Mac to SMU???

Marty

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU needs to be very careful with how they approach this, because if Mr. Miller decides to lowball, believing that the "step up" to SMU is worth a little off the top, he's going to torpedo the conversation before it even begins.

If Wren can somehow get McCasland up to $1.5mil/yr, I have no doubt it would take SMU doubling that to get him.   

That said, we've learned this lesson before folks.   
Don't bid yourself into a hole you can't climb out of if things happen to go south when a top assistant (coach Hodge) gets hired away and the wheels fall off:
seth-littrell-on-changing-cultur-365x235

SMU probably wants to do two things. Buy him out and get a young coach they can sell as the next Scott Drew. And watch us fall down again and give up, which is what they will be counting on. It'll be up to us not to do that this time...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of the responsibility falls on Wren's shoulders here.  He has to get to the big donors and ask for their help.   I would argue keeping Mac is worth putting off any other projects or anything else.  I am so damn mad that we continue to be saddled with Littrell's salary though that really hurts.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

And no shame, some of those boos would be from me. If he were to actually take a step up to a bigger, prominant program, I'd cheer for him but SMU doesn't make sense except for of course the number SMU may be willing to pay.

Yeah, and when I say it wouldn’t reach Tech levels of petty, I mean Grant wouldn’t be hated to that level. UNT fans would be upset and angry.. but hate is strong. I would boo to voice my displeasure while still acknowledging and respecting what he did for the program. 

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That said, we've learned this lesson before folks.   
Don't bid yourself into a hole you can't climb out of if things happen to go south when a top assistant (coach Hodge) gets hired away and the wheels fall off:

seth-littrell-on-changing-cultur-365x235

This can't be overstated.

I'd love to keep McCasland because I think he's a great fit for the university and he has performed.

However, past performance does not guarantee future performance so we should make a great offer to try to keep McCasland and continue building upon the momentum, but not so high that we're stuck for years if things don't go as planned.

If another school offers McCasland an astronomical number that we can't reasonably compete with, I think we should shift focus to promoting Hodge to head coach.

• Upvote 4

I guess the question for Grant would be, do you want to start over at SMU (roster, coaching staff if Hodge gets a HC job, recruiting, etc...) or ride this wave and see if you can't get a bigger gig in a year or two. When a new coach comes, some players leave, and you have to start over with getting your kind of guys. It could take a year or two for him to get his plan in place. Starting over could mean a year or two of bad records which could hamper or flat-out put the nail in the coffin for a bigger job in the next 2-3 years.

If money is what he wants, he'll go to SMU. If he wants career trajectory, he'll stay here. He's a year or two away from a big job here. That clock starts over at SMU.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

If another school offers McCasland an astronomical number that we can't reasonably compete with, I think we should shift focus to promoting Hodge to head coach.

I've never been on board with hiring an assistant coach to replace a departed HC simply because he was already here (like many were hoping Chico was promoted after McCarney, or Harrell was promoted if Littrell had taken the KSSt job), but in this case, I would 100% be on-board with this decision.

• Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Someone starts a thread about your coach being rumored to be headed to SMU.  I'm not starting SMU threads.  Might wanna direct that venom elsewhere.

FWIW I have heard the UNT coach is the top target.  Doesn't mean he takes the job but apparently he's been the top candidate for a month.

I wasn't talking about starting threads.  I was talking about smu fans that can't seem to stay away from our board.

• Upvote 1

Big 12 will still be a power conference in basketball and for this conversation that's all that matters.

Going from one school in the same league to another (like we're about to be with the Mustangs) can happen.  Beard and Tubby Smith going from Georgia to Kentucky are two that come to mind, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.  I think we should prepare ourselves for the possibility, but I also don't think we should commit seppuku.  Every hour that goes by where it doesn't happen makes it less likely IMHO.  These things seem to happen fast when they happen.

• Upvote 1

This will definitely hurt our brand if it comes to fruition. Things like this is why its difficult for people to become T-shirt fans. Consistent success both on the field/court and in hiring is what gets us actual brand recognition. We have to act like the bigger programs, pay up the best mens BBall coach we have every had, and embrace athletics as a way to push the brand recognition. Being a nationally known school in the likes of athletics helps everyone associated with the university. Im still a huge fan of the mean green but without any actual ties to the school itself (born in dfw, I just picked the closest D1 university without religious affiliation)  stuff like this can really wear thin on us T-shirt fans. Sometimes feels like we will never have the support needed to make an actual impact in relevant D1 sports.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I guess the question for Grant would be, do you want to start over at SMU (roster, coaching staff if Hodge gets a HC job, recruiting, etc...) or ride this wave and see if you can't get a bigger gig in a year or two. When a new coach comes, some players leave, and you have to start over with getting your kind of guys. It could take a year or two for him to get his plan in place. Starting over could mean a year or two of bad records which could hamper or flat-out put the nail in the coffin for a bigger job in the next 2-3 years.

If money is what he wants, he'll go to SMU. If he wants career trajectory, he'll stay here. He's a year or two away from a big job here. That clock starts over at SMU.

McCasland is the kind of guy that might also run off some of your better returning performers in order to get his guys in.   We were all shocked when AJ Lawson left in year 1 of McCasland, followed by Mo Gibson the next year.   
Would SMU faithful be as patient with McCasland if he happened to run off a returning stud like Zhuric Phelps with his "coach your hard, love you harder" philosophy (getting chewed-out for a mistake, mid-court during a game)?  I don't know if they would.

SMU is losing virtually ALL of their top producing players, btw.  Unless they backfill with some serious transfers, they're going to have a rough time next season, even if they hired zombie Wooden.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The Big 12 that Sonny is joining is about to be a glorified G5. 

Lmao this is just straight up not true. Baylor, Tech, OSU, Iowa, Kansas…. All massive programs that are getting ‘left behind’ - and then the three best G5 conferences moving too. The top is still very heavy in the big 12. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

McCasland is the kind of guy that might also run off some of your better returning performers in order to get his guys in.   We were all shocked when AJ Lawson left in year 1 of McCasland, followed by Mo Gibson the next year.   
Would SMU faithful be as patient with McCasland if he happened to run off a returning stud like Zhuric Phelps with his "coach your hard, love you harder" philosophy (getting chewed-out for a mistake, mid-court during a game)?  I don't know if they would.

SMU is losing virtually ALL of their top producing players, btw.  Unless they backfill with some serious transfers, they're going to have a rough time next season, even if they hired zombie Wooden.

With our multi-pronged NIL groups coordinating together and the transfer portal I'm not concerned in the least with being able to put a quality roster on the court next season.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, denton_days said:

Lmao this is just straight up not true. Baylor, Tech, OSU, Iowa, Kansas…. All massive programs that are getting ‘left behind’ - and then the three best G5 conferences moving too. The top is still very heavy in the big 12. 

Talkin' football with Sonny.  The new Big 12 will be very hard pressed to get a team into the playoff (especially if they stay at four).

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I think a lot of the responsibility falls on Wren's shoulders here.  He has to get to the big donors and ask for their help.   I would argue keeping Mac is worth putting off any other projects or anything else.  I am so damn mad that we continue to be saddled with Littrell's salary though that really hurts.

We are overpaying for an AD, so who says we don't have the funds to make McCasland an offer he deserves from the better university.

My comment about overpaying for an AD is not a shot at Baker, but he makes way more than his peers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1