Mac to SMU???

Marty

14 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

In fairness to Tim Jankovich, the 5 guys before him didn’t win an NCAA tournament game either. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, dutch said:

Right.  You can bet that "source" is Mac's agent.  It's how the game is played.  Also, know that this wasn't a snap decision and talks have probably been going on for a while.

Grant's team's pace of play (slow) is not for all recruits, fan bases, or AD's.    That was mentioned by another AD in hiring a fast-paced coach as replacement.  He didn't think his fan base would enjoy the slow game, ie difficult sell.

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Grant's team's pace of play (slow) is not for all recruits, fan bases, or AD's.    That was mentioned by another AD in hiring a fast-paced coach as replacement.  He didn't think his fan base would enjoy the slow game, ie difficult sell.

IMO, Grant's style this year was because of our lack of offensive talent. If we had more scorers I guarantee you our tempo would be a lot faster. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

How quick SMU runs through coaches?  Jank has been here as a HC for 6 years.  Zero NCAA tourney wins and alienated the big money boosters.  He knew he was out when SMU lost in the AAC Tournament.

Are you expecting the Big 12 to expand within the next five years and take SMU? Maybe. Who knows. To me it seems like it’s mostly SMU fans pushing this narrative. It’s possible. But its a big if for Grant. If he wants the money, I don’t blame him. I’ll hate him a little for it, but that’s life.

2 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Are you expecting the Big 12 to expand within the next five years and take SMU? Maybe. Who knows. To me it seems like it’s mostly SMU fans pushing this narrative. It’s possible. But its a big if for Grant. If he wants the money, I don’t blame him. I’ll hate him a little for it, but that’s life.

The two sides have had several conversations already.  Its more than just SMU fans throwing it out there.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

14 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Incorrect on a lot of what you've said here but apparently the draw for the UNT coach is not having to uproot his family and move halfway around the country.  Of course that could all be part of the narrative but we'll see.

It could absolutely be a negotiating tactic but money talks.  

The Miller family is great, in my dealings with them I have only good things to say about them and SMU is lucky to have their support.

UNT has known about this interest for some time. Here are my two cents.

The SMU boosters I have chatted with are not supportive of their AD so I think that uncertainty is a red flag for a new coach. SMU has some heavy hitters that could certainly pay up for a coach but I think there are some other factors that wouldn’t play well for Mac I won’t go into them at length. I also think the type of recruit and defensive focus isn’t a match for SMU.

So while possible, I think UNT is prepared to counter this and other interest and I think if Mac does eventually leave he could land a “better” job than SMU. At his young age he will strongly consider future job prospects and conference affiliation not just $.

• Upvote 5

Mac played a faster pace here his first two years before transforming into a grinded it out guy.  He probably wouldn't be opposed to running a faster pace if he thought he could win with it - he just found for here we did better playing slower.

SMU can pay him more, so he could jump.  Before coming here though he showed a lot of wanderlust and I have to wonder if he doesn't want that part of his life to be over.  He's built a lot here already and unless someone in a Power League comes calling, I think it might be tough to go.  

We definitely need to increase his pay package.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

The nuclear bomb that drops here on this site if this occurs will be unbelievable. This would be the most SMU-North Texas thing since they led the SWC privates to keep us away from their precious SWC in the 70s, causing Fry to leave and for us to basically just give up on football for the next 20+ years. 

But money talks...they have it, we don't. Only hope is that Grant believes he's got better opportunities to find in the next year or so and that he believes he's got a roster to win with here in 2023. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, texx2818 said:

If we lost GM to SMU, what exactly is the point of being a UNT fan? You can lose your HC to a step down that can pay more. What would be the point, exactly?

Well, it would still be representing your school. It is still where we got a degree. I doubt SMU fans are gonna stop rooting for their football team because Dykes left them for their biggest rival at TCU.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, CMJ said:

We definitely need to increase his pay package.

If we can offer something closer to 1.5 mil, maybe we can hold onto him vs. what Jank was making.  If the above poster is right about SMU willing to go up to 2.75 mil, I don't think we hang onto Grant.

Also, very aware that coaches like to stay together until assistants get a HC offer.  Not sure what will unfold with Hodge, but he would be my first choice to replace Grant.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I’m so worried about this guys.  This time Just feels different.  This tweet from Goodman is all over social media.  We have to hope and pray that SMU does not outbid us and they have deep pockets.

They will outbid us. Without question. Does Grant want to wait it out for a better job/settle for a small raise, or does he want to chase the money? We’ll find out soon enough.

He did leave Arkansas State after a year so maybe he’s a job hopper. Though I’d take a pay cut to leave Jonesboro lol

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

If we lost GM to SMU, what exactly is the point of being a UNT fan? You can lose your HC to a step down that can pay more. What would be the point, exactly?

Its a business.  A bunch of SMU fans were upset that Sonny left us for TCU but that's the way it goes.  Reload and go get the next guy.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

Its a business.  A bunch of SMU fans were upset that Sonny left us for TCU but that's the way it goes.  Reload and go get the next guy.

Exactly. If Grant gets a fat raise, so be it. Only loyalty he should have is to his family. 

I do think neglecting athletics and the alumni base for 30 years is really coming around to bite us when we need it the most. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

If Mac goes to SMU how do we act in 2023-24 when he comes to the super pit?

Also the coaching carrousel is the reason why the transfer portal does not bother me.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Oh he’d get booed for sure. It wouldn’t be Tech levels of petty but he would definitely hear it. 

If this happens, I’m all for Tech levels of petty because the level of hate towards all things SMU would go to 11.

Nuclear levels of hate abound.

hate-hate-hate-yeah.gif

• Upvote 6

SMU needs to be very careful with how they approach this, because if Mr. Miller decides to lowball, believing that the "step up" to SMU is worth a little off the top, he's going to torpedo the conversation before it even begins.

If Wren can somehow get McCasland up to $1.5mil/yr, I have no doubt it would take SMU doubling that to get him.   

That said, we've learned this lesson before folks.   
Don't bid yourself into a hole you can't climb out of if things happen to go south when a top assistant (coach Hodge) gets hired away and the wheels fall off:
seth-littrell-on-changing-cultur-365x235

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Exactly. If Grant gets a fat raise, so be it. Only loyalty he should have is to his family. 

I do think neglecting athletics and the alumni base for 30 years is really coming around to bite us when we need it the most. 

Agreed with meanJewGreen and SMU2006 ... UNT should try its very best to keep Mac.  If we can't keep him and he jumps for a 1.5x or 2x raise, then great for him and his family - I'll be the first to congratulate him.

If we lose Mac, then we should go get the very best HC we can get with Mac's current salary or some type of bump ... but losing Mac wouldn't be the end of the world nor the end of UNT Basketball.  🙂  Who knows... the next guy may bring something that helps get UNT to the next level (back to the NCAA semi-sweet 32 or the sweet 16).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1