head coach at Mizoo and left them for the Canes]  I think it is a 7 figure gig plus its a good city to live in.

• Upvote 1

Tulsa has been a great stepping stone job going back to the 1980s

Nolan Richardson left for Arkansas

Tubby Smith - Georgia then Kentucky

Steve Robinson - FSU

Bill Self- Illinois/Kansas

Buzz Peterson - Tennessee 

Danny Manning - Wake Forest

Even the coaches that dont move on stay at Tulsa for a decent amount of time, almost 7 years on average

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I'm not sure. Grant is a very good recruiter. Is Hodge?

Huh. Grant is a great coach, don't get me wrong, out of what he recruits he gets an incrfedible amount and he evaluates fairly decently who will be a good fit. But in terms of recruiting he primarily recruits to a specific type, otherwise he does not strike fear into folks on the recruiting trail. His best trait in recruiting is being good at mining the JC. But beating other schools for high end high school talent? The record in that area is not so impressive that it would make me overly worry that Hodge couldn't replicate that part.

Edited by outoftown

17 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I'm not sure. Grant is a very good recruiter. Is Hodge?

Is Grant really that fantastic as a recruiter? Looking back on our impact players in the past couple years, most of them were scouted by others, already wanted to play at NT, or he just brought a whole squad in. Never really thought of that as one of his strengths - feels like he’s really good though at creating a culture and building up the guys already here. Getting the best out of his guys. 

25 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Huh. Grant is a great coach, don't get me wrong, out of what he recruits he gets an incrfedible amount and he evaluates fairly decently who will be a good fit. But in terms of recruiting he primarily recruits to a specific type, otherwise he does not strike fear into folks on the recruiting trail. His best trait in recruiting is being good at mining the JC. But beating other schools for high end high school talent? The record in that area is not so impressive that it would make me overly worry that Hodge couldn't replicate that part.

Doesn’t every school recruit to their type of play? I could see Hodge being the next head coach and I think Grant has set him up for that based on all the pub, but I could also imagine another choice from Wren .