Mac to SMU???

Marty

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Ok this is interesting. Joe Golding's sister is married to Sonny Dykes. I realize he's not at SMU anymore but I wonder if that'll affect anything (animosity towards Dykes). Relationships play a big part in who gets what job in the coaching world. @SMU2006any word there?

I can't believe that Joe Golding would be one of the WOW candidates mentioned earlier.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

I can't believe that Joe Golding would be one of the WOW candidates mentioned earlier.  

Why not? 2 NCAA appearances at ACU including an upset win over Texas? The guy can coach.

Edit: needed to add he oversaw ACU going from D2 to D1 and accomplished those 2 NCAA appearances within about 7 or 8 years from going up to D1.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just my 2 cents. I think McCasland to SMU would be a horrible choice for SMU. Unlike what he came into at UNT, SMU’s program is in much better shape. The expectation to win and win big would be like nothing he experienced at UNT, Arkansas St or Midwestern St.

Though the man has a history of turning around down trodden programs, SMU is not looking for a guy to win a CBI tournament or win 1 game in the NCAA or NIT.

Grant has done miracles at UNT. However, you can’t say the UNT program is better than SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, A&M or UT. SMU has aspirations of still competing against the old SWC schools and/or competing nationally. Totally different ball game for Grant who has not been in the home of top HS recruit in Texas that I am aware of. That will have to change. 

Why would SMU open up the checkbook for a guy whose team averaged about 60 points per game. That’s not going to get George W and Laura Bush out to games on a Tuesday nights

Where there is smoke, there’s fire.  No need to stress out Mean Green fans over losing him. It’s inevitable (this year or next) And no, I’m not for paying $1 more to retain him. There would be a long line to accept a $700k salary; when this jobs comes available. Good coaching is being done at Texas St, SFA, Abilene Christian and TSU. Appears we are so paranoid about a second sighting of Tony Benford/Vic Trilli. 

Yes, I would like to see a winning (up tempo offense) in the PIT.  Not excited about the assistant head coach taking over and possibly retaining the same style of play.

Just my opinion

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, Cooley said:

Just my 2 cents. I think McCasland to SMU would be a horrible choice for SMU. Unlike what he came into at UNT, SMU’s program is in much better shape. The expectation to win and win big would be like nothing he experienced at UNT, Arkansas St or Midwestern St.

Though the man has a history of turning around down trodden programs, SMU is not looking for a guy to win a CBI tournament or win 1 game in the NCAA or NIT.

Grant has done miracles at UNT. However, you can’t say the UNT program is better than SMU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, A&M or UT. SMU has aspirations of still competing against the old SWC schools and/or competing nationally. Totally different ball game for Grant who has not been in the home of top HS recruit in Texas that I am aware of. That will have to change. 

Why would SMU open up the checkbook for a guy whose team averaged about 60 points per game. That’s not going to get George W and Laura Bush out to games on a Tuesday nights

Where there is smoke, there’s fire.  No need to stress out Mean Green fans over losing him. It’s inevitable (this year or next) And no, I’m not for paying $1 more to retain him. There would be a long line to accept a $700k salary; when this jobs comes available. Good coaching is being done at Texas St, SFA, Abilene Christian and TSU. Appears we are so paranoid about a second sighting of Tony Benford/Vic Trilli. 

Yes, I would like to see a winning (up tempo offense) in the PIT.  Not excited about the assistant head coach taking over and possibly retaining the same style of play.

Just my opinion

Agree! 

LEARN FROM THE LITTRELL  DISASTER AND THE BENFORD DUMPSTER FIRE. 

LET HIM GO TO SMU. WE WILL BE JUST FINE. 

JUST MAKE THE RIGHT HIRE AT THE RIGHT PAY. 

DON’T PANIC. 

TIME FOR CHANGE. 

SIDE NOTE: I felt Mac’s post game interview sounded more like a coach that knew he had coached his last game at UNT. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

How is it not? Nothing looks more small time than losing your coach to another mid-major down the road. Saying that, he’s not going anywhere. I just mean the fact that this rumor is out is a bad look.

It’s a bad look for us if he leaves for SMU, and a terrible look for them if he stays.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, glick1980 said:

It’s a bad look for us if he leaves for SMU, and a terrible look for them if he stays.

I don't understand this rationale.  Anytime someone has the potential to triple their salary it would be professional malpractice not to at least entertain it.  It doesn't mean that its a "bad look" for UNT nor is it a bad thing for SMU if he's the guy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

The fact that it hasn't happened yet, makes me more hopeful.  As I said yesterday afternoon when these things start to happen, they tend to go really fast once the rumor gets out there.  Every hour it doesn't makes it less likely it will.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, texx2818 said:

Because it’s a lateral/downgrade of a move to a “rival”.

If McCasland leaves to SMU of all places, I maintain that I’m done. It’s literally not worth it, and there is no point in being a UNT fan if SMU can just moneywhip us that badly.

DONE?  WHY?

Good grief  

There is NO guarantee that Mac will be successful at SMU and there is NO reason to believe that we can’t and won’t do better than Mac. 

Maybe it’s time for change?

Everyone chill!!! 

• Upvote 6