Mac to SMU???

Marty

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

McCasland is the kind of guy that might also run off some of your better returning performers in order to get his guys in.   We were all shocked when AJ Lawson left in year 1 of McCasland, followed by Mo Gibson the next year.   
Would SMU faithful be as patient with McCasland if he happened to run off a returning stud like Zhuric Phelps with his "coach your hard, love you harder" philosophy (getting chewed-out for a mistake, mid-court during a game)?  I don't know if they would.

SMU is losing virtually ALL of their top producing players, btw.  Unless they backfill with some serious transfers, they're going to have a rough time next season, even if they hired zombie Wooden.

Yup. Which is where my "(roster...)" part comes in. It's starting over from scratch.

26 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

With our multi-pronged NIL groups coordinating together and the transfer portal I'm not concerned in the least with being able to put a quality roster on the court next season.

No disrespect, but this shows a lack of understanding for the type of coach Grant is. He is tough on his guys. He really digs into them and some players don't like to be handled that way. If my memory serves me right, he and a player practically had to be separated in a game this year. I don't think he'd be successful with a team of NIL bought highschool all-americans who think they're the coolest thing since sliced bread. If that's your (SMU's) expectation, you're not going to be happy with the result. UNT has the underdog mentality down to the last Super Pit employee. Pampered athletes who feel they're above the HC won't work with him. Not saying that's who you have now, but that's what you'll get throwing money at top athletes to come to your school.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yup. Which is where my "(roster...)" part comes in. It's starting over from scratch.

No disrespect, but this shows a lack of understanding for the type of coach Grant is. He is tough on his guys. He really digs into them and some players don't like to be handled that way. If my memory serves me right, he and a player practically had to be separated in a game this year. I don't think he'd be successful with a team of NIL bought highschool all-americans who think they're the coolest thing since sliced bread. If that's your (SMU's) expectation, you're not going to be happy with the result. UNT has the underdog mentality down to the Super Pit employee. Pampered athletes who feel they're above the HC won't work with him. Not saying that's who you have now, but that's what you'll get throwing money at top athletes to come to your school.

No disrespect taken!  That's an interesting take.

At the end of the day NIL is going to be the coin of the realm for revenue sports in college athletics.  Coaches are going to have to adapt to it just like administrators, fans, and players.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

It’s a P5, with chances for a natty. AAC is not. He took a promotion for a chance at making his legacy in the CFP.

AAC has done well, athletically, to put them in position to compete for actual national championships. Cincy in football this year, UH making the final 4 last year and another deep run this year. Granted, I get they are leaving, but the point is that the AAC administrators positioned that conference very well for national relevance. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

FYI I think this is wrapped up in the next 24 hours.

FWIW, @SMU2006:

If you're right about all this, I'll be very sad to lose McCasland and know that the news will only fuel the rivalry between SMU and UNT...

But I'll also have great respect and appreciation for you getting on this board and shooting us straight with the info you had from your sources.

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I will have no problem booing McCasland harder then any coach I ever have if he goes to SMU. 

Beard vs Adams type atmosphere, minus death threats, I would assume?

Talk about intense! I would want a badass pregame hype video to go with it

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

No disrespect taken!  That's an interesting take.

At the end of the day NIL is going to be the coin of the realm for revenue sports in college athletics.  Coaches are going to have to adapt to it just like administrators, fans, and players.  

To an extent. Not every program has the means to pay their players unless those programs and their conferences get a bigger piece of the NCAA TV deal pie. Grant doesn't seem like the type of guy to care about your NIL money or how big of a recruit you are and he won't put up with nonsense regardless. This is a former walk-on. People talk about it as the great comeback Cinderella story but they don't consider the mindset that comes along with that story. Big money NIL doesnt exactly scream underdog story. This would be square peg, round hole. I won't be surprised if he goes but I'll be surprised if he finds more success at SMU than he has here.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Mac has not said he is staying at UNT so anything is possible.  

It'd be possible even if he had.  Coaches promise they're staying and then leave all the time.  I'm not saying he's is or isn't, but some comment he did or didn't make a few days ago isn't gonna keep him from taking a new gig if a bank vault is opened up.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I do respect the fact that per latest rumors, SMU better “pony up” per se if they want his services. At least he won’t come cheap and wants to get generational wealth.

Would always respect him for what he did here, but he understands the feelings towards SMU. He goes there and all gloves are off as far as booing/voicing displeasure from our fan base.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

If he goes, you boo him out of the gym after we whip their ass.

And when he stays, you give the man a standing ovation.  I love McCasland and how he represents our university, and because of his character, I expect him to stay here and sign a well deserved extension.

• Upvote 7