Any chance Jamiah Simmons can get a medical redshirt?

Jonnyeagle

4 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

This. He already used a medical redshirt year… this was his 6th year. He has been with McCasland since 2016 at Ark State

Agreed but I believe you can still apply for another one they just get to rule and typically they won’t allow it.  Also Covid has made for some grey area.

• Upvote 2

Based off what I am reading on the NCAA site It looks like he may be eligible?  Not sure.

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date).

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I think he already took a medical. He is done 

3 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

This. He already used a medical redshirt year… this was his 6th year. He has been with McCasland since 2016 at Ark State

He actually has not taken a medical redshirt yet.

16-17: Played 29 games Freshman season at Arkansas State.

17-18: Took a redshirt here while sitting out due to transfer rules at the time.

18-19: Played 30 games as a redshirt sophomore.

19-20: Played 27 games as a redshirt junior.

20-21: Missed the entire redshirt senior season due to injury but everyone’s eligibility was frozen anyways so no hardship waiver needed to be applied to get another season.

21-22: Played 9 games as a redshirt senior before going down for the year.

He could make a case because he played in 28% of our games (below the defined 30% threshold). 

The thing is, you’re supposed to be able to claim two seasons lost due to injury. Not sure he can double dip on last season and count it towards a season lost to injury when the season never counted towards his eligibility to begin with. Also saw Jareem trying to get him accounting internships for him so I think he already is looking towards starting his profession.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

17-18: Took a redshirt here while sitting out due to transfer rules at the time.

20-21: Missed the entire redshirt senior season due to injury but everyone’s eligibility was frozen anyways so no hardship waiver needed to be applied to get another season.

He could make a case because he played in 28% of our games (below the defined 30% threshold). 

The thing is, you’re supposed to be able to claim two seasons lost due to injury. Not sure he can double dip on last season and count it towards a season lost to injury when the season never counted towards his eligibility to begin with. Also saw Jareem trying to get him accounting internships for him so I think he already is looking towards starting his profession.

Thanks, BillieSee. I hope he reaches his plans and his dreams become reality. I also hope he has a tolerant sense of humor and if he reads these boards I want him to know that I thank him for the millions of hours of practice and sacrifice...the weight room, more practice, and the incredible willingness to serve and be ready all the while knowing most other students were out partying and doing what students do and, most of all I thank him for choosing our beloved North Texas !

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Ok thanks. I thought he got hurt one other time. I guess I was off. Thanks for clarifying

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

As posted by @BillySee58 he dows.  Not picking on you but you should read his post in this thread on this subject.

I wouldn’t say it’s that clear cut. Definitely a gray area, given the NCAA would have to grant him a hardship waiver in part due to missing a season that he never truly lost any eligibility to begin with (20-21).

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s that clear cut. Definitely a gray area, given the NCAA would have to grant him a hardship waiver in part due to missing a season that he never truly lost any eligibility to begin with (20-21).

How do schools play a role in this? Could UNT decline to extend or pull his scholarship for an extra year? Not saying he doesn't have value on the court but they have a budget to manage and scholarships to allocate for each sport.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

How do schools play a role in this? Could UNT decline to extend or pull his scholarship for an extra year? Not saying he doesn't have value on the court but they have a budget to manage and scholarships to allocate for each sport.

All athletic ships are technically one year.  Ships for basketball players are commonly not renewed unlike football.  

McCasland tends to give players multiple chances, but at a lot of schools if you don't produce to their standards; you're gone. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

All athletic ships are technically one year.  Ships for basketball players are commonly not renewed unlike football.  

McCasland tends to give players multiple chances, but at a lot of schools if you don't produce to their standards; you're gone. 

Understood. Wondering because while you want experience on your squad, do you want a 6th or 7th year player who's already missed an entire year to injury or do you want a young guy to come in for you to develop for the next 4-5 years? I guess if McCasland is in win-now mode to move to a better gig, he'll take the experienced player over the project. We'll see. Thanks for the explanation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1