Mac to SMU???

Marty

4 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

What I don't understand is why can we not agree to offer him whatever the SMU offer is?  Doesn't Mac at least owe us the last look?

Of course he would.  I don't know that we can keep up with this kind of money though.  

• Upvote 3

More to the job than money.  Environment, growth potential, relationship with the administration, relationship with the fans/alumni, quality of life, etc...  Sure, smu can money whip us, but they don't touch us with the other points.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

What I don't understand is why can we not agree to offer him whatever the SMU offer is?  Doesn't Mac at least owe us the last look?

Jank made $2mil last year at SMU.   If that's SMU's opening offer for McCasland, that's going to be very very difficult to come up with.   
McCasland only made $600k base salary ($800k after incentives) this year.   NT would have to push up over 7 figures with the base salary to even compete with SMU.  And even after that, we're going to have to rely heavily on what he's built here over the past 6 seasons, & not wanting to leave it.  If NT can win that case... we might just have a Greg McDermott (immense success at Creighton with a $1.2mil base salary) on our hands.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

Guys, you are smoking crack if you think that a coach would turn down $2 million+ a year for 5 years vs $700,000 to do the same job. Would you? When you are hot you grab the brass ring. Remember when Littrell was hot? Regarding loyalty , his loyalty is too his family, not an institution that would have no qualms about showing him the door if things go south. This is a business decision that he may or may not have an opportunity to make. Lets not get our panties in a wad over something we can't control.

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

The Mark Few's of the world are very "few."  It's tough to turn down huge money to go elsewhere.  Obviously Few did long enough for Gonzaga to compensate him for that loyalty.  We all want Mac to be something similar but who knows if he will be.  Few is one in a million.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, wardly said:

Guys, you are smoking crack if you think that a coach would turn down $2 million+ a year for 5 years vs $700,000 to do the same job. Would you? When you are hot you grab the brass ring. Remember when Littrell was hot? Regarding loyalty , his loyalty is too his family, not an institution that would have no qualms about showing him the door if things go south. This is a business decision that he may or may not have an opportunity to make. Lets not get our panties in a wad over something we can't control.

I think we all agree he’s underpaid. I’m hoping the AD can get him in the 1.2-1.5 range. If they can’t then there’s no hope. But after that, the choice is a little less clear if his end goal is to coach in a power conference. If SMU offers 2.5 like has been suggested, his buyout will end up being significant. I doubt that will be a major impediment to a power conference school, but he’s going to have to kill it at SMU because we all know his success at UNT will be downplayed.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

I mean, Mark Few has a reported salary around $2 million at Gonzaga. I'm sure he's turned down more to go elsewhere or at least could get more elsewhere if he wanted. Same with McDermott at Creighton at about $1.3 million. Not everybody is money motivated. You see it with pro athletes too. Some people are already making what they believe to be life changing money and are happy to stay where they are...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

But is it worth starting all over at another mid-major and burning bridges when he could wait another year and get a high profile job that pays him $3+ million? 

Littrell leaving for K-State made a lot more sense than Grant leaving for SMU. K-State is a massive step up from UNT. You can't say the same thing about SMU. Especially, when we're about to be in the same conference. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Depends. If Amazon came to me and offered to double my salary to do my same job but for them I’d tell them to pound sand. There’s a point where morality has to come into play. SMU is a deeply rooted racist university with a long and storied history of cheating recent and ancient.

WTF? 🤣

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

Especially, when we're about to be in the same conference. 

This right here. I've been wondering if UNT can include a salary bump when we move to the AAC to account for the increase in revenue/TV money. We get $500k in the CUSA. AAC teams get $7 million. Could Wren say, "hey, I can bump you to $1.2 million now, but once we get to the AAC in a year, I can get you another million with the extra TV money."

Frankly, it'll be critical to use that TV contract money to do everything possible to remain successful in preparation for the next AAC TV contract in 2030.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

If grant leaves, Hodge has to be a slam dunk hire. (Pun intended). I’m not worried and I’d never boo Grant.  He has my utmost respect.

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

The biggest issue is the perception and recruiting damage Grant leaving would inflict.

55 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would always respect him for what he did here, but he understands the feelings towards SMU. He goes there and all gloves are off as far as booing/voicing displeasure from our fan base.

There are only 2 schools that would lead me to boo one of our coaches leaving, one is in San Antonio and the other is those Dallas snobs with their Mercedes.

35759e5510e47950ba826a8d7c79a94a.jpg

We should have special buyout provisions prohibiting coaches from leaving us for either of those two or a clause that makes the buyout like $50million if you leave for one of the two. Being here for 5 years should be enough time for you to know there are only 2 places that are off limits. If you step in that bear trap, you deserve the hate you get.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I mean, Mark Few has a reported salary around $2 million at Gonzaga. I'm sure he's turned down more to go elsewhere or at least could get more elsewhere if he wanted. Same with McDermott at Creighton at about $1.3 million. Not everybody is money motivated. You see it with pro athletes too. Some people are already making what they believe to be life changing money and are happy to stay where they are...

Knowing the type of guy Mac is I feel like he would be advocating bumps for his staff first and himself 2nd if he stays at UNT.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This right here. I've been wondering if UNT can include a salary bump when we move to the AAC to account for the increase in revenue/TV money. We get $500k in the CUSA. AAC teams get $7 million. Could Wren say, "hey, I can bump you to $1.2 million now, but once we get to the AAC in a year, I can get you another million with the extra TV money."

Frankly, it'll be critical to use that TV contract money to do everything possible to remain successful in preparation for the next AAC TV contract in 2030.

New members will likely be staggered with payouts meaning we won't get the full payout off the bat. No one knows what we will get but rumors are that it will be 2m and increasing every year. It also covers our entrance fee IIRC. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

But is it worth starting all over at another mid-major and burning bridges when he could wait another year and get a high profile job that pays him $3+ million? 

Littrell leaving for K-State made a lot more sense than Grant leaving for SMU. K-State is a massive step up from UNT. You can't say the same thing about SMU. Especially, when we're about to be in the same conference. 

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as my generation used to say. Assuming he is offered the SMU job at $2.5 million in the bird in the hand. So what if next year he has injuries, transfers, etc. and bombs. He is no longer hot.Instead  he becomes like Littrell, not.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

SMU may be able to money whip him to be the next HC but I have doubts he's a good fit for the school/program culture wise. I guess if SMU pays him $2.5 million, then he could easily command $4 million when a legitimate P5 comes calling if all he does is maintain the success SMU has seen recently. 

• Upvote 2

In an earlier post I stated we needed to pay him SL money 1.25 million — now add —plus insensitives that would push his money to 2-2.5 million (2.5 if he delivers the natty). We also need to make this a 5 year deal. 250k additional for assistants and support staff (Mac chooses the breakdown). The buy out is the remaining total of the contract but never drops below 2 million.

The greenbacks are green but the grass ain’t always greener. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Based on what I have heard, I think McCasland is a red herring. Maybe not off the table but not the #1 they are trying to close

Good potential damage control if needed & if Mac were offered but said: “I’ve got a better overall situation for me & my entire family where we are. Heck! We could be the next Gonzaga.”

Is Dave Bliss available?  He’s got “the attitude” & would fit right in.  (Your AD should tell him Big 12 members are just begging their Commish’ for another Texas-based member in DFW to recruit against). 🙄

(Lot of wasted mental energy over all this if you think about it).  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1