Jump to content

Possible outcomes for each G5 program in Texas


Jonnyeagle
 Share

Recommended Posts

North Texas Mean Green

2021 record: 6-7

Best case in 2022: North Texas relied on one of the nation’s best rushing attacks to win the final five games of the regular season and reach a bowl game. The 2022 version of the Mean Green hope the ending to the 2021 season is a prelude of the start in 2022. North Texas gets a chance in Week 1 to shock the state with a home game against an SMU program under the direction of a first-year head coach. A win against the Mustangs sets new goals for North Texas. The team rides that momentum into Conference USA play to make a Cinderella run at the conference championship game and a 10-win season. 

Worst case in 2022: Quarterback play, and a few key losses along the defensive line, cost North Texas a strong start to the season, which leaves the Mean Green scrambling again to reach the six-win plateau needed to reach a bowl game. No DeAndre Torrey means the team takes a step back offensively and North Texas doesn’t reach a bowl game. Uncertainty surrounds the program with a move to the AAC on the horizon. 

read more:  https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/03/17/best-case-worst-case-possible-outcomes-for-each-g5-program-in-texas?ref=article_preview_title

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It all comes down to QB play. If who ever starts (I'm going to guess Stone or Aune) can be serviceable, hit open receivers and not throw to the other team we will be in a good place.  On Defense hearing Trieb is a dawg   and Leota is playing the devil and looks good, along with Kropp

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coach_1976 said:

It all comes down to QB play. If who ever starts (I'm going to guess Stone or Aune) can be serviceable, hit open receivers and not throw to the other team we will be in a good place.  On Defense hearing Trieb is a dawg   and Leota is playing the devil and looks good, along with Kropp

Do you consider Head a good choice as well?

  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Worst possible outcome?

Littrell does just enough to stay another year and we limp into the AAC, winning 3 games in our first year and Wren finally pulls the trigger

It’s worse than that. If SL stays, he’s here for at least three more years beyond this. 
 

This is the ultimate irony: SL winning more than 7 games is probably the worst case scenario if you don’t believe in him. If you do believe in him, you better pray he can find 7 wins this season or he’s done.

I truly don’t know that SL being here beyond this year is bad or good. If he has Mason Fine and Graham Harrell together, it’s great. Without them both, it’s awful. It really is just so North Texas that it’s not even funny.

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2022 at 10:01 PM, untjim1995 said:

It’s worse than that. If SL stays, he’s here for at least three more years beyond this. 
 

This is the ultimate irony: SL winning more than 7 games is probably the worst case scenario if you don’t believe in him. If you do believe in him, you better pray he can find 7 wins this season or he’s done.

I truly don’t know that SL being here beyond this year is bad or good. If he has Mason Fine and Graham Harrell together, it’s great. Without them both, it’s awful. It really is just so North Texas that it’s not even funny.

I think he should be done if he can't beat an SMU team with a brand new coach. A future conference-mate should be the benchmark and if he can't do that, he won't do anything in the American. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I think he should be done if he can't beat an SMU team with a brand new coach. A future conference-mate should be the benchmark and if he can't do that, he won't do anything in the American. 

Don't forget that 3 weeks later, we play another future conference mate at Memphis.   Lose both of those, and yeah, be gone!

You're really underselling SMU's "brand new coach", who was the architect of SMU's current offense, and returns after only 2 seasons away.   That transition is going to be about as seamless as they come.   Pretty sure it's a L.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't forget that 3 weeks later, we play another future conference mate at Memphis.   Lose both of those, and yeah, be gone!

You're really underselling SMU's "brand new coach", who was the architect of SMU's current offense, and returns after only 2 seasons away.   That transition is going to be about as seamless as they come.   Pretty sure it's a L.

tumblr_n4ubivzRmB1ssnqqgo1_400.gif

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't forget that 3 weeks later, we play another future conference mate at Memphis.   Lose both of those, and yeah, be gone!

You're really underselling SMU's "brand new coach", who was the architect of SMU's current offense, and returns after only 2 seasons away.   That transition is going to be about as seamless as they come.   Pretty sure it's a L.

An L as in Littrell? 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.