Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Mac to SMU???


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I don't understand this rationale.  Anytime someone has the potential to triple their salary it would be professional malpractice not to at least entertain it.  It doesn't mean that its a "bad look" for UNT nor is it a bad thing for SMU if he's the guy.

I’m not saying don’t entertain it, but if he does not go to SMU now the perception will be that he said, “thanks, but no thanks”, despite the chance to triple his salary.  That is a terrible look for SMU.  If he does leave, for a lateral (at best) job in every facet except for pay, that would be a bad look for UNT.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

And the first account reporting the Mccasland traction at SMU rumor has already started to walk it back some

 

Golding is at the top of my list if we have to replace Mc. A different style of play, but like someone mentioned maybe it is time for a change. Golding is a proven recruiter, which has been the only complaint with Mc.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

I’m not saying don’t entertain it, but if he does not go to SMU now the perception will be that he said, “thanks, but no thanks”, despite the chance to triple his salary.  That is a terrible look for SMU.  If he does leave, for a lateral (at best) job in every facet except for pay, that would be a bad look for UNT.

No the perception will be that a coach had an opportunity to triple his salary without having to uproot his family.  I think the perception stuff is way overblown.  Coaches and agents won't view UNT any differently if he decides to leave for SMU.

  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Seriously? So disappointing. 

Why?  The "money is the root of all evil" mantra is nonsense.  These coaches spend nearly every waking hour grinding through practices, recruiting, donor events, etc.   They earn every last penny of what they are paid. 100 plus hour weeks are the norm.

If someone has the marketability to triple their earning potential in the coaching profession they should absolutely do it.  You owe to yourself and your family.

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Supposedly a lack of consensus among the search committee.  One person in particular wants to go for a bigger name and he usually gets his way.

Got to get their story straight so when it hits the media nobody let's it slip that Mac said no to SMU.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Do you want to take that risk? I don’t trust Wren.
I’ve been a fan since Dodge and I know a lot of y’all have been for longer, and good on you. But that would be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

Are you an alumni or did you just arrive as a fan of Dodge?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

We have a few of our own, and Brint Ryan is still an abhorrent moron who argues with kids on Twitter. Billionaire boosters have ruined college sports, and the fact that SMU is still a mid-major despite all the money in the world is more hilarious than anything else.

Dillon Lovelace, but thanks for playing.

  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Because we can lose the best coach in our history for no reason other than boomer money? FOH. Why would you want to gamble on finding someone better than Mac? Do you want Tony B again?

This is quite a leap.
Don't forget, Baker is a basketball guy.   He's the one who was able to pull McCasland from ARSt. originally.  I have no doubt that if McCasland leaves, Baker would have no problems identifying a replacement (if it's not Hodge, and if it's Hodge, I'm more than fine with that).

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Why?  The "money is the root of all evil" mantra is nonsense.  These coaches spend nearly every waking hour grinding through practices, recruiting, donor events, etc.   They earn every last penny of what they are paid. 100 plus hour weeks are the norm.

If someone has the marketability to triple their earning potential in the coaching profession they should absolutely do it.  You owe to yourself and your family.

Please don’t misquote people. The “love” of money. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

SMU owns a few homes in University Park.  Sonny's house was a block off of Hillcrest and it was owned by the university.

This is false.  SMU does own more than a few homes, but most are/were adjacent to campus for expansion.  Sonny owned his own home.  It was on Drexel, it's public record - you can look it up.  Jankovich owns his own home on Druid by HPHS.  Again, public record.  SMU used to own the University President's home on University Dr (by HP Presby), but sold it a couple years ago and now he's building his own, across the street from the former house.

If you're going to go to an opposing school's message boards and start spitting out "facts", make sure they're ALL correct, or you discredit the ones that might actually be.

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Because it’s a lateral/downgrade of a move to a “rival”.

If McCasland leaves to SMU of all places, I maintain that I’m done. It’s literally not worth it, and there is no point in being a UNT fan if SMU can just moneywhip us that badly.

Texas Tech seems to be doing just fine with Texas money whipping their coach to Austin.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Dillon Lovelace, but thanks for playing.

No, he really did mean Brint Ryan there. He hasn’t done it lately but his last activity on Twitter was exactly what texx is describing. It’s somewhat accurate in describing Lovelace as well but lacking without mentioning the racist remarks.

And I thought you didn’t like people altering your posts with the “FIFY” style edits in quote replies.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is quite a leap.
Don't forget, Baker is a basketball guy.   He's the one who was able to pull McCasland from ARSt. originally.  I have no doubt that if McCasland leaves, Baker would have no problems identifying a replacement (if it's not Hodge, and if it's Hodge, I'm more than fine with that).

Look, it’s Mccasland or Benford. There are no in betweens in potential outcomes here.

  • Haha 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Because we can lose the best coach in our history for no reason other than boomer money? FOH. Why would you want to gamble on finding someone better than Mac? Do you want Tony B again?

the confidence levels this board has in finding a replacement football coach vs a replacement basketball coach could not be further apart.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I don't understand this rationale.  Anytime someone has the potential to triple their salary it would be professional malpractice not to at least entertain it.  It doesn't mean that its a "bad look" for UNT nor is it a bad thing for SMU if he's the guy.

Agreed. This is not a lateral move, anymore than the Teas Tech coach going to UT.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

the confidence levels this board has in finding a replacement football coach vs a replacement basketball coach could not be further apart.

Benford’d!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

No, he really did mean Brint Ryan there. He hasn’t done it lately but his last activity on Twitter was exactly what texx is describing. It’s somewhat accurate in describing Lovelace as well but lacking without mentioning the racist remarks.

And I thought you didn’t like people altering your posts with the “FIFY” style edits in quote replies.

Thanks for being there to correct me. I know I can count on you. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2022 at 11:42 PM, ADLER said:

I don't think you guys get it. UNT has a MUCH better chance of hiring SMU's successful coaches than the other way around. We have more fans and a significantly higher(actual) athletic budget.

Did I stutter?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, SMU2006 said:

No the perception will be that a coach had an opportunity to triple his salary without having to uproot his family.  I think the perception stuff is way overblown.  Coaches and agents won't view UNT any differently if he decides to leave for SMU.

How’s it going dipshit?

  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.