Roster question for semi old timers

ADLER

Perhaps so.  I only remember a couple of players' names from that era.  Jalie Mitchell of course.  Then Empress Drane because that seemed like the best basketball name ever.

Empress was also really cool.  We worked together at a phone bank for a few months around 2000.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Perhaps so.  I only remember a couple of players' names from that era.  Jalie Mitchell of course.  Then Empress Drane because that seemed like the best basketball name ever.

Empress was also really cool.  We worked together at a phone bank for a few months around 2000.

I also remember a good player named Rosalyn Reade.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I also remember a good player named Rosalyn Reade.

I thought she came a couple of years after them, but perhaps I am mistaken.  Drane was older than Mitchell, I think their careers only overlapped a season or two.

Edited by CMJ

56 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

The UNT North Texans?

UNT North Texas. It just seems incredibly redundant. The person that ordered these lazy mistakes probably also used the excuse of "yeah, but the players love them, they're good for recruiting". A lie then, a lie now.

Oh well. It's not as bad as our horrible black and grey uniforms which hopefully ended this year, or the stupid blue and orange-copper that were added during the last Helwig years.

Go Mean Green! Wear It, Live It, Love It.

Men's Basketball - University of North Texas Athletics

Edited by ADLER

maybe I shouldn't have put "think" in my original post. 

it's not a game jersey. it was either a promotional thing or a Vortman's knock-off because we never had great retail licensing deals, but I remember this thing kicking around in the early 00s when I was on campus. 

the 90 is definitely representative of 1890. 

why someone went to the trouble and cost to frame that ugly thing is beyond me. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, they did.  My mind had them not overlapping as much as they did, but when I did a quick search it was their entire careers.

OT: but have we had a class exceed her career record, or is her class still the most successful In NT history?  They were exceptional at home, going 42-4 in Denton.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I believe Rosalyn played alongside Jalie.

Of course she did, both Class of 2002 . Dr. Rosalyn Reades MD, the renowned Dallas Emergency Medicine Physician at Methodist Hospital played her college career with Jalie Mitchell and had their numbers retired the same day.

They were inducted together into the North Texas Hall Of Fame in 2007.

The two remain great friends and are both having incredibly successful careers. 

Jalie Mitchell, North Texas Hall of Fame

Rosalyn Reades, North Texas Hall of Fame

(I enjoyed doing this post but this amazing subject really deserves it's own thread)

(Or Book)

(Or Movie)

Edited by ADLER

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

OT: but have we had a class exceed her career record, or is her class still the most successful In NT history?  They were exceptional at home, going 42-4 in Denton.

Still the best in NT history.  I went to a lot of women's games back then because they were just about the only winning team we had when I was in school.  Them and soccer anyway.  Men's basketball was terrible and football wasn't very good either.  Of course right after I graduated both got immediately better with JJ getting hired and the four straight conference titles in football.

17 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Still the best in NT history.  I went to a lot of women's games back then because they were just about the only winning team we had when I was in school.  

It was a fun team.  Jalie and Rosalyn were wonderful.  IIRC, those Sun Belt days were dominated by us and FIU.

I graduated before we ever got in the Sun Belt.  We were still Big West until the summer of 2001 if I recall.  I can't remember who premiere team was there.  It's funny I live amongst the BW footprint now, I feel cheated we left when we did.  🙂