• North Texas vs. UTEP

• Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Mac to SMU???

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Less than zero chance. He’s just playing the game for a contract renegotiation. SMU isn’t a step up, and as shown it’s a step down in all but finances.

Incorrect on a lot of what you've said here but apparently the draw for the UNT coach is not having to uproot his family and move halfway around the country.  Of course that could all be part of the narrative but we'll see.

It could absolutely be a negotiating tactic but money talks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Money wise, I get it. It makes sense. Career wise? Absolutely makes no sense. UNT and SMU will be conference mates and there’s no real indication that they’ll get the call up to the Big 12 anytime soon.

Judging from how quick SMU runs through coaches, it’s more likely that Grant will have an off NIT year and get shitcanned before another round of realignment happens.

Regardless, UNT needs to pay the man. Hell, give him Littrell’s contract. 

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I grew up in a town of less than 600 people in East Texas the son of two public school teachers.

I guess I missed the "going to work for daddy" track at SMU.

Why wouldn’t you name the city?  What are you hiding?

• Haha 6

Who says Hodge stays?  If Mac is getting a huge bump, I'd expect Hodge and the rest of the staff would too.  It's always been a package deal, from my understanding.  His staff is his team.

SMU, at least in name, still has 'Methodist' in their name.  Whether or not you or I think they have embarrassed/disgraced their represented church, Grant is a Christian and that could absolutely be a draw for him.  That said, uprooting from Argyle to Dallas may not be AS far as moving across the country---it is STILL uprooting your kids from their schools and friends.  Is he living in Argyle and driving to downtown Dallas every single day and working the long coaching hours along with that?  I expect that his better half will have something to say.

End of the day, SMU is a lateral move with potentially better pay if we can't/won't step up to meet it.  Hopefully this is a leverage play and we play ball.  He and his staff have earned a raise.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Could absolutely be a leverage play.  Its a business.

SMU is willing to go to 5 years at $2.75m.  

Those numbers don't make sense. He'd be getting more than Penny at Memphis for doing the same job as Jankovich. The expectation with that kind of salary is Sweet 16/Elite 8, what happens if he misses the tournament altogether? 

36 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Could absolutely be a leverage play.  Its a business.

SMU is willing to go to 5 years at $2.75m.  

No question SMU pays more. I'm guessing we could get get up to around $1.5 million. But I don't think this is all about money. McCasland is already on the verge of getting jobs way better than SMU. Why would he settle for the marginal jump up when he could get something way better next year? Career wise it doesn't make sense. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

Objectively speaking, I wonder how Mccasland’s JUCO recruiting approach would mesh with SMU. Unfamiliar fans would most likely start freaking out when the hotshot new coach starts bringing in unheralded JUCOs when they were expecting high-end 3 star HS recruits and High Major portal transfers.

• Upvote 2

Jank wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either... the AAC is a tougher conference.  Mac did a great job at UNT finding talent in the juco ranks, and players with no other offers from D1 schools, especially during the covid years.  He made it work in CUSA, but I don't know if that style of recruiting will work in the AAC. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Objectively speaking, I wonder how Mccasland’s JUCO recruiting approach would mesh with SMU. Unfamiliar fans would most likely start freaking out when the hotshot new coach starts bringing in unheralded JUCOs when they were expecting high-end 3 star HS recruits and High Major portal transfers.

They don't have any fans.  Problem solved.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

In fairness to Tim Jankovich, the 5 guys before him didn’t win an NCAA tournament game either. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, dutch said:

Right.  You can bet that "source" is Mac's agent.  It's how the game is played.  Also, know that this wasn't a snap decision and talks have probably been going on for a while.

Grant's team's pace of play (slow) is not for all recruits, fan bases, or AD's.    That was mentioned by another AD in hiring a fast-paced coach as replacement.  He didn't think his fan base would enjoy the slow game, ie difficult sell.

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Grant's team's pace of play (slow) is not for all recruits, fan bases, or AD's.    That was mentioned by another AD in hiring a fast-paced coach as replacement.  He didn't think his fan base would enjoy the slow game, ie difficult sell.

IMO, Grant's style this year was because of our lack of offensive talent. If we had more scorers I guarantee you our tempo would be a lot faster. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Are you expecting the Big 12 to expand within the next five years and take SMU? Maybe. Who knows. To me it seems like it’s mostly SMU fans pushing this narrative. It’s possible. But its a big if for Grant. If he wants the money, I don’t blame him. I’ll hate him a little for it, but that’s life.

2 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Are you expecting the Big 12 to expand within the next five years and take SMU? Maybe. Who knows. To me it seems like it’s mostly SMU fans pushing this narrative. It’s possible. But its a big if for Grant. If he wants the money, I don’t blame him. I’ll hate him a little for it, but that’s life.

The two sides have had several conversations already.  Its more than just SMU fans throwing it out there.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

14 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Incorrect on a lot of what you've said here but apparently the draw for the UNT coach is not having to uproot his family and move halfway around the country.  Of course that could all be part of the narrative but we'll see.

It could absolutely be a negotiating tactic but money talks.  

The Miller family is great, in my dealings with them I have only good things to say about them and SMU is lucky to have their support.

UNT has known about this interest for some time. Here are my two cents.

The SMU boosters I have chatted with are not supportive of their AD so I think that uncertainty is a red flag for a new coach. SMU has some heavy hitters that could certainly pay up for a coach but I think there are some other factors that wouldn’t play well for Mac I won’t go into them at length. I also think the type of recruit and defensive focus isn’t a match for SMU.

So while possible, I think UNT is prepared to counter this and other interest and I think if Mac does eventually leave he could land a “better” job than SMU. At his young age he will strongly consider future job prospects and conference affiliation not just $.

• Upvote 5

Mac played a faster pace here his first two years before transforming into a grinded it out guy.  He probably wouldn't be opposed to running a faster pace if he thought he could win with it - he just found for here we did better playing slower.

SMU can pay him more, so he could jump.  Before coming here though he showed a lot of wanderlust and I have to wonder if he doesn't want that part of his life to be over.  He's built a lot here already and unless someone in a Power League comes calling, I think it might be tough to go.  

We definitely need to increase his pay package.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

The nuclear bomb that drops here on this site if this occurs will be unbelievable. This would be the most SMU-North Texas thing since they led the SWC privates to keep us away from their precious SWC in the 70s, causing Fry to leave and for us to basically just give up on football for the next 20+ years. 

But money talks...they have it, we don't. Only hope is that Grant believes he's got better opportunities to find in the next year or so and that he believes he's got a roster to win with here in 2023. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, texx2818 said:

If we lost GM to SMU, what exactly is the point of being a UNT fan? You can lose your HC to a step down that can pay more. What would be the point, exactly?

Well, it would still be representing your school. It is still where we got a degree. I doubt SMU fans are gonna stop rooting for their football team because Dykes left them for their biggest rival at TCU.

• Upvote 1