Mac to SMU???

Marty

3 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Because we can lose the best coach in our history for no reason other than boomer money? FOH. Why would you want to gamble on finding someone better than Mac? Do you want Tony B again?

"boomer money".  Pretty sure the bank doesn't care if you're 20 or 80 if the money is green.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Because we can lose the best coach in our history for no reason other than boomer money? FOH. Why would you want to gamble on finding someone better than Mac? Do you want Tony B again?

The love of money is the root of ALL evil. 

Mac is not the only good BB coach out there. 

Don't think we’ll make the same mistake we made with the Benford hire. At least I hope not. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Because we have to. We have to compete against that money, no matter if he stays or goes. Whether it is him coaching that team or not, that is our competition. Our expectation here is to win conference championships. With or without him.

1 minute ago, texx2818 said:

Do you want to take that risk? I don’t trust Wren.
I’ve been a fan since Dodge and I know a lot of y’all have been for longer, and good on you. But that would be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

We have to hope and trust that Baker, the Board, Big donors and Administration have the wisdom, understanding and discretion needed to make the right decision. Or that they at least know where to go if they don’t.   

• Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I’ve been a fan since Dodge and I know a lot of y’all have been for longer, and good on you. But that would be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

RV was really bad at coaching hires. McCasland was Wren's first big hire, and so far so good.

• Upvote 1

Oh my god the world will not burn down if Grant goes to SMU. That’s just businesses. And he is a wonderful guy family guy who loves where he’s at, which is why it would make sense for him to go to SMU. It’s just down the road, his kids can stay in argyle, and he makes more money. Sorry, he is not Jesus, and I would be happy for him if he took a different job to move his career. Everyone’s reaction is so weird here. 

• Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

And my point is that I don’t trust them. We currently have the greatest coach ever at UNT and we just are fine being like “oh, go ahead and go because Littrell sucks”

Well, nothing I can say but that’s a bad place to be in. 

If this is the worse thing that happens to all of us then we’re in good shape. 

37 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The fact that it hasn't happened yet, makes me more hopeful.  As I said yesterday afternoon when these things start to happen, they tend to go really fast once the rumor gets out there.  Every hour it doesn't makes it less likely it will.

And the first account reporting the Mccasland traction at SMU rumor has already started to walk it back some

55 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I don't understand this rationale.  Anytime someone has the potential to triple their salary it would be professional malpractice not to at least entertain it.  It doesn't mean that its a "bad look" for UNT nor is it a bad thing for SMU if he's the guy.

I’m not saying don’t entertain it, but if he does not go to SMU now the perception will be that he said, “thanks, but no thanks”, despite the chance to triple his salary.  That is a terrible look for SMU.  If he does leave, for a lateral (at best) job in every facet except for pay, that would be a bad look for UNT.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

And the first account reporting the Mccasland traction at SMU rumor has already started to walk it back some

Golding is at the top of my list if we have to replace Mc. A different style of play, but like someone mentioned maybe it is time for a change. Golding is a proven recruiter, which has been the only complaint with Mc.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

I’m not saying don’t entertain it, but if he does not go to SMU now the perception will be that he said, “thanks, but no thanks”, despite the chance to triple his salary.  That is a terrible look for SMU.  If he does leave, for a lateral (at best) job in every facet except for pay, that would be a bad look for UNT.

No the perception will be that a coach had an opportunity to triple his salary without having to uproot his family.  I think the perception stuff is way overblown.  Coaches and agents won't view UNT any differently if he decides to leave for SMU.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Seriously? So disappointing. 

Why?  The "money is the root of all evil" mantra is nonsense.  These coaches spend nearly every waking hour grinding through practices, recruiting, donor events, etc.   They earn every last penny of what they are paid. 100 plus hour weeks are the norm.

If someone has the marketability to triple their earning potential in the coaching profession they should absolutely do it.  You owe to yourself and your family.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4

10 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Supposedly a lack of consensus among the search committee.  One person in particular wants to go for a bigger name and he usually gets his way.

Got to get their story straight so when it hits the media nobody let's it slip that Mac said no to SMU.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Are you an alumni or did you just arrive as a fan of Dodge?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

We have a few of our own, and Brint Ryan is still an abhorrent moron who argues with kids on Twitter. Billionaire boosters have ruined college sports, and the fact that SMU is still a mid-major despite all the money in the world is more hilarious than anything else.

Dillon Lovelace, but thanks for playing.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

59 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

This is quite a leap.
Don't forget, Baker is a basketball guy.   He's the one who was able to pull McCasland from ARSt. originally.  I have no doubt that if McCasland leaves, Baker would have no problems identifying a replacement (if it's not Hodge, and if it's Hodge, I'm more than fine with that).

• Upvote 7

39 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Why?  The "money is the root of all evil" mantra is nonsense.  These coaches spend nearly every waking hour grinding through practices, recruiting, donor events, etc.   They earn every last penny of what they are paid. 100 plus hour weeks are the norm.

If someone has the marketability to triple their earning potential in the coaching profession they should absolutely do it.  You owe to yourself and your family.

Please don’t misquote people. The “love” of money. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1